• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bitters and Baking

JoNorvelleWalker

I made a Dutch baby pancake today and on a whim I added a couple dashes of Angostura. The effect was subtle but I think improved the dish, which can be cloyingly sweet with maple syrup.

Anyone else tried bitters in their bakegoods? Any thoughts?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

My "secret ingredient" in standard chocolate chip cookies is Angostura. I like it also in baked goods with warm spices - things like a pumpkin loaf or gingerbread. For me it is the fish sauce of the sweet world.

• Like 2

I haven't played with bitters for baking. I have made an orange bitters ice cream that I was happy with so maybe I need to give the baking with bitters thing a try.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

My "secret ingredient" in standard chocolate chip cookies is Angostura. I like it also in baked goods with warm spices - things like a pumpkin loaf or gingerbread. For me it is the fish sauce of the sweet world.

How much Angostura do you use in proportion to the other ingredients?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

How much Angostura do you use in proportion to the other ingredients?

Just a couple dashes. Not by the teaspoon like the vanilla or other extract.

• Like 1

I made angostura bitters caramels today which were delicious, but not very bitter or herbal. I used 1 ounce bitters for 10 oz sugar, 8 oz cream, 3 oz glucose, 2 oz butter, 1 tsp salt. Needs more, or something to bring out the bitter. Grapefruit zest?

• 2 years later...

I made some Tahitian vanilla ice cream last night (the basic LCB custard style formula) and added two drops of Angostura to the last cup. I liked it, I have not given any to my tasting panel. It added a subtle herbal quality that elevated the ice cream, definitely more complex and interesting.

• Like 2

I've used them in dashes (like say 3-5) for pies.  I agree that it adds some positive oomph to the flavors.  Substituting it for vanilla seems like it would be too much, but I'd be willing to try it.  

Here's a "Splendid Table" segment on it that I happened to hear not too long ago:  

http://www.splendidtable.org/story/use-bitters-to-add-flavor-complexity-to-food-not-just-cocktails

Edited by SLB (log)
  • Like 2

When in Grenada in December I purchased a bottle of Angostura Orange Bitters, something I was unaware existed. Like an idiot, I forgot to pack it when flying back home! I am sure it would make an incredible addition to certain baked items.

• Like 1

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

9 minutes ago, JohnT said:

When in Grenada in December I purchased a bottle of Angostura Orange Bitters, something I was unaware existed. Like an idiot, I forgot to pack it when flying back home! I am sure it would make an incredible addition to certain baked items.

One of my favourites!