• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 1)

liuzhou

Franci are those soup buns? Or just meat buns? Very skillful pleading.

Thanks dcarch, they are just meat buns, soup buns I would cook like pot stickers and serve with bottom up.

I, instead, always admire how creative you can get with vegetables. I really like vegetables and I really enjoy to see how you use stalks.

Tonight we had simply homemade tagliatelle

image.jpg

• Like 3

Chicken with ginger: Marinate chicken with dark and light soy sauce and salt. Gently stir-fry sliced ginger, add the chicken, chile flakes, and Shaoxing wine, and stir-fry until golden. Add chicken stock and long beans, reduce heat, and simmer until sauce is reduced. Finish with sliced scallions and sesame oil. I forgot about the scallions until after I took the picture. Oops.

Salad with Mrs. C’s homemade dressing. Mrs. C also made smoked pork stock tonight, so I’m looking forward to dinner tomorrow.

p910513057-4.jpg

• Like 4

So, after 30 days of not drinking, I broke the streak with a 2009 Gaja. That's a good way to do it. I took a leg of lamb out of the freezer on Sunday and then my week got crazy.. I ended up inviting some people for dinner last night..

We started with mussel pasta.. This was really nice.. Sweated some shallots in butter and olive oil.. Then I added some garlic and jalapeno peppers.. Then, I took the mussels out once they opened and deshelled them.. Added some milk that had anchovies soaking in it to the pasta sauce, the the spaghetti, then the mussels, red pepper, parsley and finally some toasted white bread crumbs.

Not the prettiest photo.

12473457614_35afe8575e_z.jpg

People went nuts over this. My one guest told me I should package it. I don't think canned spaghetti would be successful.. I served a little pasta water in a glass with a spoon. I was making the pasta and right at the end, one of my guests stepped in and poured everything into a bow, thinking they were helping.. I hadn't finished with pasta water and olive oil.. So, instead of scolding them, I just casually served the pasta water on the side and had people help themselves.. It worked out perfectly.

12473471834_69a9d20be7_z.jpg

Caesar Salad:

12473449874_36fb9eefaf_z.jpg

Golden egg potatoes

12472981845_1d6ea61f07_z.jpg

Broccoli rabe.. cooked in garlic and oil.. i then added sherry vinegar and tarragon. (trying to use up the last of the tarragon)interesting combo

12477467343_f1408179fc_z.jpg

Leg of lamb that our cousins raised, topped with a balsamic glaze.

12477311295_104daff9ea_z.jpg

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 10

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

So, after 30 days of not drinking, I broke the streak with a 2009 Gaja. That's a good way to do it. I took a leg of lamb out of the freezer on Sunday and then my week got crazy.. I ended up inviting some people for dinner last night..

We started with mussel pasta.. This was really nice.. Sweated some shallots in butter and olive oil.. Then I added some garlic and jalapeno peppers.. Then, I took the mussels out once they opened and deshelled them.. Added some milk that had anchovies soaking in it to the pasta sauce, the the spaghetti, then the mussels, red pepper, parsley and finally some toasted white bread crumbs.

It looks very good. Since my town of origin is famous for mussels, I'm very big on this dish. I suggested other times on egullet, if you have 10 more minutes to spare, try, I'm sure you'll be amazed on the difference: open the mussel by hand, not steam to open. It takes a little bit of practice but I'm sure you are good at this stuff. Collect the mussels with their filtered water. Add this to your garlic/pepper and so on. It tastes so, so much better.

• Like 3

Hi everyone! I took Kim's advice and have been reading/drooling over all of the old dinner threads. Man, we cook some good stuff around here!

Bierocks

Image 1.jpg

Tuna melt

Image 2.jpg

Venison stir fry and egg roll

Image 3.jpg

Eggdrop soup

Image 4.jpg

Fried rice

Image 5.jpg

I made a ton of egg rolls ---froze some

Image 6.jpg

• Like 14

Couple of recent dinners.

------------------

Pork & shrimp wontons w/ skinny wonton noodles & "choy sum" in chicken stock.

DSCN0507a_1k.jpg

DSCN0510a_1k.jpg

DSCN0511a_1k.jpg

DSCN0513b_1k.jpg

------------------

Linguine w/ a "meat sauce" of ground chuck, sautéed onions, garlic, white mushrooms, Cherub tomatoes, quartered canned plum tomatoes, rice wine, rice vinegar, sea salt.

DSCN0531a_1k.jpg

See here for a fuller discussion.

• Like 10

Thanks, Franci. Excited to give it a shot.

This is such a wonderful thread. Love the passion and creativity. Thank you, to all who contribute

Double That..

I just did live Mussels this weekend, but I added them to a left over curry sauce

Its good to have Morels

Yesterday I made some stock using some beef shank, so today I made some mondeghili, some Milanese croquettes, mixing the leftover meat minced, some sausage meat, some mashed potatoes (instead of bread soaked in milk), parmigiano, garlic, parsley, salt, I didn't have liver mortadella, also I didn't coat in breadcrumbs and deep fried in oil instead of shallow frying in butter. Served with roasted potatoes in duck fat and Swiss chards

image.jpg

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 7

That's some nice crispy skin on those birds.

I finally got around to making the Momofuku recipe for short ribs - a bit late to the party I suppose. Either way, it was definitely one of the better short rib recipes I've made (48 hours @ 140 F), probably due to the amazing braising liquid the recipe involves. Also on the plate was some dashi-braised daikon, pickled carrots, pickled mustard seeds, and a reduction of the braising liquids.

tumblr_n0z0jlCPCO1rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

• Like 7

Sous Vide Nieman Ranch Pork Belly-- I did the Serious Eats version ( Cooked 170 F for 10 Hrs ) , I made some Yellow eyed beans, cooked in dark chxn stock, smoked braised brisket pc's, garlic , onion and Palo Alto Fireman's Pepper sauce ( for Spice ) and Cucumber/Blk Radish/carrot pickle made with rice wine/sugar/lite soy

12522911093_a909743b21_k.jpg

• Like 8

Its good to have Morels