• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2014

Ann_T

Sunday brunch:

13037975853_657c5a1b75_z.jpg

Beets, citrus, walnuts

The beets were roasted Saturday evening, then macerated with fennel fronds, Meyer lemon juice, crushed fennel seed and sea salt overnight. This mixture was then combined with chopped clementine orange, walnuts and scallion, and dressed with a Meyer lemon vinaigrette (1 teaspoon clementine juice, 3 tablespoons Meyer lemon juice, 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, sea salt and black pepper to taste.)

13037829525_264198dea8_z.jpg

Scrambled eggs (2 eggs, sea salt, black pepper, 2 tablespoons milk) with champignon mushrooms (chopped champignon mushrooms (otherwise known as white button mushrooms, the kind you get in your supermarket), sautéed in olive oil, with chopped shallots, slivered scallion, sea salt and black pepper) and green mango pickle.

It doesn't look like my idea of breakfast, but it looks like what I'd like my idea of breakfast to look like.

• Like 1

My breakfasts during the week are totally boring by comparison.  It's usually a piece of pastry and a large English breakfast tea with cream and sugar, or a fried egg sandwich with sausage and cheese on a kaiser roll with salt, pepper and ketchup and a large OJ or GJ (grapefruit juice).  Such is life when you work in midtown Manhattan amidst a plethora of pushcarts.  Weekends are when I try to liven things up a notch.  :wink:

Early breakfast today.  (Breakfast Part 1)

• Ibumie Penang Har Mee (prawn flavor) - Mi Goreng (mi perisa udang) [this is the dry version]; with hard-boiled eggs & deep-fried tofu puffs (cooked in the water for the mee).  Dressed w/ additional fresh deep-fried shallots & chopped scallions.  The sauce for this (five sauce/condiment packages enclosed in each package of the mee) definitely smells of belacan, nice, at least before mixing everything together.  :-)

DSCN0879a_800.jpg

Another breakfast later.  (Breakfast Part 2)

• Miso soup w/ fresh spinach.  (Katsuobushi [Yamaki] in water, boil; filter; reserved broth simmered w/ soft tofu sliced into rectangular blocks, some dried wakame [Hirokon Foods] tossed in; then chopped scallions followed by a slurry of mutenka shiro miso [Maruman] and the whole brought to a simmer again.  Poured onto washed fresh spinach leaves (smaller ones only) in a bowl.

• Pickled cucumbers & trimmed scallions w/ toasted sesame seeds.

• White rice w/ generous wasabi fumi furikake [Ajishima] scattered on top and smooshed in with the chopsticks. (Had three bowls of this!)

DSCN0884a_800.jpg

• Like 1

rod rock, thanks!

Any chili sauce of your liking will be fine, really, except maybe the "really overpowering ones" (hot-for-the-sake-of-hotness types).  The combined sauces here already had chili sauce in it but if I were to have some extra sauce I'd go for a slightly sweet-sour-one - maybe some Lingham's mixed with some lime juice.  That is a common combination I use, in fact.

Thanks for the reply Huiray, sweet 'n' sour sauce is a good idea. Tomato sauce from Linguine looks good too, i prefer to be thick like that!

You're welcome and thanks.

P.s. I made the "soup version" of the Ibumie Har Mee with different additions (including some nice fresh prawns/shrimp) and a more involved gussying-up a little while ago.  See here.  I notice now that I said it was an Indomie package in that post - it wasn't, it was an Ibumie package.

Chicken broth with carrots (red, yellow, orange) and celery; eaten w/ pieces of the fatty skin, a bit of the chicken meat, & min sin (mee sua) for breakfast today.  

The broth and etc alone was eaten as a simple dinner the previous night.  Pic is of the bowl of broth + stuff from dinner.

DSCN0920a_800.jpg

Rotuts,  thanks for the suggestion.  I love the idea of making a hash with stuffing/dressing.

Steamed eggs for breakfast. 

Soft%20Cooked%20Eggs%20March%2020th%2C%2

Moe's.  He likes his soft.  (five minutes ) Homemade Sourdough Rye toast fingers.

Hard%20cooked%20eggs%20March%2020th%2C%2

Mine.  I like mine hard.  (eight minutes).

• Like 1

Steamed eggs for breakfast. 

Soft%20Cooked%20Eggs%20March%2020th%2C%2

Moe's.  He likes his soft.  (five minutes ) Homemade Sourdough Rye toast fingers.

Ann_T, I remember you mentioned before that you might try giving Moe soft-boiled eggs like in Anna N's post ... have you tried giving them to him "in a bowl" like as shown in this post?  Just curious. :-) 

(I also remember your saying, even earlier, that Moe would probably not be averse to "drinking them" if he didn't like dunking his toast fingers in them)

salmon and tuna.jpg

Got back to town late last night and, on the way home, passed a supermarket where I picked up this salmon and tuna sashimi. I intended eating it as a starter with dinner, but somehow forgot. It had been a long day.

Found it in the fridge this morning and used it for breakfast. I put together a soy sauce/wasabi dip and pickled ginger to accompany it. I might do sashimi breakfasts more often.

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Breakfast today:

• Steamed fresh big-mouth bass.§  Dressed w/ hot oil; scallions, julienned ginger, coriander leaves; & a warm soy sauce mixture.

• Lightly pickled Japanese cucumbers.

• White rice (Hom Mali).

• Chilled Rihaku Tokubetsu Junmai ‘Dreamy Clouds’ Nigori Sake.

§ Marinated w/ ryori-shu [Morita], mirin [Takara], sea salt, crushed scallions, sliced ginger, canola oil.  Steamed in the marinade.  Fish only removed (discarding all marinating/steaming liquids & flavoring solids) and plated.

Dressed with fresh sliced scallions, julienned ginger.  Hot canola oil poured all over the fish.  A mixture of light soy sauce [Higeta Honzen], water, mirin [Takara], rice wine [Gold Plum Premier Matured Nuerhong], a bit of black sesame oil, and some fresh ground white pepper was heated in the same pan used to heat the oil.  The sauce, once hot, was poured all over the fish and scallions & ginger.  Cilantro leaves and stems were then scattered over everything.

DSCN0932a_800.jpg

• Like 2

image.jpg

Baked portobella cap filled with scrambled egg.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

rod rock, thanks!

Any chili sauce of your liking will be fine, really, except maybe the "really overpowering ones" (hot-for-the-sake-of-hotness types).  The combined sauces here already had chili sauce in it but if I were to have some extra sauce I'd go for a slightly sweet-sour-one - maybe some Lingham's mixed with some lime juice.  That is a common combination I use, in fact.

Hmmm that sounds very interesting, thanks for suggestion, i appreciate it!

"The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live."

Franchise Takeaway