• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 1)

liuzhou

Looks awesome.. i would love to hear about your German Potato salad..

Not much to it. Dice and saute 3-4 strips of bacon; reserve fat. Boil potatoes. When they're barely done, reheat bacon fat, add spicy brown mustard, a splash of cider or red wine vinegar, some caraway seed and a little of the potato water to thin it down. Toss potatoes and bacon with the dressing.Serve warm or room temp. I'd offer measurements, but I've made it so often I don't measure -- a glop of this and a glug of that.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

the caraway threw my off.. Sounds really good, thank you.

I had the impression that caraway seed is thought by at least some Germans (whom I know) to be a "necessary" part of various things - like the sauerkraut accompanying their sausages...stuff like that...and ditto in the cuisine...?

Edited by huiray (log)

Tonight to start we had a variety of three oysters. They were not bad but I'm totally missing my French oysters (and mussels)

That's funny, I was discussing (American) East Coast vs. West Coast oysters with someone recently. I had to inform the guy that we can debate the merits of both, but French oysters were pretty much better than anything we have ever laid eyes upon in the USA. Makes me want to go to France right now. Those and the unfiltered Gauloises.

• Like 1

Shelby, I love the glasses too. We bought them about 14 years ago in a little antique shop in Buffalo, NY. I have eight of the high ball and eight of the old fashions. They were made by the company Culver Ltd. and this pattern is Mardi Gras. You can find them for sale here..... and on Ebay. Also there is a Pinterest board with all of the various patterns made by this company.

• Like 1

Shelby, I love the glasses too. We bought them about 14 years ago in a little antique shop in Buffalo, NY. I have eight of the high ball and eight of the old fashions. They were made by the company Culver Ltd. and this pattern is Mardi Gras. You can find them for sale here..... and on Ebay. Also there is a Pinterest board with all of the various patterns made by this company.

Oh Ann, thank you SO much! My step-dad is from Louisiana and I think he would love these to death. I so appreciate you sharing this info with me.

Ann_T,

Those tacos look absolutely delicious and I am equally in awe of both your photograhic and plating skills.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

the caraway threw my off.. Sounds really good, thank you.

I had the impression that caraway seed is thought by at least some Germans (whom I know) to be a "necessary" part of various things - like the sauerkraut accompanying their sausages...stuff like that...and ditto in the cuisine...?

I use caraway in a lot of German/Eastern European dishes, including my red cabbage. It adds a taste that just seems -- Germanic -- to me. I also use it when I do choucroute garnie, which I have not made this winter; I perhaps need to remedy that. It goes in most things with which I'd drink a Riesling.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Tonight to start we had a variety of three oysters. They were not bad but I'm totally missing my French oysters (and mussels)

That's funny, I was discussing (American) East Coast vs. West Coast oysters with someone recently. I had to inform the guy that we can debate the merits of both, but French oysters were pretty much better than anything we have ever laid eyes upon in the USA. Makes me want to go to France right now. Those and the unfiltered Gauloises.

Here I feel they don't taste like the sea...I think our (me & husband) memories are still so fresh, from the last 4 years in the South of France, that it's very hard for us not too compare.

Tonight we had a cauliflower "rice" with shiitake and cavolo nero with bacon. Very tasty

image.jpg

Shrimp cakes and soup for the children

image.jpg

• Like 2

Was in Chicago for a few days. Had some really wonderful Thai Food but, that's besides the point.. Had one of the smoothest trips home last night. I got through security at 3:22 pm. I was on a 5 pm flight but, with only carry on luggage I wanted to see if they would let me on the earlier flight. They let me on the 4 pm flight, I landed at 7 pm, with no taxi line, I was home and out of my suit before 745.. Taking in the hour time change, I was in awe while I was standing in my kitchen that just 2 hours and 20 minutes before, I was standing in Chicago..

Miss A had pork chops waiting for me to grill. She made a lightly salted polenta made from water and a really lovely simple garlicky green pesto like sauce. She had a bottle of 2002 tempranillo decanted and a really nice salad with avocado and blue cheese. As well as garlic bread.. Life is good

12794038075_97677cb319_z.jpg

Bite:

12794010175_ffee5f7e26_z.jpg

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 11

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Bruce – those Camarones a la pimiento look great. I’ll bet if I did them with roasted jalapenos, I could eat them! Would you mind directing me to a recipe?

Shelby – that pastrami is fantastic looking! I’m totally impressed.

Ann – both of those turkey dishes look outstanding. Open-faced hot turkey sandwiches are a particular weakness of mine. And I could eat that prime rib dinner once a week forever. Well, except for the peas…you could keep them :wink: .

Basquecook – are those crispy sprouts roasted? I love the crusty edges.

Franci – that deep fried snapper looks so great. I really need to try that method sometime.

Kay – love your pork chop dinner! German potato salad :wub: !!! Aren’t you the one who shares my dislike of regular potato salad?

gfweb – arancini look perfect.

Plantes Vertes – I can vouch for Ann’s corn custard. It is a favorite in the Shook household.

Night before last I made CI’s Simple Pot Roast from their 20th Anniversary All-Time Best Recipes publication:

med_gallery_3331_114_145574.jpg

For years, I’ve made what we think is the world’s best pot roast. It’s called Italian Pot Roast and it’s from Ronald Johnson’s book Simple Fare. I’ve wanted to find an alternate beefier recipe for a while now. We still love the Italian pot roast, but occasionally want something different. This was really good and pretty easy to make. I’ll add more garlic next time, though. Served with parsley noodles, Brussels sprouts and Parker House rolls:

med_gallery_3331_114_116284.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_124169.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_93425.jpg

Last night the pot roast leftovers made great French dips:

med_gallery_3331_114_22614.jpg

Served with green beans, baked potatoes and, for Mr. Kim and Jessica, mushrooms:

med_gallery_3331_114_53806.jpg

• Like 9

Tom Kha Gai garnished with chili oil.

tkg-1.jpg

tkg-2.jpg

The soup was incredibly flavoursome even though I could only source dried galangal and lemongrass, but what really blew me away was the chili oil. I now have a bottle full of the golden delicious substance and will be using it on everything.

• Like 8