• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2014

Ann_T

Sunnyside egg on avocado, sprinkled with "Slap Ya Mama" seasoning, tomato slices with basil and feta cheese, blackpepper crusted bacon...Good Morning! It's a sunny day after 15 cm of fresh snow yesterday...

SunnysideEggOnSunnyWindow0608.jpg

RunnyYolk0611.jpg

• Like 5

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

When you are a singleton and cook the book

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/147510-cooking-from-my-paris-kitchen/

you find yourself with mountains of leftovers to deal with. Usually I can pass them on to my daughter and her family. But she is currently under the spell of a modern day Shaman and can only eat food grown by vestal virgins in enchanted forests. Hence breakfast today is re-heated mustard chicken and naan bread, both from My Paris Kitchen.

.image.jpg

I tossed some naan dough into a zippy with a bit of oil and it bakes up just fine. The rest of the chicken I froze in single serving sizes with a bit of added cream.

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Regarding peeling eggs.  With Easter coming everyone and his brother is offering 'tricks' for easy peeling eggs in every magazine I've seen.  I recently had a few to peeling and tried one of the tricks I'd remembered (might be from CI - not sure).  It worked amazingly well for some and not quite as well for others, but overall better than any other method I've tried.  Here it is, for what it's worth:  crack the egg all over.  Take a teaspoon (silverware, not measuring) and holding the bowl side of the spoon towards the egg, ease the tip of the spoon into a crack and slide it around under the shell.  This sounds fussy and fiddly, but really isn't once you've done it a couple of times.  I found that I could slip off the majority of the shell in 2-3 tries most of the time.  

• Like 1

I surely must have posted this elsewhere on this site, but in high school holidays I worked as a breakfast cook for construction workers. Lots of eggs! I would boil 5 dozen at a time. To get the shells off, I put all the eggs in the water and stabbed them Psycho-style with a chef's knife. The water pressure keeps the egg in the shell while boiling, but the slit in the shell allows water in to separate the shell from the membrane inside, which makes the shell easier to get off. Once boiled the eggs would get rolled on the counter and the shells would fall open easily.

image.jpg

Asian flavoured pork patties on greens.

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Early breakfast:

Soup.

Pork spare ribs (short cut) & thinly-sliced pork belly sautéed w/ garlic in vegetable oil; a slurry of aka miso added; sautéed and stirred around; water added, simmered for a while; skinned gobo (burdock root) sliced into squat sticks, and fresh shiitake mushrooms added; simmered a bit; skinned daikon, cut into sticks, added in.  Simmered.  Jozo mirin added in later.  Simmered till done.

DSCN1233a_800.jpg

Some of the stuff en route to the finished soup.

DSCN1219a_600.jpg  DSCN1224b_600.jpg

• Like 1

13928483711_d3118ef048_z.jpg

Fava greens and ramps, with anchovy and currants

Fava greens are the leaves of a fava bean plant. They have a faintly sweetish taste, somewhat of a cross between fava beans and spinach.

Ramps are also known as wild leeks.

This is a Sicilian treatment, with the ramps substituted for garlic and onion.

13928483271_c91040ba24_z.jpg

Creamy scrambled eggs, morel mushrooms, chermoula.

Egg dosa with masala, sambar and spiced yogurt sauce:

We've made masala dosa for dinner a few times now, and decided to use the some leftovers for today's breakfast.

The recipes for the components are from the Prashad Cookbook, which I highly recommend.

Did you make your own dosa batter?

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Blue cheese and walmut toasts.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Open face toast with salmon salad and cucumber.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Breakfast inspired by ingredients. A fast trip to Buffalo yesterday landed me in Trader Joe's where I stocked up on Ak Mak crackers and grabbed a small container of creme fraiche. Mushrooms, garlic, thyme and creme fraiche on crackers.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

14093092812_ac558510cf_z.jpg

Leeks sautéed in butter, seasoned to taste with salt and pepper.

13909605448_cdea1dff25_z.jpg

Ramps sautéed in butter and olive oil, seasoned to taste with salt and pepper.

13909599460_6999d43100_z.jpg

Bacon pr0n.

14073101806_4b5770c8e1_z.jpg

Toasted bread, with fromage blanc, ramps and bacon.

13909561329_c0749bf641_z.jpg

Baked eggs, with cream, leeks and cheese.

• Like 5