• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 1)

liuzhou

may I ask how you cured the CkBr ? and your times and temps.

C.B's are one of my 'most useful' SV starting points:  $ 1.77 / lbs on sale. Skinless /Boneless.   All I

do is remove the tendons and then do some sort of SV with them.  they do need a bit of help.

Edited by rotuts (log)

may I ask how you cured the CkBr ? and your times and temps.

C.B's are one of my 'most useful' SV starting points:  $ 1.77 / lbs on sale. Skinless /Boneless.   All I

do is remove the tendons and then do some sort of SV with them.  they do need a bit of help

I used a wet cure - water, salt, sugar, thyme, bay, peppercorns, star anise, cinamon, clove, fennel seeds. I left them in the cure for 12 hours and then sous vide at 60c for 1 hour.

I made up a juniper based dry cure as well which i'll hopefully try this week.

• Like 1

Basquecook and Ann_t: I can't make up my mind which one I want for dinner, the wanton or the Agnolotti.. OK I will take both. :-)

Anna N: Every one is making my favorite dishes. Beef stir fry and Broccoli is my favorite food pairing.

Nickrey: Beautiful Sous vide halloumi . What temperature did you make it at?

Blether: It must have been a couple of years since I made a Shepherd’s pie. You inspired me to want to make one soon.

Kim: that Spaghetti Bolognese can go on any magazine cover.

Jayt90: your pork dish was what inspired me to make mine.

Steve Irby: spectacular Speckled butter beans soup.

Robirdstx: I probably will have, one, two, three or more bowls of that Crawfish Etouffee .

Franci: Very nice plating of beef shank with risotto.

Mm84321: museum pieces, is all I can say.

-       - - - - - - - - -

A few recent ones

dcarch

Sous vide leg of lamb

legofLambsousvide2.jpg

legofLambsousvide.jpg

Sous vide roasted pork

pineapplepork3.jpg

pineapplepork2.jpg

Crispy pork skin from above

porkskinlemonsalt2.jpg

porkskinlemonsalt.jpg

Stuffed tofu

stuffedthintofu2.jpg

stuffedthintofu.jpg

• Like 6

pork loin chops, with onions & mustard sauce , tomato feta salad, panfried leftover baked potato, carrots dressed with butter and maple syrup

porkchopdinner_zps5455dceb.jpg

Edited by Ashen (log)

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

How do you make sous vide Halloumi?  I normally just cut in planks and sear with a little bit of wondra flour.  I can imagine that sous vide should work great on thicker cuts.

Halloumi was sealed with butter, mint leaves, lemon zest, and chilli.  Cooked at 64C for 90 minutes. Removed from bag and then seared in olive oil in hot pan for 30 seconds per side. 

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

nickrey, thank you for the info.  Halloumi is on my list of things to cook now.

Terrible weather again in Washington DC area.  Posole seems to be the perfect dish for tonight.

Image 2.jpg

• Like 2

Bruce: those Camarones a la pimiento look great.  I’ll bet if I did them with roasted jalapenos, I could eat them!  Would you mind directing me to a recipe?

Kim: Thanks! The recipe is from Zarela's Veracruz. Link:

http://www.zarela.com/2013/shrimp-in-black-pepper-sauce-camarones-a-la-pimienta/

Ranz: Your tom kha gai looks absolutely fantastic!

Braised bok choy with chestnuts: Boiled chestnuts, peeled, sliced, steamed, and stir-fried. Baby bok choy stir-fried until tender, quickly braised with the chestnuts and chicken stock, and then finished with potato flour slurry and sesame oil.

p407194828-4.jpg

Slow-braised beef with potatoes: This is one of my all-time favorite dishes. Stir-fry chile bean paste, sliced ginger, cinnamon stick, star anise, dried chiles, and cubed beef chuck. Braise with water, dark and light soy sauce, and rice vinegar. Add potato chunks and continue braising until tender. I reduced the sauce at the end to concentrate the lovely flavors. Elder son was planning to leave before dinner, but the aroma of simmering ginger, beef, and spices kept him around for dinner.

p345557257-4.jpg

• Like 5

Yesterday I was thinking of going out for dinner but the place I had in mind, close to our house, had an hour and half of wait list. So we had a picnic in front of the fireplace, as the children suggested. Short ribs quickly cooked in the pan, husband job.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Tonight we had some homemade cabbage kimchi and broccoli stems kimchi, pickled purple cauliflower

image.jpg

Beef shank, again and some korean sweet potatoes

image.jpg

• Like 9

image.jpg

Sa cha beef and broccoli. Had to try sa cha sauce. Didn't like it.

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Trimmed and glued ribeye cap, pommes puree, kale sauteed in smoked rendered ribeye fat, marchand de vin

IMG_2852_zpscbf110e9.jpeg

can you describe what glued means. 

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Russian comfort food in snow laden Washington DC.  So called herring under fur. Herring on the bottom, layered with carrots, onions, potatoes, beets with healthy dose of mayo.  Vodka shots optional but highly recommended.

Image.jpg

• Like 5

can you describe what glued means. 

Literally that - stuck together with 'meat glue' (transglutaminase).  See here.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

The other day my husband came back with a beautiful pork belly, even the butcher at whole foods was compelled to take a picture. 4 pounds

image.jpg

I might have actually tried origamicrane recipe at the time, remember a good belly when still living in London, but after you guys in the cook off pulled this out again, I couldn't pass it.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

It was very nice but we had it only with some salad and some sauté' vegetables, plus kimchi. I would have like some buns to eat along, just because is so rich.

• Like 14

A hash with pulled pork barbecue (I cheated; went down the street to the barbecue joint and picked up a pound) and sweet potatoes; black-eyed pea cassoulet; vinegar-based slaw with dry mustard and turmeric.

bbq hash.jpg

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

tonight we had dinner with old friends.. 

Started with cooked scallops on the cast iron with Japanese Eggplant.  Sliced thin, cooked with a chinese green sauce. pepper, ginger, scallion, cilantro, sweet soy, soy, garlic, sugar, a pad of butter. a few other things. 

12920636053_c01014cecb_z.jpg

this beautiful broiled mackerel with radicchio treviso, various vinegar dressings.  This was so amazing.. fish, cooked perfectly.

12920579805_3673fde426_z.jpg

Duck with risotto:

12920975504_54e2ee0be9_z.jpg

12920676793_254df4f135_z.jpg

Fig sauce or mustardo

12920979834_e71295a3e8_z.jpgthi

risotto had this triple cream raw goat thrown in at the end. like 3 or 4 tablespoons. 

12920573815_67fa0ff510_z.jpg

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 9

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK