• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 1)

liuzhou

It's been quite chilly here on the prairies due to windchill temps - hovering around -40, and to -50 last Sat. Many of our meals have been colourful and spicy with my attempts to convince my brain that spring IS coming. Well, I think it worked as it's in the single digits this week!

Citrus marinated roast chicken

Citrus Marinated Roast Chicken0417.jpg

Chicken and dates tagine with carrot fries. The dip is Spicy Mayo by Spice Goddess on Food Network? I've discovered fresh curry leaves and enjoying it. The dip is toasted brown mustard seeds (dry) curry leaves, unsweetened shredded coconut, chili powder or flakes, ground coriander, and mayo. I love this dip for anything!

Moroccoan Chicken and Dates0422.jpg

And my Not-your-usual-butter chicken. I got lazy while preparing the chicken and the side of mixed vegetables, so I threw it all into one pot. Turned out very well and only one pot to wash :smile:

Not-your-usual-butter-chicken0426.jpg

• Like 8

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Franci, tell me about forbidden rice.  I always like doing things that are forbidden ;)

Hi Shelby, I used Lotus Food forbidden rice but you can find also the italian variety known as Riso Venere. I really like it, it is very nutty and retains a bite. My problem with this rice in particular is that I need to get the texture just right, a few times that I got it wrong, it bleed the color and got too sticky for my liking. This time came out perfect (for me). I cooked in the pressure cooker: 1 cup rice, 1 cup and 1/4 water, fo 20 minutes from when it went into pressure. Let pressure naturally release. Fluff and serve.

I also like a lot to mix it with other things (white quinoa) or other grains.

• Like 1

Swiss chard, bacon, and hard-boiled egg salad – For the dressing we deglazed the pan with a mix of balsamic and cider vinegar. Fried garlic, chopped parsley, cayenne, olive oil, and S&P in the mix, too. Chard stems and leaves were boiled separately.

Chicken-fried chicken, courtesy of Mrs. C. Store-bought olive oil bread with butter. Good bread, but I need Ann_T to airmail some of her gorgeous homemade bread.

p1001761631-4.jpg

• Like 6

Roast chicken with vegetables.  carrots, fennel, herbs, garlic. 

12980138473_fdf8faf4d6_z.jpg

crazytown

12980178793_124bfe7951_z.jpg

Caesar Salad.. Miss A made especially for Miss K. caesar salad with no anchovy or garlic.  so a creamy parm essentially. super buttery croutons on egg bread. so good. 

12980411144_0d42b0e456_z.jpg

• Like 7

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

.  Great meals on this page. Love the different takes on Caesar salads.     We are having roast beef for dinner, but now I am craving chicken.  Either Bruce's Country fried, Basquecook's roast chicken or Robirdstx's breaded chicken with garlic sauce.  

Last night's dinner.

Vittorio%27s%20Salad%20March%206th%2C%20

Vittorio's Salad with

Greek%20Ribs%20and%20Vittorio%27s%20Sala

With Greek Ribs.

Pizza%20March%205th%2C%202014%202-L.jpg

This pizza was actually lunch. I was baking bread and decided to make a pizza with some of the dough.

Gougere%20ready%20for%20the%20oven%20Mar

Made a Gougere Wednesday night.

Gougere%20March%205th%2C%202014-L.jpg

It ended up being dinner.

• Like 12

Mui Choy Kow Yuk (Hakka-style pork belly with preserved mustard greens) - one version.  See here for details.

• Daikon & Chinese mushroom soup.

• White rice.

DSCN0804d_800.jpg

DSCN0808c_800.jpg

Small dried Chinese mushrooms were de-stemmed and soaked in water.  A piece of Hayani Konbu was soaked in water (separately).  Smashed garlic and some finely chopped shallots were sautéed in vegetable oil and quenched w/ most of the mushroom and konbu soaking water, the soaked mushrooms and the konbu (cut into smaller pieces) added in and the mixture simmered for a short while.  The konbu pieces were removed, generous ryori-shu and some jozo mirin added, sufficient "Naturally Brewed Soy Sauce with Hokkaido Kelp Flavor" [Wei Chuan] also added and simmering continued for a bit.  Daikon slices (peeled) were added and simmered to completion.  Served garnished w/ chopped scallions.

• Like 6

Mette, I envy you living in Copenhagen! Had lunch at Tolbod Bodega there last week, and the "veterinarian's midnight snack" was just so over the top delicious.

I'm catching up here, but a few weeks ago I made eGullet favorite Citrus-Marinated Chicken (thanks Dejah and Smithy). I took Dejah's suggestion of adding kaffir lime leaves.

L1050655.jpg

• Like 3

Ann_T, your photos always make me hungry.  The Gougere is just a beautiful thing. 

Thanks Scubadoo.

Patrick, it is early here on the west coast, but my mouth is watering for your citrus marinated chicken.  

Friday night's dinner.

Top%20Sirloin%20March%207th%2C%202014%20

A quick and easy dinner.   Small sterling silver top sirloin roast, presalted the day before and roasted at 500°F.  Dinner was ready in less than an hour after I got home from work.

Last night's dinner.  Another easy meal.

Grilled%20Pork%20Chops%20March%208th%2C%

Grilled Pork Chops.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 7

Pork hock slices stewed w/ bamboo shoots & fresh Chinese mushrooms.

A whole head of garlic (cloves separated, smashed, de-skinned) was sautéed in canola oil then reserved; bone-in pork hock slices were browned; a slurry of aka miso and shiro miso was added, the garlic put back in, the mix stirred/sautéed; sufficient water added, brought to a simmer, covered and cooked for ~1 hr.  Trimmed washed bamboo shoots (large head type) & sliced Chinese mushrooms were added plus a generous handful of whole white pepper; simmered for a while; pre-softened fu jook (bean curd skin, formed into rolls; broken up into sections, soaked in water for quite a while) added and the mixture simmered to completion.  3-4 hrs or so in total.  Eaten w/ (hand-made) min sin (mee sua) (Fuzhou-type wheat noodles; Taiwanese brand; this one).

DSCN0827a_800.jpg

ETA: link to photo of the wheat noodles.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 4

It's been a while, yes?

Some pix from the past month...

12492983444_e269348c66_z.jpg

Garlic soup

12495291673_72712a0c5f_z.jpg

Olive oil poached cod, cabbage, chickpeas, Spanish chorizo

12539603085_e4d8b20ba3_z.jpg

Fennel, burrata, Meyer lemon

12592455425_d54c966296_z.jpg

Chickpeas, with Greek yogurt and charmoula

12607015993_7783d57af0_z.jpg

Turkish figs, spiced port, cream

12904965925_173b0e298d_z.jpg

Dal and rice, with carrot and green mango pickle, raita and mint chutney

13028157924_c88a12e5fa_z.jpg

Roasted beets, with cow's milk ricotta cheese, shaved fennel and scallion

13027934293_6c53755676_z.jpg

Cabbage and fennel soup, with leeks, Maine crab and fennel greens

• Like 8

I've never thought of doing a steak and mushroom pizza, but I must say that looks very appealing.   And so does that chicken. Great colour.

Thanks Ann.  To be honest, I never would have thought of it either, but my wife had some at a local pizza parlor and wanted me to make it for her.  I must say it came out very tasty.  I pre-cooked the toppings - the steak to make sure it woulb be cooked and the onions and mushrooms to release moisture to keep the pizza from getting soggy.

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

image.jpg

Roasted carrots and parsnips with some meatballs.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Mui Choy Kow Yuk (Hakka-style pork belly with preserved mustard greens) - one version. See here for details.

• Daikon & Chinese mushroom soup.

• White rice.

Thank you for the step by step on muy choy kow yok. Will have to try this soon!

Hello all, new member here (but I've been lurking on this thread a while). Really enjoy browsing through these posts. Lots of great ideas!

Tonight:

image.jpg

Pan fried chicken breast coated with violet mustard and panko crust then finished in the oven. Violet mustard cream sauce on the side. Collards cooked in bacon fat with chicken skin cracklings

Yesterday:

image.jpg

Pork spare rib, dried cuttlefish & lotus root soup. I used

this post as a basic recipe but tweaked some ingredients based on availability.

Edited by Jaded Fork (log)
  • Like 1