• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mgaretz

8 qt. Tri-Ply Stock Pot w/inserts at Coscto for $49

2 posts in this topic

Costco has a Tramontina brand tri-ply 8 qt. stock pot that includes both a steamer insert and a pasta insert (which is nice and deep) for just $49.95. Beautiful looking and seems to be about the same weight and thickness as my AllClad pieces. I checked the web and the same pot is going for $130 and up without the steamer insert.

It's in a box packed especially for Coscto, so I assume it's in pretty wide distribution.

The package does not state it's induction compatible, but some websites say it is. The package claims it uses 18/10 stainless, which would normally not be induction friendly. But I did a quick test with a magnet and it adhered nicely to the pot. So either there's also a layer of steel in there or most likely the outer layer is 18/0 which is induction friendly. I don't have an induction burner to try it with though.

So for $49.95 I thought this was a great deal and I snapped one up.

3 people like this

18/10 steel is induction friendly

Steel is iron with a little bit of carbon

Stainless steel is steel with a bit of chromium (12% at least to qualify as stainless, almost all contain 18%), this is 18/0

A little nickel is usually added to prevent corrosion, this is the second number, in good cookware it's 10% thus

18/10 stainless steel= iron, a little carbon, 18% chromium, 10% nickel.

Both iron and nickel are ferromagnetic, and will work with induction. Any steel/stainless steel pan will work with induction cooktop

Edited by Beusho (log)

“...no one is born a great cook, one learns by doing.”

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0