• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2014

Ann_T

image.jpg

Ak-mak crackers topped with smoked-salmon-flavoured cream cheese, cucumber and a generous grind or three of black pepper.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Leftover stir-fried shrimp & hot long green chilli pieces; water spinach (ong choy) blanched in oiled boiling water; halved hard-boiled farm egg; Instant Noodles Artificial Hot & Sour Shrimp Flavor [Dragonfly]; yellow tofu simmered along w/ the soup; chopped scallions & deep-fried sliced shallots.

DSCN0990a_800.jpg

• Like 3

image.jpg

I like to bake my bacon but when these slices were laid out on a rack they looked dreadfully naked so I took the pepper grinder to them. Might pursue this idea with other seasonings. Bacon, eggs and fried tomatoes -- a real umami bomb.

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

huiray,

How do you eat the crullers?

My 2004 eG Blog

One dunks them in the soup to "gather up" some of the soup then pop them into one's mouth before they become soggy so they still have some crunch. :-)  Or chomp on them as-is.  I do both, so do most people, I think.  Most folks would want them crisp/warm on the plate; cold and limp counts as a strike against the vendor/shop/food stall if eating out.

Edited by huiray (log)

One dunks them in the soup to "gather up" some of the soup then pop them into one's mouth before they become soggy so they still have some crunch. :-)  Or chomp on them as-is.  I do both, so do most people, I think.  Most folks would want them crisp/warm on the plate; cold and limp counts as a strike against the vendor/shop/food stall if eating out.

Ha! Thanks. Sounds like something I could enjoy. I am an expert dunker.

My 2004 eG Blog

Closer to brunch than breakfast but since we don't have a brunch topic...

image.jpg

Ak mak crackers topped with roasted garlic and herb pate. Danish cucumber salad on two; tomato sprinkled with sel gris on the other two.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

wonder if TJ's has a version of the AkMak?

did you make the pate ?  looks pretty good to me.

TJ's sells Ak mak. Nope the pate was purchased but was very tasty.

My 2004 eG Blog

Sunday brunch:

13037975853_657c5a1b75_z.jpg

Beets, citrus, walnuts

The beets were roasted Saturday evening, then macerated with fennel fronds, Meyer lemon juice, crushed fennel seed and sea salt overnight. This mixture was then combined with chopped clementine orange, walnuts and scallion, and dressed with a Meyer lemon vinaigrette (1 teaspoon clementine juice, 3 tablespoons Meyer lemon juice, 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, sea salt and black pepper to taste.)

13037829525_264198dea8_z.jpg

Scrambled eggs (2 eggs, sea salt, black pepper, 2 tablespoons milk) with champignon mushrooms (chopped champignon mushrooms (otherwise known as white button mushrooms, the kind you get in your supermarket), sautéed in olive oil, with chopped shallots, slivered scallion, sea salt and black pepper) and green mango pickle.

Looks like my kinda breakfast. I love beet salads and the eggs look great

• Like 1

image.jpg

image.jpg

My to-do list suggests that this could be a challenging day so a substantial breakfast seemed like a good idea. Acorn squash stuffed with seasoned ground pork, onions, garlic, squash flesh and topped with an egg.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Yes, that looks substantial enough. :-) 

Not much carb - but I seem to remember that you are on a low-carb diet, is that correct?

I try! But my stuffed squash has sustained me through an Indian chicken dish, a batch of naan and a berry torte! Now let's hope it keeps me adequately fuelled through the clean up.

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Home made breakfast sausage patties, baguette slices topped with butter and red pepper jelly. (Parsley because one ought to get fancy on Sunday!)

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

A couple of croissants this morning [from Rene's Bakery] plus three soft-boiled eggs w/ light soy sauce & white pepper.

The croissant on the left was described by the guy at the shop as "coming out a bit funny" but it cried out to me "Take meee hoooome..."

DSCN1064a_800.jpg

DSCN1066a_800.jpg

• Like 2

image.jpg

The "genius recipes" from Food52 are always worth a try. Roger Verge's eggs with red wine vinegar sounded intriguing. Perhaps it was the quality of my vinegar. Perhaps I didn't reduce it enough. Whatever, it failed to awe me. Might try again someday. One regular supermarket egg; one organic egg!

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Home-made sausage patties, eggs and tomatoes fried in bacon fat and seasoned with voatsiperifery pepper (a gift I received yesterday).

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Have not been able to find fresh green peppercorns lately, but I did find Madagascar Green Peppercorn cheese by Bothwell at Sobeys!

For breakfast today to put the fire under me for marking final exams:

slices of the cheese with English cucumber on black olive ciabatta...

GreenpeppercornCiabatta0561.jpg

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Anna, Moe would love all of your breakfasts. And I'm a pepper fan. Even carry a grinder in my purse.   I need to see if anyone around here carries Voatsiperifery pepper.

Moe's breakfast.

Scrambled%20Eggs%20with%20homemade%20sou

Scrambled eggs with toasted sourdough.  I love that chives are one of the first things to come up in the garden.

• Like 2