• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Happy New Year, fellow Chefs!

David Hensley

This thread may or may not survive the examinations of the admins, but I'd just like to take a moment to wish all of my fellow professional Chefs in the entire world a very happy new year!

Some of us have only just arrived home after an incredibly long day, and some of us still have a while to go before the freedom of an ended shift will allow us to come home to our loved ones. Society may well look down upon us all, for our unorthodox lifestyles, for our occasionally bad attitudes, or simply because cooking isn't a "real" job to them....

I however, salute us all !!!

We make the world go round, we make it possible for "normal" people to have pleasurable times with friends and family, while we miss out on seeing our own. We deal with the idiotic bullshit that the non-restaurant people of the world may bring us, and we do it with excellence, and pride! We espouse the "personal power" mantra of gurus everywhere, and yet we suffer at the hands of fools and worse, simply because we choose to serve. I love all of you, brothers and sisters, for what you do, for what we do, and for the industry that we all love, and continue to pursue and support.

May 2014 truly be the year of the Chef.....

• Like 3

I'm a lifelong professional chef. If that doesn't explain some of my mental and emotional quirks, maybe you should see a doctor, and have some of yours examined...

Happy 2014 to all!

Take a little time to reflect what you have cooked/eaten in 2013.

And take a little time to set your food goals for 2014.

2013 was a good eating year for me.

I have many new cooking projects planned this new year.

dcarch

• Like 2