• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2014

Ann_T

Liuzhou – lemony pancakes sound delicious! How thick were the pancakes?

Anna – beautiful potstickers! What were they filled with?

Huiray – your ramen and roasted duck soup looks so wonderful!

Snowed-in breakfast w/ Jessica and us this morning – CI’s cathead biscuits:

med_gallery_3331_117_131560.jpg

With sausage gravy and scrambled eggs:

med_gallery_3331_117_68055.jpg

• Like 3

Some leftover venison from carpaccio. Cooked in a skillet with butter and then served in a cheddar grilled cheese.

12546846653_90212cda46_z.jpg

12546695435_eb5b4416e1_z.jpg

12547222594_9974a8f5cd_z.jpg

I had it with a beer at 8 o clock this morning... Finished working around 1 am last night, hung out until close to 4, made it into the office by 930.. I have had better days..

12546855063_46a18cc26a_z.jpg

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 4

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Some leftover venison from carpaccio. Cooked in a skillet with butter and then served in a cheddar grilled cheese.

I had it with a beer at 8 o clock this morning... Finished working around 1 am last night, hung out until close to 4, made it into the office by 930.. I have had better days..

Sounds like a great breakfast to me! Had me humming that great Kris Kristofferson song with the lyrics

And the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad

So I had one more for dessert!

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Sunday Morning coming down.. Love that song... Now I want fried chicken. and when considering the 2nd beer, i thought things might get problematic.

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 2

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Coffee. Then tattie scones, eggs & collapsed tomatoes:

2014-02-16%2013.19.28.jpg

Then more coffee. No music.

Nice work with the re-purposed meat, basquecook. We don't see much (if any) beef carpaccio in Tokyo any more, since a couple of years ago when a yakiniku joint poisoned some customers with their yukke. I hope the day slows down for you later on.

• Like 4

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

My husband loved French toast and would happily scarf it down for breakfast, lunch or dinner but I could never get my head around it. Far too sweet for me. So when I stumbled onto a recipe for a savoury version I jumped on it. What a disappointment! Eggs, cream, parmesan are the basics but it is flat, flat, flat despite the mustard powder, tabasco and lots of pepper. Oh well. I am happy to stick with bread fried in bacon fat when I feel a real need to clog my arteries.

image.jpg

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

That looks good ! I found that i like French Toast best when I've an open-grained bread, and I soak it long enough in the egg that it's wet through. I can then cook it hot enough to brown but stay moist in the crumb.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

My husband loved French toast and would happily scarf it down for breakfast, lunch or dinner but I could never get my head around it. Far too sweet for me. So when I stumbled onto a recipe for a savoury version I jumped on it. What a disappointment! Eggs, cream, parmesan are the basics but it is flat, flat, flat despite the mustard powder, tabasco and lots of pepper. Oh well. I am happy to stick with bread fried in bacon fat when I feel a real need to clog my arteries.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Maybe add chicken liver pate?

My husband loved French toast and would happily scarf it down for breakfast, lunch or dinner but I could never get my head around it. Far too sweet for me. So when I stumbled onto a recipe for a savoury version I jumped on it. What a disappointment! Eggs, cream, parmesan are the basics but it is flat, flat, flat despite the mustard powder, tabasco and lots of pepper. Oh well. I am happy to stick with bread fried in bacon fat when I feel a real need to clog my arteries.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Maybe add chicken liver pate?

Nah. I think the point of French toast is to use up stale bread (pain perdu) and when you start adding stuff that isn't a pantry staple then you've missed the point. Some could argue that parmesan cheese isn't a pantry staple but it is in my house. Many thanks for the suggestion though.

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Looked in the fridge this morning and saw a few sad stalks of asparagus hiding in plain sight behind the miso. So miso + butter on toast topped by sauteed asparagus and a slowly fried egg a la John Besh.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Eggs baked in tomato sauce with thyme and parmesan. An exchange of instant messages with my granddaughter about chocolate led to very overcooked eggs!

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog