• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help! Freezing freshly baked cookies for homemade ice cream sandwiches

lynnthebaker

Hi All!

I am new to this forum and need your expertise. I am planning a baby shower and want to pre-make ice cream sandwiches. I tried it a few times and the cookies come out hard as a rock when frozen. When I let it thaw for 15 mins, the ice cream was too soft.

Is their a way to freeze homemade ice cream sandwiches and be able to eat it as soon as you take it out of the freezer?

My next experiment would be to under bake the cookies so it is softer, completely cool the cookies, then create the ice cream sandwich and freeze.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you so much!

Lynn, the reason you're running into this problem, I think, is that most cookies have a fair amount of moisture. When frozen, that moisture of course turns into ice. IMHO, baking the cookies less will make the problem worse, not better. What I've used very successfully for ice cream sandwiches are pizzelles, but maybe that's more of an investment than you want to make for a one-off baby shower. Thought I throw it out there, though, in case the idea appeals. If you try this, freeze the pizzelles before forming the sandwiches. Otherwise, they'll be too fragile.