• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What are you cooking for New Year's Day (2014)

alanz

Here is the duck on the rotiss. I loved the crispy skin and the duck fat that I was able to save. It sure doesn't taste like the duck I'm used to. Not a bad thing, just different.

Edited to add:

I have a pot of ham and beans bubbling merrily away on the stove. The beans include black-eyed peas. I will make some sort of cornbread in a bit. Maybe muffins. Maybe with cheese and peppers in them. I'm contemplating making a sweet potato pie from taters my mother-in-law gave me that she needed to use up.

I hope you all have had a great first day of the year! It's blizzarding here, so it feels especially cozy in the kitchen this evening.

Image.jpg

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 7

It was a busy day, and we are pooped. Total of 43 people came through here over an 8 hour period. They loved the food. I had great fun explaining sous vide to some guests. The SV eggs were a hit. Lauren decided to do the crispy chicken recipe from MC@H... Folks snarfed that up quickly. Oxtails were another favorite. Now we get to look forward to next year's party, an think about a new menu.

• Like 1

We did traditional NYD dinner of pork chops, kale, blackeyed peas and cornbread with green onions and pepper jack cheese.

I can add an idea for the chicken and waffles. We were in Charleston, SC last fall and had brunch at Poogan's Porch http://www.poogansporch.com/

They served a blueberry jalapeno syrup that really worked and enhanced the sweet/savory of the dish. I ripped it off for a small group last Monday that watched the Navy football team's bowl game.

I used grade A dark amber maple syrup and added Polaner buleberry all fruit jelly until it had a nice bleberry flavor. Then I diced about a tablespoon of pickled jalapenos as small as I could. Simmerred slowly for a few minutes. The guests loved it.

Edited by DTBarton (log)

Chicken and waffles just sounds like drunk food to me. (Yes, I know it has been around since at least the Jazz Age.)

People seem to love it from all the talk about it. My brain just says "I don't think so" whenever I hear about it.

• Like 1

None of our guests ate the chicken and waffles together (some did, last year)

The only thing I had to keep a close eye on, was that no one knew how to use the ISI whipping siphon unless I showed them. Some folks inadvertently let the gas out of it, as they stared at it puzzled. It's likely residual experience from years of using Redi Whip cans. They did enjoy the whipped cream (just heavy cream, some sugar and vanilla) on the waffles... or fingers.

I know it's late for New Year's Day, but I did make Judiu's Johnny Mac's 4 can salad for supper tonight. Had to sub one or two ingredients, but we did enjoy it nonetheless. Thanks, Judiu.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

New Year's Day, I made savory tong yuen loaded with ground pork balls, shrimp, dried scallops, Chinese sausage and loads of daikon julienne - my favourite part. This was one of my Mom's favourites, and I am so glad she taught me how to eat these "sticky balls" of glutinous rice flour. Hubby is not adept at chewing and swallowing these, so he got wontons and shrimp roe noodles.

_Savory Tong Yuen0227.jpg

Wonto Soup0225.jpg

For supper, we had lamb chops and basmati rice with toasted jeera and green cardamom..

Grilled Lamp Chops, Fresh mint sauce, green beans almondine basmati rice with jeera and cardamom0229.jpg

• Like 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

For NYE, we did a sherry and nutmeg butternut squash soup starter, grilled kalbi LA style short ribs, szechuan eggplant, and baked sweet potato cubes in a coconut milk-based thai sauce for the main, and for dessert home made bourbon coffee ice cream on top of a brownie and garnished with candied pecans.

-- Mache

• Like 2

Here's the buffet table we presented at our open house.

Not shown is the Bo Ssam (it came out later), and the waffle maker (just to the right of the sous vide eggs, you can see the whipping siphon, but not the maker)

nyd2014_food_a_1.jpg

nyd2014_food_b1.jpg

• Like 3

Yes, we all enjoyed it.

I had an instruction sheet above the egg station. Putting down the two tiles worked out great, one protected the table from the hot pot, the other gave the guests (or me) a place to easily crack the egg.

The complete assembly was a small bowl of toast, a ladle of creamed asparagus, topped with an egg.

The guests were very impressed with the perfect egg to complete the dish.

I was kidding with Lauren by saying next year we should just order in a couple of trays of ziti, chicken parm, etc. because that's what so many people are used to at parties.

Of course, then they would ask "who are you, and what have you done with Alan and Lauren?"

• Like 1

Rotuts,

I forgot to mention that I had my second Anova unit in a 30 quart cooler in the kitchen, reheating all the items (to 130 degrees) that were previously cooked and sealed in vacuum bags, before bringing them to the steam table. Having the two units worked out perfectly for the party. The only items that did not come out of vacuum bags were the MC@H crispy chicken wings and creamed asparagus (made that morning), and the waffles, made to order by our guests. Oh, and of course, the eggs.

• Like 2

New Year's Day, I made savory tong yuen loaded with ground pork balls, shrimp, dried scallops, Chinese sausage and loads of daikon julienne - my favourite part. This was one of my Mom's favourites, and I am so glad she taught me how to eat these "sticky balls" of glutinous rice flour. Hubby is not adept at chewing and swallowing these, so he got wontons and shrimp roe noodles.

attachicon.gif_Savory Tong Yuen0227.jpg

attachicon.gifWonto Soup0225.jpg

For supper, we had lamb chops and basmati rice with toasted jeera and green cardamom..

attachicon.gifGrilled Lamp Chops, Fresh mint sauce, green beans almondine basmati rice with jeera and cardamom0229.jpg

Would love to get that lamb chop recipe.

Edited by SylviaLovegren (log)

For NYE, we did a sherry and nutmeg butternut squash soup starter, grilled kalbi LA style short ribs, szechuan eggplant, and baked sweet potato cubes in a coconut milk-based thai sauce for the main, and for dessert home made bourbon coffee ice cream on top of a brownie and garnished with candied pecans.

-- Mache

And how about a recipe for that soup? Sounds really good.

Sorry, a bit late... Nothing too fancy (some sous vide pork tenderloin) but I did finally try the MC carmalized carrot soup sans centrafuge beacuse I'd finally broke down and bought a pressure cooked over the Christmass holiday. And speaking of breaking down I also had to replace my old blender on New Years Day because of this recipe. :smile:

attachicon.gifGrilled Lamp Chops, Fresh mint sauce, green beans almondine basmati rice with jeera and cardamom0229.jpg

Would love to get that lamb chop recipe.

Lamb chops were just seasoned with Montreal Steak Spice and seared in a hot pan. They were great, especially with mint sauce...

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com