• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 1)

liuzhou

Chicken pot pie

DSCN1159_zps1d151295.jpg

and a little salad.

DSCN1161_zps00381c5b.jpg

Norm, the chicken pot pie is a valiant effort (love the chicken figure on the crust!) given the missing sauce ingredients and the lack of a rolling pin. It looks hearty and the crust does look crispy and flaky. Well done!

In the photo of the finished baked dish, the sauce reminds me of the sauce one would get with some Chinese chicken stir fries. Next time you could always go with a cornstarch-thickened sauce instead of flour. Of course, then I would go off the deep end and add ginger, water chestnuts, bok choy, and so on.

Thanks for the inspiration and for taking the time to post your pictures.

• Like 3

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Thanks for the advice Toliver. The sauce was a little dry. I should have added more chicken stock I think. BTW, since my son's fiancee does not like celery, so I did substituted some water chestnuts and romaine lettuce ribs. Bok choy is a good idea that I have not tried yet. I'll keep it in mind next time I want to try a substitute something for celery.

DSC_0011_zpsd3d61952.jpg

Lamb ribs. Rubbed w/ a paste of olive oil, garlic powder, salt, mustard powder, black pepper, smoked paprika and mixed dried herbs. Hit with a bit of lemon juice on the grill. They were cooked for just a few minutes: enough to render the fat, enough to take the meat to medium rare. They were a little salty, meaty and the right kind of greasy.

I served them with a potato salad and some grilled corn.

Edited by ChrisTaylor (log)
  • Like 6

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Robirdstx, I love the idea of your Parmesan Crusted Chicken breast in garlic sauce.

Chris, I need to try that short rib recipe. I've only ever braised them.

Norm, your chicken pie looks delicious. The perfect comfort food.

Bruce, I wondered where you were. Always enjoy pictures of your meals.

Ashen, my mouth is watering for your beef and polenta and it isn't yet 5:30 here on the west coast.

I boned and stuffed a whole chicken for dinner last night.

Boned%20Chicken%20Ready%20for%20the%20ov

Boned%20Roasted%20Chicken%20January%2016

Boned%20Roasted%20Chicken%20Carved%20Jan

Boned%20Roasted%20Chicken%20Dinner%20Jan

Traditional style bread/cornbread stuffing.

• Like 13

Some recent meals.

Pork tenderloin w garlic/ white wine mushrooms...popover...braised red cabbage

IMG_20140105_182414_517.jpg

Red wine braised short rib with roasted butternut squash

IMG_20140111_180521_213.jpg

Sausage and peppers

IMG_20140112_182001_254.jpg

Lasagne

IMG_20140112_202936_366.jpg

Spaghetti bolognese

IMG_20140116_175751_739.jpg

Smoked turkey salad with grapes, pickled onions and candied pecans

IMG_20140115_173007_141.jpg

• Like 9

Simple dinner last night: Fried rice; w/ peanut oil, sliced baechu kimchi, a type of (sliced) "fried bean curd" (see pics), petite peas (frozen, rinsed), eggs scrambled in situ, sliced/chunked bamboo shoots (big shoots type), salt, dashes of Maggi sauce [German-type].

Note: The color of the rice does NOT come from soy sauce - none was added. It comes from the kimchi and the marinade (what was added).

DSCN0356a_1k.jpg

Pics of the "fried bean curd":

DSCN0351a_1k.jpg

DSCN0353a_1k.jpg

• Like 4

I did some chuck roll in white wine. In the excitement I forgot to add the button onions at the end - I'll do that tomorrow.

2014-01-19%2012.57.55.jpg

I added some puree of sun-dried tomatoes to the onions:

2014-01-19%2013.27.22.jpg

2014-01-19%2013.44.27.jpg

I'm pleased with how well-seasoned my saute pan is now. It never sees soap - just a wipe out with my fingers under a hot tap.

2014-01-19%2013.45.12.jpg

Dijon mustard and a sneaky Oxo cube:

2014-01-19%2014.06.05.jpg

Three hours in a fairly slow oven, and

2014-01-19%2017.35.57.jpg

in the words of Bryan Adams, "It cuts like a spoon"

2014-01-19%2017.40.12.jpg

• Like 8

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Fried Sweet and Sour Baby Back Ribs. The sauce was based in Worcestershire and ketchup. I know, not really authentic Chinese cuisine but very tasty. The hardest task was cutting the rack of ribs in half to make little riblets.

013.JPG

• Like 11

Blether, very nice!

David, I also like very much your ribs! I wish my children liked the stuff, it would be on the table more often.

Tonight we had chicken soup, cavolo nero, breaded chicken cutlets, steamed buns
attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Oooh Franci you gave a recipe for that chicken soup?

Meredith, the soup is the most simple. I had a chicken in the fridge, I deboned it, use the bones, trimmings for the stock, they went in my pressure cooker with some ginger and green onions, a tiny pinch of salt. I cooked for 45 minutes. No skimming. I broke some angel hair pasta (that I keep only for soup) and cooked in some of the stock for 2 minutes, added more salt to taste. So, really no fancy cooking but tasty enough for us. And I had the chicken breast for breading. Today I have the chicken meat to cook with miso.

Have had the great fortune of a surplus of truffles, so incorporated them into a few late night snacks..

Foie gras terrine and truffles on toasted baguette

JJEzoknl.jpg

Oh, this is ideal snack, breakfast, lunch or dinner...anytime. Since we moved from Monaco I only had foie gras once, and before I always had a jar in the refrigerator. I think I must start making salted cure foie gras. I missed your posts MM.

• Like 2