• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 1)

liuzhou

Mushroom soup made with mushrooms so fresh the gills were still pinkish. I buy them from one of the zillion growers here at a dollar/pound. They taste very different when this fresh (and keep almost two weeks in the fridge)

attachicon.gifIMG_20140222_184806_917.jpg

I thought you were anti-soups? :-) But I suppose this one is "thick enough" for you?

Looks tasty. What mushrooms were they - the "standard" white mushrooms or something else? Consider mixing in several types of fresh mushrooms next time.

First Time Sous Vide Rib Cap Season with just Himalayan pink Salt and Malbar pepper

2Hrs @ 140F then Seared on Weber Grill @ 650F

Paul,

How large was this roast? It looks delicious!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Mushroom soup made with mushrooms so fresh the gills were still pinkish. I buy them from one of the zillion growers here at a dollar/pound. They taste very different when this fresh (and keep almost two weeks in the fridge)

attachicon.gifIMG_20140222_184806_917.jpg

I thought you were anti-soups? :-) But I suppose this one is "thick enough" for you?

Looks tasty. What mushrooms were they - the "standard" white mushrooms or something else? Consider mixing in several types of fresh mushrooms next time.

Well, this was a thick soup.

They were standard white mushrooms with a handful of rehydrated shiitakes mixed in.

Franci--I love oxtail. It's been a while since I've made them. Need to rectify that.

Gfweb--Those scallops look perfect.

Huiray--I'm a sucker for pasta. Looks delicious.

ChrisTaylor--Rabbit! I've never cooked it that way. Looks very good.

Salad with blue cheese and pine nuts

Image.jpg

Crab cake

Image 1.jpg

Salad with capers and cucumbers

Image 2.jpg

Pizza

Image 3.jpg

Ham, mushroom spinach quiche

Image 4.jpg

• Like 9

"" Crab cake ""

Only One? an awful lot of room on that plate for a few more. after all, you're going to have to wash the plate anyway

might as well make it worthwhile

:biggrin:

LOL! Good point. I never thought of it like that.

Those crab cakes were really rich (to me anyway)….AND, I'm a pasta freak so I was more interested in that.

Thanks, Shelby. Just curious - have you had the "Marcella Hazan" tomato sauce? (If you have please disregard this; or mention that you have indeed have had it)

No, I must confess that I haven't. I know what it is, though. I should try it. I tend to be more of a chunky sauce person. More veggies etc.

here is the area in question:

attachicon.gifRoom.jpg

plenty of room for crab cake (s) and more pasta.

:raz:

Start with...

attachicon.gif_001_06.JPG

First course. Carciofi w/vinaigrette. Like we used to eat them in California...

attachicon.gif_001_02.JPG

Main course...

attachicon.gif_001_05.JPG

Roasted kosher chicken, roasted Yukon golds and carrots.

Ohhhhhh Mitch, fresh artichokes. I remember the first time someone made those for me--I was around 10 years old. I LOVED them. In fact, they were supposed to be more for the adults. I was shooed away after a few leaves dipped in butter. :angry:

• Like 1

Ohhhhhh Mitch, fresh artichokes. I remember the first time someone made those for me--I was around 10 years old. I LOVED them. In fact, they were supposed to be more for the adults. I was shooed away after a few leaves dipped in butter. :angry:

Yeah - we don't eat them as much as when I lived in Cali and you could sometimes get nice big ones at 3 for $1!

These were purchased at Whole Foods, and if you know how to pick 'em (heavy and squeaky!), even at $2.50 a pop, well worth it.

The elements of my dinner last night were bought at 4 different places.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

First Time Sous Vide Rib Cap Season with just Himalayan pink Salt and Malbar pepper

Paul,

Anna..

This was about 1 pound. Believe it or not!!

These are rolls created from the top cap of a Rib-eye.. they can average 1.5 to 2.5 pounds and about 3" in diameter . I had split this off a 2.5 pound cap.

This was aged and graded Prime or better from my source.

Cheers Paul

Its good to have Morels

Paul,

Anna..

This was about 1 pound. Believe it or not!!

These are rolls created from the top cap of a Rib-eye.. they can average 1.5 to 2.5 pounds and about 3" in diameter . I had split this off a 2.5 pound cap.

This was aged and graded Prime or better from my source.

Cheers Paul

Ah. Now it starts to make sense! I was misreading the cut of beef you were using. Read "rib cap" but brain translated "rib eye". Thanks so much. Anna

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

So, trying to get rid of leftover mashed potatoes, i decided on making a shepard's pie.. I also happened to have a bunch of veal stock. With carrots, frozen peas, parsnips in the house, all i needed was 1.5 pounds of ground beef..

Hows this for a poor man's sous vide.. I had the mashed potatoes in a plastic bag.. I just heated them up in hot water to soften.. I cut the corners in order to pipe it on top of the meat.. We don't have a microwave in the house

12708973063_51a851476e_z.jpg

I heated up the veal stock and par cooked the parsnips and carrots.. Sweated onions in the other pan. Scallions were getting to the end of their freshness and I was too lazy to get my knife roll so, I was chopping with this old dull knife.

12708983043_20dd69e65d_z.jpg

Every recipe called for using butter and worcestershire sauce or however you spell it. I wanted to make it a little more savory.. Plus a little sweetness in the parsnips plays well with star anise.. So, I added like a half of a star anise, then I also added chinese 5 spice powder.. In addition to a little worcestershire sauce, I also used this Black Vinegar and a half a HI Res by six points.. I don't seem to recall what happened to the other half. Different than what I think of a normal chinese vinegar.. it has a richness and a back note of worcestershire sauce as well. Added some frozen peas at the end.

12708801665_2f8dd56d78_z.jpg

A little spell in the oven, then in the broiler.

12709234004_5787efcfda_z.jpg

The veal stock was pretty damn awesome too..

I have not had many renditions by this is by far my favorite.

12709348535_e622583469_z.jpg

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 7

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Thanks, Shelby. Just curious - have you had the "Marcella Hazan" tomato sauce? (If you have please disregard this; or mention that you have indeed have had it)

No, I must confess that I haven't. I know what it is, though. I should try it. I tend to be more of a chunky sauce person. More veggies etc.

Oh Shelby, you should give it a try at least once. I like chunky sauces also, but I still adore that Marcella Tomato Sauce with Onion and Butter. And huiray's pic looks like he left a little bit of chunkiness to the tomatoes perhaps? That's what I do - use whole canned tomatoes and then I don't always break them up as much as Hazan instructs. Sometimes I throw one or two fresh or frozen ones in as well (peeled). And sometimes I add meatballs. (In fact, I have some leftovers of this in the fridge right now!)

She does have a slightly similar recipe where small amounts of onion, celery and carrot are chopped fine but still cooked in butter for 45 mins with the tomatoes. She used a food mill for the tomatoes, but I might leave them a bit chunkier. This is also a recipe where she normally would add heavy whipping cream at the end, but again, I think I've tried it both ways and still enjoyed it.

Is it the slow cooking and the combination of the tomatoes and butter that makes this sauce so good?

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 2

A very late simple dinner:

Winter melon soup. Made with chicken pieces, pork spare ribs, dried (but rehydrated) Chinese mushrooms (teeny ones plus larger ones (far koo)), dried (but rehydrated) snow fungus, dried oysters, both hung jou and lam jou (two varieties of Chinese jujubes); water, sea salt.

DSCN0637a_1k.jpg

• Like 3