• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Madness In The Kitchen

dcarch

dcarch, I'll add my admiration to the rest. Particularly intrigued with the ham and black eyed pea pate. Details? They're neat-looking little things.

Question on sous viding and holding meat. How long does it take a good-sized piece of meat -- say 4-6 pounds -- to come back up to temp in the water bath?

Thanks Kayb. The black eyed pea pate was based roughly on a recipe from Southernliving as follows:

• 1 1/2 cups frozen black-eyed peas
  • 1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeded
  • 3/4 cup chopped country ham
  • 1 (3.5-oz.) package fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced (or 4 oz. sliced button mushrooms)
  • 3 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
  • 1/4 cup dry white wine
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped toasted walnuts
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
  • I fancy-ed it up a little by filling the pate in crispy bacon squares and on puffed pastries. Supposedly black eyed peas for New Year good luck is a Southern tradition, then I found out the tradition was started by the Jewish people.
  • As to reheating the meats, it really is not very critical as long as the temperature is not higher than the cooked temperature, and timing is not that critical either. The prime rib was in the water for 5 hours because of guest arrival delays,

Beautiful meals as usual Dcarch. Some how I'm picturing these beautiful plates on paper plates. Just can't do it

Thanks Scubadoo. Paper plates I got were very nice. Not your typical supermarket variety. Every thing was paper and disposable, all except wine glasses. That can never be plastic.

Typical way for nice sit-down dinners is to have your best silverware and china and table cloth out, but that was not possible under the circumstances. Instead, I made the whole atmosphere relaxing and fun, but not cheap. It was hilarious when I came out from the kitchen with food, dressed in a chef's uniform, which I bought for $14.00 on ebay.

dcarch

Chef1a_zps67ed1901.jpg

• Like 2

That's exactly what's happened to me: I can't see any of your photos, because a Photobucket advert keeps coming up instead. Everyone's comments on the contents makes me wish I could see them.

Nonetheless, I'm impressed based on the descriptions.

Edited by Smithy (log)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Thank you ! I apologize the pictures disappeared. Apparently the viewings have caused the allowed Photobucket bandwidth to be exceeded for this month.

But the pictures will be back in a few days.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)