• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hatch green enchilada sauce: your take?

rotuts

thank you

exactly so.

Ive chosen to very much limit the exogenous sodium I take

just because I can.

your points are well taken.

the next time I do the

green chile chicken casserole

Ill use the queso seco for a bit on the top!!

many thanks for your input !!~

I need a H.E.B locally it seems !

Well, the quote feature ain't working either.

But, Rotus, you said next time you'll put the queso seco "for a bit on the top."

Be sure you that you do that AFTER you've cooked it. Just, as I say, as a final garnish.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I'm a transplant To New Mexico, now living in Tesuque on the north side of Santa Fe. Chile is taken seriously here and that grown in Hatch is taken very seriously.

Hatch is in the southern part of the state and is quite small. The farms are mostly all family operations, nothing big or "commercial".

Year-in and year-out when the chiles are harvested - anywhere from late August to early October - all over town here in Santa Fe vendors pop up in parking lots with roasters attached to propane tanks and banners saying Hatch Chile ! Some tout Soccoro Chile.

The man that cuts my hair in Albuquerque was born and raised in Hatch and still owns the family property there though it is no longer actively farmed but for a few rows of true Hatch chiles just for family. We have a good laugh each year about the commercialization of New Mexico chile.

The State Legislature has passed bill upon bill trying to rein all this in with little success.

The truth is most of the chiles sold as New Mexico chile for sauces and the like are grown in Mexico regardless of how they are labeled.

http://www.hatchchilefest.com/

Edited by fyfas (log)

Bob Sherwood

“When the wolf is at the door, one should invite him in and have him for dinner.”

- M.F.K. Fisher

good enough.

for a Buck a Can, I would not mind a case or two of the H.E.B. as it suits my purposes exact'y

I may be mistaken about this, however, I seem to recall that the small cans of green chiles sold by TJ's, are Hatch chiles. Can someone confirm this, or correct me if I'm wrong?

... Shel

I probably shouldn't even mention this but wow did I score big. We have an Amish owned scratch and dent store here. They were selling 27 ounce cans of Hatch chilies for 85 cents each. Damage was so minor you really had to look. More like a scuff than a dent. Did I buy anyway? You bet I did, every single one.

• Like 1

" green chiles sold by TJ's, are Hatch "

on my list

too bad no green enchillada sauce. again, maybe my sister will send me a case or two of the H.E.B.

that dollar less would cover the Parcel Post !

Rotus - you seriously should work on making your own green chile sauce, rather than just buying it from HEB. Or anyone else, for that matter.

Just so happens that I'm now living in Texas, and our local HEB is where we always shop, and they're a really great grocery purveyor. For one thing, since us Texans really love chiles, every year at Hatch chile season, the HEBs here all put those big roasters out front in the parking lots and roast away. So I do love HEB.

But I also lived in New Mexico for quite a number of years, and still have relatives all over the state, so I visit often. Just drove through Hatch last week. That recipe I gave for Sonoran/New Mexican-style stacked green chile enchiladas back on the first page came from a very popular restaurant in the Hatch Valley, where we've been going for, literally, decades. I don't know if the HEB enchilada sauce has tomatillos in addition to the Hatch chiles but, if so, it's a simple matter to add them.

I'd suggest you get out a couple of your cans of Hatch chiles and make that recipe I gave. It's really simple, especially with canned chiles. That can be your starting point. Then fiddle and tweak it until you get it just like you want it.

You're far better off to come up with your own rendition of green chile sauce, in pretty-much every way I can think of, rather than relying on a continuous supply of canned.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

rotuts ... I tend to agree with Jaymes on this, if for no other reason sauces like this are so easy to make and the results are so much better than what can be purchased. I understand that there's a big convenience factor when you buy the items, and I certainly am no stranger to convenience (having just enjoyed a couple of TJ's masala burgers for lunch), however, just think about giving it a try, if you haven't already and decided that you just don't want to make this item.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Well I used the TJ's cans today. Meh. Very little flavor, almost no heat. NO "roasted" flavor whatsoever. Just as rotuts said. I spiked it with a bunch of serranos, some oregano, chicken stock, salt, cumin, and powdered garlic. Came out not too bad in the end.

Tried earlier to put a link to this good article about types of green chiles, but couldn't get the "link" thingy to work.

Seems to be working now, so here it is:

http://mexicanfood.about.com/od/chileinformation/tp/Types-Of-Green-Chiles.htm

So anyway, if you are making green chile stew, the frozen guys are really the best option. I would argue only option but, whatever..

4 lbs of chiles, 8 pounds of bone in organic pork, a shit load of cumin, 18 cloves of garlic several heads of shallots and then I have this habanero puree I make at home.. I love heat so, I snuck in perhaps a quarter cup of pureed habaneros, a little white wine, a little turkey stock (that's what i happened to have). 4 lbs of chiles, 8 pounds of bone in organic pork, a shit load of cumin, 18 cloves of garlic several heads of shallots and then I have this habanero puree I make at home.. I love heat so, I snuck in perhaps a quarter cup of pureed habaneros, a little white wine, a little turkey stock (that's what i happened to have). thickened with masa

Browned the pork cubes and cooked on low for a couple of hours.

12145024534_cdd3abe06f_z.jpg

12180884134_8ca0547653_z.jpg

Not the prettiest of photos..

Lunch today on the run.. I will make chilquiles, perhaps enchiladas and freeze the rest in 4 person portions..

Today. simply over rice. It's intoxicatingly good.

12194294514_862e7ee4cf_z.jpg

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 1

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK