• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2014

Ann_T

Quasi-prawn mee. Shrimp shells simmered in water w/ a little Himalayan salt & peanut oil. Shells removed. Indomie Penang Har Mie instant noodles cooked in this, plus tau foo pok (deep-fried tofu puffs), shelled wild American shrimp (tails on), Romaine lettuce heart leaves. Freshly deep-fried sliced shallots & chopped scallions scattered onto the bowled stuff.

DSCN0698a_1k.jpg

Deep-fried shallots:

DSCN0693a_1k.jpg

Shrimp shells simmering:

DSCN0695a_1k.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 4

These are lovely pictures, but this morning I had a large artisanal marshmallow, toasted in the oven, and served in bed. With espresso.

I need to stand up for my peeps. Those of us who don't "cook" for breakfast. Much.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

robirdstx – I have become addicted to English muffins lately – sometimes with eggs and sometimes just with about a half a stick of butter :blush: !

Ann – beautiful sausage gravy!  It looks absolutely fantastic, as do your biscuits.  And I agree with Ashen – that breakfast is perfect.  The toast is a thing of beauty.

gfweb – those potstickers are lovely.  I love how thin the skins are.

Mr. Kim’s breakfast yesterday morning:

med_gallery_3331_117_33285.jpg

Salami & Cheddar omelet.  I had a slice of a local bakery’s fantastic pecan ring that I only buy when we have company because I will eat one in a day :unsure: .

• Like 2

image.jpg

Small breakfast this morning before dental app't. Home made bacon and roasted eggs. (Eggs roasted in 200F oven for 5 hours.)

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Quiche for one: one egg, 1/4 cup half and half, grated cheese, chopped leftover roasted asparagus, baked in a ramekin. I don't use crusts on my quiche.

DSC_0014-1_zps049d491f.jpg

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Early breakfast today:

"Hot & Spicy Flavor Instant Vermicelli" { 四川風味  麻辣燙味方便粉絲 ('Szechuan-style "mala"-burning taste/spicy flavor instant vermicelli') } [Guangyou (光友)] (these are sweet potato starch noodles (with cassava & corn starches as well).  Dressed w/ poached eggs (done separately) & leftover blanched kai-lan.

DSCN0735a_800.jpg

• Like 2

image.jpg

Sometimes simple is all I need. Really good prosciutto (a gift) on toasted cheese bread.

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Small breakfast this morning before dental app't. Home made bacon and roasted eggs. (Eggs roasted in 200F oven for 5 hours.)

Anna, tell me about the eggs.  I've never heard of this before.  What is the taste difference between the oven and just making hard boiled eggs on the stove top?  I see they look a little browned.

Anna, tell me about the eggs.  I've never heard of this before.  What is the taste difference between the oven and just making hard boiled eggs on the stove top?  I see they look a little browned.

This

http://fxcuisine.com/?Display=64

was my inspiration. They are quite palatable and further extend the amazing adaptability of eggs.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Sunday brunch:

13037975853_657c5a1b75_z.jpg

Beets, citrus, walnuts

The beets were roasted Saturday evening, then macerated with fennel fronds, Meyer lemon juice, crushed fennel seed and sea salt overnight. This mixture was then combined with chopped clementine orange, walnuts and scallion, and dressed with a Meyer lemon vinaigrette (1 teaspoon clementine juice, 3 tablespoons Meyer lemon juice, 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, sea salt and black pepper to taste.)

13037829525_264198dea8_z.jpg

Scrambled eggs (2 eggs, sea salt, black pepper, 2 tablespoons milk) with champignon mushrooms (chopped champignon mushrooms (otherwise known as white button mushrooms, the kind you get in your supermarket), sautéed in olive oil, with chopped shallots, slivered scallion, sea salt and black pepper) and green mango pickle.

• Like 3

Early breakfast:

Finely sliced shallots sautéed w/ olive oil, a half-dozen cloves of garlic (very lightly crushed, de-skinned) tossed in, then finely chopped green cabbage (lots) plus a couple spoonfuls of rendered chicken fat/schmaltz.  After stirring around on high heat a good splash of chicken broth added, the mixture stirred/tossed and left to cook a minute or so.  Blended w/ leftover ground chuck–tomatoes–onion–celery sauce (from here), a stick of cinnamon (broken into two) pushed into the mix and everything covered and simmered for a short while.  Left for a few hours then reheated & served with and over fresh radiatore [Nicole-Taylor's], garnished w/ chopped parsley.

DSCN0859a_800.jpg

• Like 3

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Sometimes simple is all I need. Really good prosciutto (a gift) on toasted cheese bread.

Charcuterie + Cheese + bread = Best possible breakfast

Although a nice breakfast sausage + eggs + fried potatoes = Best possible breakfast too

And a egg/sausage/cheese/ketchup/pepper sandwich on a hoagie roll also = best possible breakfast.

Likewise corned beef hash, crisped and tossed with a well-peppered ketchup = best possible breakfast

This is a problem for logicians, but not for me. There are four best possible breakfasts

• Like 2