• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 1)

liuzhou

Early dinner last night:

• Deep-fried firm tofu chunky slices, sort-of an atsu-age., a.k.a. 炸豆腐 (Yale Cantonese: ja3 dou6 fu6) using Chinese terminology.  The tofu was pressed for a bit to get more water out of it before slicing and frying.  Eaten with sliced scallions, grated raw daikon and a sweet chilli dipping sauce [Lingham's] mixed with fresh lime juice.

• Soba noodles (with yam); dressed with finely chopped Romaine lettuce heart leaves, katsuobushi, chopped scallions, grated daikon, and soba shoyu [Assi] mixed with a little Izu oroshi-wasabi paste.

DSCN0723a_800.jpg

DSCN0725a_800.jpg

• Like 9

Basquecook, are those figs look very good! Dry, soaked?

When duck and foie gras were abundant I use to make this dish of foie gras/duck/figs that I loved so much. 

Franci, incredible. I forgot about your vintage stove! How are you finding actually working with it? It's a thing of beauty.

Thanks, Patrick. I know the stove looks charming but after 6 months of using it, I'm not such a huge fan anymore. If I could, I would like a mix of induction and gas. There were some functions I just loved on induction and I miss (timer on each burner and low simmer, rapid boil, more consistent cooking with my pressure cooker).

The oven is just a pain! Even at lowest setting once it's warm doesn't go below 130 Celsius! So forget slow brasing, You need to turn on and off to keep it low. It's just gas, no other functions, of course and it's no self cleaning. I HUGE pain for me. I hate this oven.

The broiler rocks. Wonderful, For the pork I was able to move the pan around and use it almost like a torch, something you cannot do with a regular broiler

Basquecook, are those figs look very good! Dry, soaked?

When duck and foie gras were abundant I use to make this dish of foie gras/duck/figs that I loved so much. 

Yes, yes.. Dried figs..  Served the sliced duck over the risotto and then topped with the fig sauce.    I serve a similar duck dish at catering events.  I make a cherry demi glace sauce with a chunk of foie and sliced duck and add a bruleed pineapple ring.. Your fig dish sounds similar and really exciting.   Can you describe it more, I will have to give it a go during some event.  

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Early dinner last night:

• Deep-fried firm tofu chunky slices, sort-of an atsu-age., a.k.a. 炸豆腐 (Yale Cantonese: ja3 dou6 fu6) using Chinese terminology.  The tofu was pressed for a bit to get more water out of it before slicing and frying.  Eaten with sliced scallions, grated raw daikon and a sweet chilli dipping sauce [Lingham's] mixed with fresh lime juice.

• Soba noodles (with yam); dressed with finely chopped Romaine lettuce heart leaves, katsuobushi, chopped scallions, grated daikon, and soba shoyu [Assi] mixed with a little Izu oroshi-wasabi paste.

attachicon.gifDSCN0723a_800.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN0725a_800.jpg

That is beautiful.

Edited by Ranz (log)

Yes, yes.. Dried figs..  Served the sliced duck over the risotto and then topped with the fig sauce.    I serve a similar duck dish at catering events.  I make a cherry demi glace sauce with a chunk of foie and sliced duck and add a bruleed pineapple ring.. Your fig dish sounds similar and really exciting.   Can you describe it more, I will have to give it a go during some event.  

I got the idea from a Gordon Ramsay's recipe for calf's liver. It's very simple but I like it.

Basically you mash some fig pulp and combine with a vinagrette (with a touch of lemon, vinegar of your choice). Caramelized some figs in duck fat (or foie fat). Cook duck breast and fresh foie. After I remove most of the fat I just scape the pan with my fig dressing and plate.

We went out last night for a modernist take on Indian cuisine...

image.jpg

Onion bhaji

image.jpg

Sourdough naan bread

image.jpg

Scallop tartare, pomegranate, gunpowder seasoning and a scallop samosa

image.jpg

Mixed vegetables

image.jpg

Butter chicken and tori

image.jpg

Chukkandar gosht (Beetroot and Lamb) with tarka daal

image.jpg

Rhubarb and tea

image.jpg

Ananas crumble (pineapple & black pepper) with white chocolate powder & sauce

• Like 3

Simple but satisfying dinner last night. Delmonico steak (cast iron skillet method) (not shown - the bone which is my favorite part after the cap of course), red carrots (cooked in foil with cumin and dry vermouth), My Bloody Valentine red ale from AleSmith, ciabatta bun from Bread & Cie.

12920817025_25dfaee1c2_z.jpg

• Like 6

12920975504_54e2ee0be9_z.jpg

12920676793_254df4f135_z.jpg

This almost certainly could have benefited from a longer rest. I like to let duck breasts, and most meat for that matter, rest for a long time after I cook it, then I quickly reheat at a high temp, say around 500F, or as high as your oven gets, for 1 or 2 mins. The meat will be warm, and the juice will be inside, rather than on the cutting board. I picked up the technique after watching a few dinner services at Daniel, where it is the norm. 

• Like 1

I totally, agree.. 4 people drank 5 bottles of wine. This was the last course and we sat around the island in the kitchen while I was grilling the two breasts.  But yeh, when I am cooking for customers or cooking on a normal night, I am very aware of resting meat.  Also, because of the photo accent the camera used causing a high red balance , it looks like there is a lot more juice then there was..  It may seem like it is pools but, that was not the case. 

Edited by basquecook (log)

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

How long of a rest would you recommend?

At least as long as it took to cook. This also applies to some fish, such as when you cook turbot on the bone. One exception would be proteins that are cooked, slowly, at a low temp, such as a piece of beef fillet in a 300F oven, which can rest for 10 minutes, then be eaten straight away, or something like a sweetbread which retains heat very well, and is perfect after a 10 minute rest. 

At least as long as it took to cook. This also applies to some fish, such as when you cook turbot on the bone.

Thanks. Usually I rest for half as long as the cooking time, but I noticed that duck breasts need longer. Good tip on reheating afterwards.

Garlic-black bean pan-fried fish – Partly fry fish fillets (haddock) and remove. Stir-fry a chopped head of garlic, knob of ginger, salted fermented black beans, and cilantro stems. Add dark soy sauce, rice wine, sugar, black pepper, and cayenne, and reduce. Remove half of the black bean mixture, return fish to the wok, cover with the remaining mixture, and cook until done. Garnish with cilantro.

Had a heck of a time keeping the haddock from flaking to pieces. Need to use a sturdier fish next time. Served with jasmine rice and salad.

p249646298-4.jpg

• Like 5

Not trying to be authentic Mardi Gras. Just trying to use whatever I had in the refrigerator and the pantry.

dcarch

( Can't seem to get my pictures smaller! )

Mardi Gras Surf & Turf, New Orleans Shrimps and Blackened (sous vided, Actually) Beef Tenderloin

mardigrassurfampturfa.jpg

mardigrassurfampturfa2.jpg

Dirty Rice

dirtyRicea2.jpg

dirtyrice2.jpg

• Like 6

image.jpg

Miso marinated flank steak with toasted cheese bread.

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Franci--Beautiful fish and taters!

Dcarch--A fellow Mardi Gras celebrator :)  Lovely surf and turf.

I love drawing on my chalkboard and changing it for the different seasons/holidays

Image.jpg

We started with some fried pheasant livers, gizzards and hearts

Image 2.jpg

Then, this was going to be crawfish étouffée, but the crawfish tails that I thawed out were YUCKY.  So, I got out some andouille sausage (that really didn't have the taste that andouille sausage should--this stuff was more like just plain sausage) and went with that.  So, andouille sausage étouffée???  It ended up being pretty good.

Image 3.jpg

Finished with some Mardi Gras cinnamon rolls

Image 1.jpg

• Like 12