• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 1)

liuzhou

Miss A had dinner waiting for me tonight.

Still eating those two lamb we bought.

Miss A made marinated lamb chops with soy sauce and garlic.

12665941104_8df9805d47_z.jpg

Crispy sprouts with a hot and sweet sauce.

12665563453_a2ac878353_z.jpg

Mashed potatoes.

12665440615_21c3da778b_z.jpg

• Like 10

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

I wasn't planning to cook today but shrimp was on sale and then on impulse I got some mussels. Then I figured I'd better cook the mussels right away so I steamed them in dry white wine and butter. The shrimp was cooked in a recipe called Louisiana Killer Shrimp. I also cooked some sausage, potatoes and corn. Corn was a mistake. It was frozen and cooked up mushy.

DSCN1286_zps12e2ea77.jpg

• Like 10

Beautiful, Franci. Tonight, I defrosted some of the pork with green chile sauce. made rice, served in a soup bowl with the rice, the added the pork and sauce, topped with avocado and red onion.. Avocado, i just mashed some cubes with water, cumin and salt. out of limes so brightened the chile verde and the avocado with lemon.

12686560403_7abfff1ce9_z.jpg

Miss K requested spaghetti with cream sauce.. boiled down cream turned off the heat, added a spoon of mascarpone and a couple of punches of fresh grated parm.

12686502175_2af93cced5_z.jpg

Norm, I wouldn't mind trading places with the photographer

Robirdstx, i really like the burnt end of that sausage.. where did you get it.

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 7

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Robirdstx, i really like the burnt end of that sausage.. where did you get it.

Thanks, my DH did a great job on the grill and the skin was really crispy. We get the sausage from our local grocery store. The brand name is Eckermann's: http://www.eckermannsmeatmarket.com

Took the cheese out around 6 o clock this morning.. Decanted a 2001 around 1 pm. Sat down for a late lunch around 2:30.. With warm bread.. The little one enjoyed a 2 ounce glass. She has a better nose for cheese than me. These two, she loves. We had the Leonora and St. Marcellin. Beautiful cheese, good wine.. I have leftover mashed potatoes,a bag of ground beef,some frozen peas, fresh carrots, beef stock, shallots, demi glace, worchesterschire sauce.. Going to make some type of shepard's pie, we are on track for 930 dinner..

12706306903_17aa81a5c9_z.jpg

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 5

Took the cheese out around 6 o clock this morning.. Decanted a 2001 around 1 pm. Sat down for a late lunch around 2:30.. With warm bread.. The little one enjoyed a 2 ounce glass. She has a better nose for cheese than me. These two, she loves. We had the Leonora and St. Marcellin. Beautiful cheese, good wine.. I have leftover mashed potatoes,a bag of ground beef,some frozen peas, fresh carrots, beef stock, shallots, demi glace, worchesterschire sauce.. Going to make some type of shepard's pie, we are on track for 930 dinner..

To living right, and helping the next generation do the same. Cheers!

It is running in my friendly Harris Teeter. I am in Northern Virginia (which is completely different from the rest of Virginia if you are not sure what I mean). There is a very special fishmonger in the store near my house. She is managing to order seafood that rivals Whole Foods for literally half the price. I just ask her: "What should I get tonight?". It is magical...

Shelby – trade you shrimp for siu yook and pastrami any day of the week!

chefmd - I have never tried shad roe. Can you describe?

Making use of the last of Mrs. C’s ham stock . . .

Corn soup with ham and Poblano chiles – Fried onions and garlic, pureed with corn, cornstarch, and half-and-half, simmered with ham stock, ham cubes, and roasted/chopped Poblano chiles, and finished with cilantro. Yum.

p390362174-4.jpg

Mexican red rice and Mrs. C’s fried plantains – rice pilaf-style rice with white onion, corn, diced carrots, peas, salsa, and chicken stock

p289212962-4.jpg

• Like 4

C. sapidus, shad roe tastes as a mildly crunchy delicate fish. If skate and grits had a baby, it would be shad roe. Give it a try, you will not be disappointed.

Mrs. C's fried plantains look delicious.

Some steak, potatoes, and roasted Brussels sprouts.

The hangar steak was seared, then cryovacced with olive oil and garlic. This was cooked for 3 hours @ 133 F, then unbagged and seared in hot oil. To make the potato puree, I peeled and sliced (about 1 cm thick) some Yukon gold potatoes. They were cooked on the stove in a mixture of milk, butter, salt, and cream for about 40 minutes. I strained the potatoes and pressed them through a fine sieve, then gradually whipped the reserved milk/butter into the potatoes until I reached the desired consistency.

tumblr_n1fe9zVBNX1rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

• Like 9

Arancini served with marinara

IMG_20140217_172656_860.jpg

Jambalaya from the Prudhomme Family Cookbook.

IMG_20140219_182201_007.jpg

Lasagna

IMG_20140220_182302_127.jpg

Mushroom soup made with mushrooms so fresh the gills were still pinkish. I buy them from one of the zillion growers here at a dollar/pound. They taste very different when this fresh (and keep almost two weeks in the fridge)

IMG_20140222_184806_917.jpg

Scallops in apple-cream sauce(with a hint of dijon), risotto, warm lightly pickled cauliflower

IMG_20140222_184619_695.jpg

• Like 8

Rabbit.

DSC_0034_zpsa9637a62.jpg

Nothing complicated:

- 2 * wild rabbits

- store-bought peri peri marinade

- rabbit cooked slowly on gas grill

- when pieces about 75% cooked wrapped in foil with a little water and parked in the oven while I finished off the other things I was serving

• Like 8

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between