• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Absurdly, stupidly basic cooking questions (Part 2)

Since acquiring a blast freezer I've been accumulating bags of vacuum sealed frozen fish -- steaks and fillets.  I'd like to grill some of these fish portions.  What is the best way to go about it?  Thaw first, or grill from frozen?  Or something else?

9 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Since acquiring a blast freezer I've been accumulating bags of vacuum sealed frozen fish -- steaks and fillets.  I'd like to grill some of these fish portions.  What is the best way to go about it?  Thaw first, or grill from frozen?  Or something else?

I think that depends on the type of fish and thickness. Thinner ones from frozen can yield a juicy nice result but steak style hhmmm - again depends on fish. For me sometimes thawing completely releases moisture more than I want so a "half-thaw" is better. As always - to taste.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

What kind of fish? Like @heidih said, it also depends on the thickness. Unless really thin, I don't think I'd cook from frozen. Also depends on your tolerance for raw or rare fish. For salmon or tuna (and maybe some other kinds of fish), I would prefer rare.

Not trying to be dense, but what exactly do you mean by "grill"?

31 minutes ago, MokaPot said:

What kind of fish? Like @heidih said, it also depends on the thickness. Unless really thin, I don't think I'd cook from frozen. Also depends on your tolerance for raw or rare fish. For salmon or tuna (and maybe some other kinds of fish), I would prefer rare.

Not trying to be dense, but what exactly do you mean by "grill"?

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/158072-philips-avance-grill/

Salmon, swordfish, bluefish, tuna.  How many millimeters is really thin?

I've had good luck with using James Beard's recipe for cooking fish. 10 minutes per inch thickness, double if frozen.400 degrees. 

I spray a cast iron pan down with oil, put the frozen filet on it, mist it with more oil, sprinkle thickly with seasoning (usually a blend from Penzey's)  and then shove it in the oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.  It's never failed me.  I will add that I cook fish for other people. I grew up inland and am a supertaster and just really don't like it much. 

• Like 2