• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 1)

liuzhou

Ann_T that pizza looks amazing. Care to share the recipe for the dough?

Here's a little salad I put together - marinated roast beets, comice pears, candied walnuts, goat cheese, arugula, spinach, and white balsamic vinaigrette. The beets were quite amazing - I scrubbed them and cut the tops and bottoms off, dressed them in olive oil, salt, sugar, a splash of water, and balsamic vinegar. Then they were roasted in tin foil at 400 F for 40 minutes, flipped, then roasted another 30 minutes. They were then cooled, peeled, cut into bite sized pieces, and marinated in the pan juices with some extra olive oil and balsamic.

tumblr_n10tvxW9121rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

Edited by Baselerd (log)
  • Like 7

A few recent dinners, heavy on the comfort food in this frigging blizzard

Steamed salmon, mushroom risotto, bok choi

IMG_20140215_185037_154.jpg

Pork potstickers in the pan and on plate

IMG_20140214_192207_815.jpg

IMG_20140212_190230_167.jpg

French Onion Soup, served with a baguette

IMG_20140213_123053_597.jpg

Bratwurst, mash, braised spiced cabbage

IMG_20140213_175823_689.jpg

• Like 13

So I had this little pc of Beef Brisket

1614594_10202360692689902_379653462_o.jpg

I season it a day or two ahead -- I used French's Worcester sauce and Malbar blk pepper ( Heavy ) Vacuum seal

I got up about 6 AM to start-- I do most of this in the oven ( I know ) I get a roasting pan of water , up to temp pf 190F and put into a pre -heated 225 F oven. Then put the brisket on a raised wire rack about 8 " above the pan. With my therma-pen inserted into the thickest pc of the meat, I'm at about 8 AM and I reduce my temp to 190F. Off to run errands.

We get back at about the 7 hr mark, I set up my smoke ( Weber Electric Bullet ) _ I'm using a base of Hickory ( this is shredded) and topped with Red Post Oak ( this is larger cuts and needs the embers to smoke )

I smoke one large pan of chips, its about 1hr then I wrap in butcher paper and foil and back in the oven 225 till 160F internal temp.

IMG_7105.JPG

WE did potatoes Agloit ( sp ) and Brussels sprouts--Served a 05 and 07 Ridge Santa Cruz Mountain estate Cab/Merlot blend

Paul

• Like 5

Its good to have Morels

looks delicious

"" ( Heavy ) Vacuum seal ""

would you comment a bit on this ?

Ive been meaning to learn about Vacuum as a food 'processing' technique

I'll be watching for a reply as I read it unambiguously as heavily peppered!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Friday I made rye bread using a King Arthur Flour recipe. It calls for pickle juice, instant mashed potatoes and dill seeds among other things. I used the same recipe a few years ago--I had forgotten how much I hated working with the dough. It's a VERY dry recipe. Very difficult to get the gluten to work up. And, it doesn't rise much. However, it tastes really good.

Image.jpg

My husband corned a venison roast which I did in the slow cooker

Image 1.jpg

Reuben using Boar's Head sauerkraut--best kraut I've ever had. Convinces me that I need to make my own. Also used a slice of horseradish cheese and swiss cheese and Thousand Island dressing.

Image 2.jpg

Salad

Image 3.jpg

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 11

Bruce – your chicken with ginger sounds like something that I’d like a lot!

Basquecook – could you please explain ‘golden egg potatoes’? They look delicious.

Shelby – my house was very impressed with your egg rolls, soup and fried rice. I can make pretty good soup and rice, but I’ve never had any luck with egg rolls! Good job!

Huiray – we also loved your wontons! So beautifully formed.

Robirdstx – were those Trader Joe Korean ribs frozen?

Franci – that mondeghili sounds and looks delicious. I’ve never heard of that, so I looked it up and found a recipe that I hope to make when I have two good hands again! That’s the kind of thing that makes me love eG.

Ann – that pizza looks just perfect. I doubt my ability to produce such a pie and there is no restaurant near me that could either.

gfweb – love the potstickers. I seem to be gravitating to Asian today. Time for a trip to my favorite Chinese restaurant, I think.

A quick trip through our Valentine’s dinner - Roasted shrimp and olive-y pickle-y stuff:

med_gallery_3331_334_147602.jpg

Mini pitas, toasted baguette rounds, hummus with lemon, pâté de champagne and duck liver pâté with Port:

med_gallery_3331_334_122063.jpg

Cheese plate:

med_gallery_3331_334_83098.jpg

From 12 o’clock: Hervé Mons le Chartreux, Fabes Fontal Qtrs Lombardia, Cypress Grove Midnight Moon (an old favorite) and Cabot 3 year cheddar (another favorite – we get it at Costco and think it is a really superior cheddar).

Brie, chunked up and put under the broiler until soft and warm and topped with a little bit of fig preserves:

med_gallery_3331_334_70349.jpg

Salad:

med_gallery_3331_334_87167.jpg

Champagne and some silly little cupcakes from the Fresh Market bakery:

med_gallery_3331_334_99300.jpg

med_gallery_3331_334_79016.jpg

Because of expected snow, I wasn’t sure that I would be able to get out on Friday to get some really good dessert pastry so I shopped on Wednesday. I figured that the cupcakes would hold up for a couple of days.

My mother made vegetable soup yesterday:

med_gallery_3331_114_61254.jpg

I served it with old school grilled cheese:

med_gallery_3331_114_75560.jpg

White bread and American cheese :blush: .

• Like 8

One of my favorite shapes, pacherri with meat sauce. I'm very burnt out on traditional Sunday gravy with its cooked down tomato taste. Lately when I make a meat sauce I start w a soffrito of carrot, celery and onion and cook that over low heat for 45-60 min. Add garlic and crushed red pepper and cook for another minute, remove from pan and set aside. Brown ground beef and pork then add soffrito and hand crushed San Marzano tomatoes. Simmer for 20-30 min and finish w fresh basil, butter, parm and olive oil. The sauce has a great depth of flavor with a fresh tomato taste. Good stuff. image.jpg

• Like 7

Dinner tonight with a few friends.

We started with salad. kale salad, lemon cream fraiche dressing leftover from Val. Toasted hazelnuts, macerated onions, blue cheese and pomegranate.

12576488785_d75b2ccf36_z.jpg

agnolotti with butter sage sauce. a little olive oil as I ran out of butter and then some pasta water. purchased at eataly. (i worked today) pasta was pretty good. i like to add chicken livers to my filling normally.

12576570873_65fb475927_z.jpg

homemade stuffed artichokes

12577978465_da2ce1c7f6_z.jpg

beautiful dry aged steak from Eataly.. Went well with a really nice glass of old red.

12578442744_06134bf618_z.jpg

baked potatoes with the leftover cheddar.

12576535413_490f2fd42c_z.jpg

I bought some sardines for dinner too but, didn't cook them up.

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 9

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

looks delicious

""   ( Heavy )  Vacuum seal ""

would you comment a bit on this ?

Ive been meaning to learn about Vacuum as a food 'processing' technique

I'll be watching for a reply as I read it unambiguously as heavily peppered!

This is correct.. ( heavy pepper ). my vacuum process.is to help impegnate the season and reduce blood aging..by oxidation.

• Like 1

Its good to have Morels

Bruce – your chicken with ginger sounds like something that I’d like a lot!

Thanks, Kim. If you like ginger chicken, my favorite recipe is from Pleasures of the Vietnamese Table. Nice cheese spread, by the way, the brie and fig preserves sounds particularly tasty.

Shelby – Now I have a major hankering for a Reuben

Keema matar – Onions, ginger, and garlic, chopped and fried with ground cayenne, cumin, coriander, and turmeric. Add chopped tomato and yogurt and cook until the tomato softens. Add ground meat (we used a mix of turkey and lean beef) and garam masala and brown. Simmer with water for a while, and then finish with peas, chopped jalapenos, cilantro, and lemon juice.

Stir-fried green cabbage with fennel seeds – Sliced onions and cabbage, browned and stir-fried with fennel seeds, cumin seeds, and sesame seeds, and cayenne, and then finished with garam masala and lemon juice. This is one of our absolute favorite dishes.

Turmeric rice – Temporary teenage daughter came for a visit and helped cook the rice. Pilaf-style Basmati rice with garlic, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, whole cloves, turmeric, and green cardamom, finished with sliced scallions.

p69662977-4.jpg

• Like 7

Kim, have I ever asked for your Mama's soup recipe??? I think I probably have…and I bet it's on your cookbook site, right? I just love the skinny noodles in there.

Here's the link, Shelby: http://www.recipecircus.com/recipes/Kimberlyn/SOUPSandSTEWS/Momma39s_Vegetable_Soup.html

Be warned that it is mostly just a list of ingredients. And, though my mother uses no stock, I usually like to use chicken stock to thin it out. I like the flavor better with more than just water and tomatoes.

• Like 2