• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Intervention for Chocolates with that Backroom Finish

Jenjcook

Not a huge disaster, but pretty annoying.  I made some bars today, Felchlin Arriba 72% with bits of candied orange zest.  Almost half of them cracked along the indents in the mold.  I've had this happen before, with a different dark chocolate and a different inclusion.  I like my inclusions in the middle of the bar rather than just sprinkled on the bottom, but that sure wasn't working in my favor today :angry: Any tips for better luck with this?

orange.jpg cracked .jpg

Edited by pastrygirl (log)

Not a huge disaster, but pretty annoying.  I made some bars today, Felchlin Arriba 72% with bits of candied orange zest.  Almost half of them cracked along the indents in the mold.  I've had this happen before, with a different dark chocolate and a different inclusion.  I like my inclusions in the middle of the bar rather than just sprinkled on the bottom, but that sure wasn't working in my favor today :angry: Any tips for better luck with this?

attachicon.giforange.jpg attachicon.gifcracked .jpg

I'm finding it hard to see for sure - but are you under filling the molds?  If so I wonder if filling more would mitigate the problem.  

I'm finding it hard to see for sure - but are you under filling the molds?  If so I wonder if filling more would mitigate the problem.  

Kerry, I filled them, dumped 1/2 or 2/3 out (trying to leave a decent base layer), sprinkled with candied zest, let set, then added more chocolate to fill the mold and encase the bits, then a final beauty coat - the molds end up completely full, but they are small, only about 1/4" deep. Finished bars weigh around 35g.  I refrigerated them 10-20 minutes until they released from the molds.  I might just need to be more careful about keeping the bits away from the weak parts of the mold.  Or did I chill them too long and make them brittle? 

Edited by pastrygirl (log)

I suppose it's a problem of too high tension between the 2 thin layers of chocolate, combined to the refrigeration. If you let set the first layer then the second layer will get attached to it while fluid, expecially with inclusions such in this case, then during cristallization it will shrink, creating a tension of the first layer (already set) and making it crack. I would suggest to pour the second layer when the first one just started to cristallize (same viscosity as when you close easter eggs or when you score chocolate plaques with a knife) and to avoid refrigeration (quick cristallization = more tension).

Teo

Teo

Thanks, Teo, that sounds like good advice.  Luckily it is getting cooler so the chocolate will be happier setting at room temp, and I'll try not letting the first layer set fully.  I can use the cracked bars for samples at an event next month, so all is not lost.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd update on the bars.  I made all three of my bars with inclusions today - Dulcey with almonds, 72% with candied orange, and layers of both of those chocolates with cocoa nibs.  For the almond and orange bars, i did not let the first layer set, instead filled, dumped, added bits, filled and leveled.  the inclusions seemed to stay in the middle well enough, and i only lost one bar in unmolding out of 96 total.  With the two layer bar, I did let the white layer set first, as I had to re-temper the dark.  They held together fine for wrapping, but I suspect the layers will still try to separate on any that I cut into samples at an event this weekend.  Though as long as they get to the buyer in one piece I don't care what the samples look like.

Back at Easter I was making some pretty deep bunnies with whole hazelnut or rice krispies inclusions.  Both of those are hollow and tend to float, so I somehow assumed that all inclusions needed to be glued down.  Not letting the first layer set went a lot faster and worked better, so I'll be doing it that way from now on!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I am trying to figure out how to remake ganache out of fully molded chocolates where the shells cracked. Does anyone have a formula or recipe or idea? I hate wasting them. Also maybe a caramel recipe that uses old chocolates? Something else?

Your help is appreciated!

Shelley

I am trying to figure out how to remake ganache out of fully molded chocolates where the shells cracked. Does anyone have a formula or recipe or idea? I hate wasting them. Also maybe a caramel recipe that uses old chocolates? Something else?

Your help is appreciated!

Shelley

Hi Shelley,

I had this happen before.  In one instance, I just smashed up all the imperfect chocolates in a bowl; heated up my cream, and repeated the whole process of making a ganache. It was something simple, like chocolate-mint- so I might have added another dash of mint oil or Crème de Menthe. Not a lot, though. Then, I started over. 

In another instance, I just melted all the messed up ones, let them cool a bit, and used it as a filing between layers of a cake.  Made for a decadent dessert.  Depending on how thin you re-make it, you can drizzle it over ice cream, too. Or, pull out a spoon and have yourself a delicious breakfast. 

Using the ganache in a caramel recipe- I don't think I'd go there....  Unless you're layering the cooled caramel with the ganache to create a layered bon-bon of some sort, I'm not sure how else to incorporate the two successfully. I'm no expert, but I don't think the ganache could be mixed into the caramel while its in cooking mode, because the high heat would burn the heck out of the chocolate.   Depending on the ganache flavor (and texture) you're considering, you could try making some fancy candy bars. If you can source a good cookie element, layer with caramel, then ganache, then hand- dip or mold it, you may end up with a mighty fine creation!  

Uh oh.   Now, some pecan sandies layered in caramel and espresso ganache are peaking my interest......  Breakfast, anyone? :wink:

HTH...

Andrea

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

Thanks everyone, I had a long talk with Paul at Chef Rubber years ago where he talked about reworking chocolates into ganaches again and again for practice. I was having trouble with transfer sheets and wasting product. Never got his technique but I forgot about about the Black Devils. This could be the answer! WOO HOO!!

Shelley

• 2 weeks later...

I was trying to make little chocolates for my kid's star wars valentines, using Trader Joe's dark pound plus(54%). I just used some silicone ice cube molds, and the Han Solo ones turned out well, but the hearts were out of temper and all bloomed like crazy where they touched the mold. You can see a clear line on the side of the heart.  Is there some way I could try treating or prepping the mold?  Any other especially obvious things I did wrong?

chocolate question.jpg

Edited by cookingofjoy (log)

Might just be that the silicone in the hearts is insulating really well - so as the chocolate crystallizes and the latent heat of crystallization is given off that it's throwing the chocolate next to the silicone out of temper.

• Like 1

Thanks, Kerry and pastrygirl!  That is really helpful.  I was just starting to get interested in chocolate, and then got busy for a few years.  I've only tried tempering a few times, so I appreciate all the guidance!  I have a few polycarbonate molds that I'll have to try to get some practice. 

yeah, if those are solid chocolate, try putting them into the fridge for ~10 minutes straight after you put the chocolate into the mould. As for the line, make sure you tap the mould as well as you can (a bit tricky with silicone moulds) to release any air bubbles, which I guess is what those lines are.