• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 1)

liuzhou

Late dinner last night:

• Scottish salmon fillet marinated w/ ryori-shu, sweet mirin, fresh lime juice, sea salt, sliced ginger, ground black pepper, olive oil. Steamed in the marinade w/ shimeji mushrooms and trimmed scallions.

• Cabbage soup. With smashed garlic & chicken stock.

• White rice (Basmati).

DSCN0407a_1k.jpg

• Like 5

Great, great meals being posted after the Christmas lull. It's been pretty cold on the Gulf Coast so a couple of days ago I made a big batch of Chill-Umbo. It's a true garbage can gumbo with cappicolla, pulled pork, tasso and smoked sausage plus a few chicken scraps . The base is a standard dark roux with a gelatinous pork stock . Add some cajun seasoning, mexican seasoning , okra, black beans, white beans, chili beans, garbanzos and viola! Chilumbo.

P1020497(1).JPG

Last night - I'm still working on variations to the perfect roast chicken. Judy Rogers recipe with the paprika rub suggested by Patrick Amory.

P1020480(1).JPG

This afternoon we had friends for dinner so I prepared a few dishes from "friends" Heston Blumenthal - Braised chicken with sherry and Jamie Oliver - Crosata di Fiche.

P1020500(1).JPG

P1020504(1).JPG

P1020506(1).JPG

• Like 6

Plantes Vertes: Thanks for that info' for the shirataki rice product. I'll look for them next time I'm in the big city! I already use the noodles, so another option for when we are doing carb-free is great.

I picked up a new griddle yesterday at, of all places, my favourite greenhouse! This was in the discount section...$89.99 with 50% off. It's a surgical stainless steel griddle with glass lid.

I grilled turkey breast fillets seasoned with fresh ground black pepper and lemon zest for supper. After browning, added a bit of chicken stock and covered to finish cooking, cooked off the little bit of liquid, then added blanched sugar snap peas and Shanghai bok choy to grill for the last few minutes. Everything turned out great! We also had carrot fries done in the oven. Squeeze of lemon juice was perfect on the moist and tender fillets.

1 Griddle 0323.jpg

2 Griddle 0320.jpg

Lemon pepper Turkey fillet0319.jpg

• Like 4

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Ann – Thanks! I love roasted Brussels sprouts, I bet they are even better with a little Parmesan.

Dejah – Carrot fries? Do tell!

Steve "Garbage can gumbo" for me, please :laugh:

Beef and potato tinga: Cooked in the crock pot with crisped chorizo sausage, chipotles in adobo, diced tomatoes, garlic, thyme, cumin, and cinnamon. When the tinga was done I removed the solids and concentrated the sauce. Served with warm corn tortillas and Tapatio salsa. Mrs. C made a ginger-orange vinaigrette to go with the salad.

p738479810-4.jpg

• Like 7

I have no pics, but I had Louisiana fried catfish, Truffled crinkley fries with Romano, and snow peas!

Delicious all the way, pics or not...

• Like 1

I'm a lifelong professional chef. If that doesn't explain some of my mental and emotional quirks, maybe you should see a doctor, and have some of yours examined...

Peri peri chicken. I started with Keith_W's recipe for the marinade although changed a few things, ending up with

1 roast capsicum, diced

juice of 2 lemons

2 tsp cayenne powder

2 tsp chipotle powder

1 tsp onion powder

4 tbs crushed-chilli-from-a-jar-that-really-was-about-as-potent-as-cotton-wool

3 cloves of garlic

0.5 cup extra virgin olive oil

1 tbs salt

All of that was mixed together with a blender.

I liked the result enough to make it again but next time I'd make a few changes:

• More heat. Lose that shit from the jar and replace it (or maybe combine it) with some habanero paste. Or just some minced bird's eyes.
  • More acid. Maybe combine the lemon juice with some vinegar--malt or white wine or maybe cider.
  • After an initial (or maybe prior to a post-) sear transfer the meat to an oven/smoker (with a little bit of mesquite)/water bath/etc. Cooking all the way on the grill ... the marinade burns very quickly. And it's not like I was cooking over actual flames.

DSC_0067_zps81ad969f.jpg

• Like 10

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

My son made dinner last night. We had Kalbi, kimche and fish cakes with rice. The day before I went to the market and asked for short ribs. The guy went in the back and brought out a slab. I asked him to slice them across the bones. He looked at me funny and said "Really? How thick?" Time before the other guy knew exactly what I wanted and said "You mean like for kalbi?" They were nice and meaty. Perfect for the dish and my son did a great job with dinner.

• Like 2

Here's a few of the notables for the new year.

Salads: Palmito and Olive, Chicken Teriyaki, Wine Chicken Caesar,

PalmitoSalad.jpg

TeriyakiSalad.jpg

CkCesar.jpg

Fowl Dishes: Fingers, Ginger Chicken; Christmas Dinner (technically, this is turkey)

CkFingers.jpg

GingerCk.jpg

XmasDin.jpg

Meaty Things: Beef in Wine-mushroom reduction; Pizza; Meatloaf with a nod to Paul Bacino's braided bacon barding method

BeefBourg.jpg

Pizza.jpg

Meatloaf.jpg

Seafood things: Shrimp in Mango Chutney Sauce; Wahoo Nuggets

MangoShrimp.jpg

Nuggets.jpg

• Like 8

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Banged out a quick dinner tonight of all leftovers.. Mushroom stock with butter and scallops served with pasta made with leftover dough. tossed in a little bit of this wild mushroom salad. Scallops were like candy.

12180868314_894c64e320.jpg

12181066426_84f5078c59.jpg

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 5

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Pressured Pork

I pressure cooked the skin portion of a pork shoulder roast, for .75 hour.

I finished it under the broiler or 15 minutes, and served with a reduction of the braising liquid.

Not really crispy, but unctuous and nicely melted meat. mdu5.jpg

• Like 8

kaby, stunning chuck meat. Where did you source it, if I may ask? Are you based in the US, or elsewhere?

Wonderful marbling - it reminds me of the meat you see at Korean butchers and Korean bbq restaurants.

Patrick, I'm in northeastern Arkansas, about an hour northwest of Memphis, Tennessee. The chuck comes from a local farm; I bought a quarter of a steer last fall. It dressed out about 125 to 135 pounds for the quarter, and cost me a bit over $600. I considered it a pretty good buy. Well distributed among steaks (different cuts), roasts, ground beef, shank, oxtails, short ribs, and a nice piece of brisket that's destined for corned beef this St. Pat's Day.

On the hoof, I believe it was Angus.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

image.jpg

Simple stir-fry of chicken and celery.

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

jayt90

would you add a little more detail on the **** stunning looking **** Pig Skin above?

might you add that to some of the shoulder that might have also been cooked PC ? sort of like a Carnita dish with a Skin topping?

I think the secret to this dish was the fairly intense braising liquid in the PC stage. It was a reduced, gelatinous brown stock. It was made from a variety of left overs, chicken carcass, turkey neck, and some beef bones. My substitute for Ruhlman's veal stock.

For the finish: Out of the PC, rested to separate fat from braise, and under the broiler with a generous basting of the braise.

This came about when I had a 6 lb large shoulder roast to divide and freeze. I separated the muscles, (Euro style butchering) and was left with one boneless chop, one roast with the bone, and the strip of skin, 2" thick with striated fatty meat layers. Since I do not do sous vide, this part cried out for PC cooking.

From your suggestion, I may try carnitas with the remaining small roast.

Cheese and cranberry sauce toastie

20i6o87.jpg

Jerk pork belly, roasted onions

30ubryw.jpg

Bucatini with mascarpone, cream sauce and Portobello mushrooms

350nm.jpg

Braised pork belly, Chinese black vinegar, garlic

1539qps.jpg

Teriyaki chicken, carrot and celery salad with crispy herbs, sesame, ginger dressing

20iwhag.jpg

Steamed sea bass with ginger spring onion, pak choi

309r95k.jpg

Bacon cheeseburger, Sriracha mayo

21ce8t5.jpg

• Like 11

stephen129

astonishing stuff ! many thanks for taking the time to share !

id enjoy any and all of the above !

not to pick one thing out, as Id randomly enjoy every thing I see above

but that Burger would really hit the spot tonight for me !

very much like the idea of the Sriracha mayo

Sooooooooo

a temp stop on the SV and its back to a few Burgers !

Kudos your Way for the suggestion !

:biggrin:

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

4 lbs of chiles, 8 pounds of bone in organic pork, a shit load of cumin, 18 cloves of garlic several heads of shallots and then I have this habanero puree I make at home.. I love heat so, I snuck in perhaps a quarter cup of pureed habaneros, a little white wine, a little turkey stock (that's what i happened to have). thickened with masa

Browned the pork cubes and cooked on low for a couple of hours.

12145024534_cdd3abe06f_z.jpg

12180884134_8ca0547653_z.jpg

Not the prettiest of photos..

Lunch today on the run.. I will make chilquiles, perhaps enchiladas and freeze the rest in 4 person portions..

Today. simply over rice. It's intoxicatingly good.

12194294514_862e7ee4cf_z.jpg

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 7

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Oyster salad with buttermilk dressing and watermelon radishes. We were in New Orleans a few months ago and had this salad at MiLa. This is my reasonable facsimile and it is really tasty. For the dressing I used a Ina Garten recipe with a substitution of tarragon for the basil. I shucked the oysters and dusted with a very fine corn meal and flash fried.

P1020515(1).JPG

• Like 8