• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 1)

liuzhou

A recent seafood dinner. I started out with some Blue point oysters on the half shell with some yuzu-pear mignonette (yuzu juice, champagne, diced pears, minced shallots, chives, olive oil, pickled mustard seed).

tumblr_mzvwg11UiJ1rvhqcjo2_1280.jpg

For the main course, I adapted this recipe from Food Arts. Nothing too fancy here, but a tasty combination that worked well: pan-seared bay scallops with charred zuchini, pears, brown butter sauce, braised Maitake mushrooms, and watercress.

tumblr_mzvwk3i50W1rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

Edited by Baselerd (log)
  • Like 12

Would you believe that in almost six years of sous vide cooking, I've never done a rack of lamb?

Tonight was the night. I double bagged the lamb with tough plastic from the original packaging over the bone to stop it from ripping the bag.

Lamb was cooked at 52C (125.6F) for 52 minutes.

I then dried the lamb and then rubbed grapeseed oil onto it and salted the meat.

The lamb was seared over a cast iron frypan that had been on the top heat of my wok burner for five minutes. You can see the sear and the cooking that this led to as a band on the right hand side and bottom (top part) of the meat in the picture.

It was quite possibly the best lamb I've ever had. Will be doing this again. It was served with some charred vegetable ratatouille.

lamb.jpg

Edited by nickrey (log)
  • Like 10

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

A Patient brought me in a couple nice Rainbow Trout Filets, caught this spring!! ...

That looks great ! (as does everything on the page so far). Cashew nut as in, all cashew nut ?

Edited by Blether (log)
  • Like 1

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

A Patient brought me in a couple nice Rainbow Trout Filets, caught this spring!! ...

That looks great !  (as does everything on the page so far).  Cashew nut as in, all cashew nut ?

No--- Thanks btw

This was a bit of panko, that I processed just a bit more, it helps the cashews from turning into a butter, fresh parsley, and some homemade Italian dried seasoning. I put the coated fish into a frig for a few hrs to set, covered, then just at bake time 450f...I spritz..a butter spray my wife has onto the nut crust.

I brushed the filets with a light layer of whipped egg white..then placed the coating on.

Cheers

"x". = "Bacino in Italian. Means the little kiss"

• Like 2

Its good to have Morels

Made soy sauce chicken in the crock pot last night. Made up the aromatics, soy sauce and let it cook for 2 hours on high. Seemed to have been the right temp. as it just sent out lovely aromas without a bubble breaking the surface. It produced that silky chicken texture that my Mom always loved.

Whole Soy Sauce Chicken0299.jpg

Soy sauce chicken0301.jpg

• Like 7

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Made soy sauce chicken in the crock pot last night. Made up the aromatics, soy sauce and let it cook for 2 hours on high. Seemed to have been the right temp. as it just sent out lovely aromas without a bubble breaking the surface. It produced that silky chicken texture that my Mom always loved.

attachicon.gifWhole Soy Sauce Chicken0299.jpg

attachicon.gifSoy sauce chicken0301.jpg

My husband does a version of this with chicken thighs and garlic cloves. It's even better the next day!

• Like 1

Regarding broccoli stems...

My local grocery store sells bags of a produce product consisting of shredded broccoli stems. The bag is labelled "Broccoli Slaw". I have made an actual slaw with it in the past but found it doesn't hold up well (IMHO) after the initial dinner. Plus, sometimes eating it just seems like I'm eating wood chips because they're so fibrous and I tire of it quickly. I think they might work better if they're cooked/steamed. They'd work well in soups, casseroles and stir frys (after a quick steam).

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Regarding broccoli stems...

My local grocery store sells bags of a produce product consisting of shredded broccoli stems. The bag is labelled "Broccoli Slaw". I have made an actual slaw with it in the past but found it doesn't hold up well (IMHO) after the initial dinner. Plus, sometimes eating it just seems like I'm eating wood chips because they're so fibrous and I tire of it quickly. I think they might work better if they're cooked/steamed. They'd work well in soups, casseroles and stir frys (after a quick steam).

I agree, I've never had an actual stem as fibrous as what I've had in the slaw mix at times...and I did try using it for stir fry, which was reasonably successful. Except the wood chips, which were never going to soften up.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Meredith: I had a small piece of the breast leftover (had unexpected company) and put it in my watercress salad to lunch. It's lovely, moist and flavourful. You are right...it just might be even better the next day. :smile:

As for broccoslaw, I love it. One supermarket here sells the MANN brand and it's never woody. I just use Kraft Mango Chipotle dressing , throw in some cranberries, pumpkin seeds, and coconut flakes, and even my husband will eat it - and he hates broccoli. :wink:

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Chicken with sautéed spinach: Marinate chicken thigh chunks with pureed cilantro, ginger, garlic, lemon juice, coriander, cumin, and garam masala. Sautee chopped spinach and remove. Sautee chicken and toss with the spinach. Garnish with sautéed tomato wedges and garam masala.

Turmeric and peppercorn rice: Soaked basmati rice steamed with black cardamom and finished with chopped mint

p973225684-4.jpg

• Like 8

Supper tonight: Steelhead trout sandwiched between layers of cilantro, scallion, ginger, jalapeno peppers, lime slices, lemongrass, and Kaffir lime leaves, wrapped in foil and baked in the oven for 45 minutes. Sides: mixed vegetables "sauteed" in chicken stock and pan seared firm tofu.

Platted Steel Head Trout 0309.jpg

Bite Steel Head Trout0310.jpg

• Like 7

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Would you believe that in almost six years of sous vide cooking, I've never done a rack of lamb?

Tonight was the night. I double bagged the lamb with tough plastic from the original packaging over the bone to stop it from ripping the bag.

Lamb was cooked at 52C (125.6F) for 52 minutes.

I then dried the lamb and then rubbed grapeseed oil onto it and salted the meat.

The lamb was seared over a cast iron frypan that had been on the top heat of my wok burner for five minutes. You can see the sear and the cooking that this led to as a band on the right hand side and bottom (top part) of the meat in the picture.

It was quite possibly the best lamb I've ever had. Will be doing this again. It was served with some charred vegetable ratatouille.

attachicon.giflamb.jpg

Nickrey, Usually Sous Vide meats do not appeal to me. Something about the texture "looks" off to me. But your rack of lamb looks just perfect. Mouthwatering.

Dejah, your chicken looks so good. And that Steelhead trout, wow, great seasoning.

Bruce, another one of your meals I would love to eat.

Chicken%20Fried%20Rice%20January%2022nd%

Chicken Fried Rice

Roast%20Pork%20Sirloin%20Dinner%20Januar

Roast Pork Sirloin

Roast%20Pork%20Sirloin%20Dinner%20Januar

With roasted Brussels Sprouts finished with a dusting of grated Parmesan.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 8

Dejah -- intrigued by the soy sauce chicken. Do you cook the bird whole in the crock pot? Was that the two hours on high you mentioned? If so, do you stand it on its head (or where its head would be), or do you have one of those oval cookers which allows it to be laid flat? And how do you finish the skin -- I am presuming in the oven to dry and crisp? I'd like to try this.

Lovely meals, all!

One night recently, as it had been positively frigid all day, I decided it was time to warm up with some carbonnades a la flamande. About a 3-pound chuck roast, cubed, salted peppered, browned.

DSCN0232_zps7bb267ca.jpg

DSCN0233_zpsa3d7f69e.jpg

Braised in the oven with four thin-sliced yellow onions, some rosemary, and a bottle of Green Flash Double Stout. Served over creamy grits.

DSCN0235_zps01c4089b.jpg

• Like 9

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I've been on an oyster binge recently - this topping was inspired by some oysters I had a local restaurant recently. Some more Conneticut Blue Point oysters, topped with a Thai Nam chim sauce, crispy shallots, and chives. This was pretty good - the sauce was made by reducing soy sauce, fish sauce, sesame oil, sugar, and water with ginger, garlic, coriander, and Thai chilies until it was almost syrupy.

tumblr_mzzp0ran4b1rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

Edited by Baselerd (log)
  • Like 8

Thanks, Ann_T and kayb re-comments on the chicken and trout. They were both enjoyed:-) Had some left over from both to add to a lunch salad.

Love the looks of your fried rice, Ann_T, and that carbonnades will be perfect on the lousy winter days we've been having...

robirdstx: Beautiful crust on those mini crab cakes!

kayb: Yes. I do have an oval crock pot and big enough for the chicken to lie lengthways I cooked it mostly breasts down, turned it around once onto its back, then back onto the breasts. The skin wasn't crisp...just looked that way once it "dried" off a bit. We didn't eat the skin as it wasn't crispy like when I cook them in the Big Easy!

Was in a bit of a hurry tonight after spending too long shopping. Cubed up a chicken breast and a couple of thighs and made Thai Basil Chicken. Had some mini bell peppers and grape tomatoes and these went under the broiler. I also made cauliflower fried rice.

Thai Basil Chicken0315.jpg

This would have been much better if we had REAL rice... :sad:

• Like 6

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com