• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Cook in Your Family

weinoo

My mother is really a great cook, we, the family members like her cooking much. Our relatives also do the same. This is a nice topic done by you, and this kind of topics are done by only great people like you. The post is really very useful to the members of this forum anyway. I hope in near future you will continue such kind of postings. Now to www.craftsvilla.com for a while.

My Italian mom and my aunt, both amazing cooks. My husbands who seems to amazingly put together a phenomenal meal sans recipe. Definitely not me., I'm the one everyone calls to find out the best place to eat and makes reservations for them.

Edited by Meredith380 (log)

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose I am.

But I am in agreement with the early poster who saw the question from a variety of angles.

My parents bonded over food, food was an important part of their relationship, and their various food projects loom large in my memories and influence my own relationship with food. My father bottled root beer. We picked blueberries at an organic farm (a symphony of praying mantis watching) and my mother made pie. The two of them canning tomatoes from the garden. My father and I making popcorn balls (which ended after my finger was badly burned with syrup). Cherry pie made with cherries from a tree in our backyard. Rose petal jam made with roses from our backyard.

My mother was an excellent cook and baker, and I learned a lot from her, particularly one key talent. I learned very early what tastes good. Every time I eat something from a much-touted bakery I get on my knees and thank god my mother was such a good baker and I know what good baking tastes like. Because not many people do. People line up to eat things I take a bite from and throw in the garbage. I am convinced this is because they never had the opportunity to eat something that tasted good. Without her, I am nothing.

I took a pie-making class with Carole Walter, and I told her I wanted to make a pie as good as my mother's. Carole took me under her wing and made me a comparable pie maker. But I keep trying new crusts, I don't have A Crust. My mother had A Crust. I can't replicate it.

My grandmother's cooking was not superb but she had a way with food that was amazing. She made her own pasta and noodles, rolling the dough out with a broom handle my father cut to be the width of her kitchen table. The soups that included bones from several animals. Never used a recipe. Her kitchen had a particular smell I'll never forget, such a floury, meaty, earthy smell.

My brothers, shockingly, married bad cooks. I don't know how they managed, knowing full well how good it could be.

• Like 3

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

It's a toss up between me and my dad.

My mam was a competent cook, but didn't enjoy it much.

My dad cooked in the weekends and during holidays and when he retired he did all the cooking. My mam made a mean hachee though, as well as a white bean dish!

My brother can cook if he wants to, which is not too ofter.

My dad grew up in the east indies and when everyone in holland was still living on potatoes, boiled veges and a piece of meat, we ate rice, pasta, potatoes etc etc.

I liked spending time with my dad, so suppose thats were I picked up my love for cooking (esp SE Asian food).

My mam passed a way quite a while ago. My dad is in his eighties now, lives on his own and still cooks for himself eveyday

• Like 3

In my immediate family, it's me by a country mile, except for baked goods. My wife cooks only if she has to and while she does fine, her range is pretty limited. She does however bake very fine breads, pies, cookies, and cakes though, something that I've never had the inclination to get into much.

My dad began to take over cooking duties from my mom when I was a teenager, and he, like me, is not afraid to try new things, whereas she's pretty much a Betty Crocker gal, but I've outpaced him by far, I think. The best cook in my extended family other than me is undoubtedly my maternal uncle, who has an artistic flair. Which of the two of us is better is hard to say, since I see him so rarely (he lives in Washington state, I live in Pennsylvania).

• Like 2