• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Absurdly, stupidly basic cooking questions (Part 2)

Pontormo

Found this site that gives the ingredients of the chicken seasoning. There are all kinds of recipes for chicken seasoning on the internet so possibly you can find one that is similar and make your own seasoning just for this dish.

BTW, Jamaican pimento is Allspice.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I am making Cassoulet and have just put an All Clad Dutch oven in the oven with the lid on.

When do I take the lid off?

Immediately?

In an hour?

@weinoo @Duvel

Edited to add: the beans are just barely crunch, and all the meats are cooked (except the Ventrèche because I forgot). So this is just the end of the cook.

Edited by TdeV (log)

3 minutes ago, TdeV said:

I am making Cassoulet and have just put an All Clad Dutch oven in the oven with the lid on.

Immediately?

In an hour?

@weinoo @Duvel

Before adding the ingredients.

• Haha 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

And I took the lid OFF the Dutch oven after 75 minutes because there was no appreciable change to the surface of the Cassoulet (and I need it to melt and brown within a couple more hours!)

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Before adding the ingredients.

I'm glad there's another food humorist around here. I've often shared my recipe for gluten-free brownies, which includes the instruction, "Meanwhile, in a small bowl, gently beat the eggs together (take them out of the shells first)."

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

13 hours ago, TdeV said:

Immediately?

In an hour?

@weinoo @Duvel

Edited to add: the beans are just barely crunch, and all the meats are cooked (except the Ventrèche because I forgot). So this is just the end of the cook.

It depends a bit whether you are a believer in the sevenfold breaking and stirring in of the crust. If so, do it right away. If not, cook until almost tender, then remove and make a (dark) crust in the last 30 min or so. The second option will of course need significant less liquid, so be careful not to end up too "soupy" ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lindag said:

Is is worth it to seek out fresh bay leaves?

In my opinion, no.  The only time I purchased fresh bay leaves I doubt they were really Laurus nobilis.  In any event I was not pleased with the taste and I continue to use dried bay leaves.

• Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

36 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

In my opinion, no.  The only time I purchased fresh bay leaves I doubt they were really Laurus nobilis.  In any event I was not pleased with the taste and I continue to use dried bay leaves.

Yes the fresh commonly seen are oftn California. My mom;s friemd gave me some once from her tree/bush, used them ij spoaghetti sauce - something was off. If @lindag meant freshly dried as opposed to sitting poorly stored for years - do the deep smell test - you'll know if time to restock. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lindag said:

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'm pretty sure those fresh ones were California bay, a totally different animal.

I've been using this - it's really great...

image.png.167e86c6c5a9cfcd920ae8de92dee570.png

https://www.burlapandbarrel.com/collections/all/products/laurel-bay-leaves

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

3 hours ago, lindag said:

I bought some fresh ones when they were specifically called for in a recipe. I thought they tasted fine but not significantly different from the dried ones. I wanted to plant a tree when I had my lawn removed.  My landscape designer rolled her eyes and told me they get too big.  In reality, nothing I plant tends to get very big so I may look into it again!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I bought some fresh ones when they were specifically called for in a recipe. I thought they tasted fine but not significantly different from the dried ones. I wanted to plant a tree when I had my lawn removed.  My landscape designer rolled her eyes and told me they get too big.  In reality, nothing I plant tends to get very big so I may look into it again!

But it's a different flavor, and those BAY LAUREL trees in California get BIG!  Ask your designer if you can grow this Laurus nobilis.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

14 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

When I go to Indonesia in July I'm looking to bring back an Indonesian bay plant - it's a different plant to Turkish or CA. I love it and so many dishes need it. It also gets really big, but with pruning it'll be fine. Also if you keep it in a container it will limit how big it gets.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I'm pretty sure those fresh ones were California bay, a totally different animal.

I've been using this - it's really great...

image.png.167e86c6c5a9cfcd920ae8de92dee570.png

https://www.burlapandbarrel.com/collections/all/products/laurel-bay-leaves

Ground, huh? I was brought up to believe that the reason one used whole bay was so that one had to pluck it out of the finished dish, because to actually ingest bay would lead to . . .. issues. Obviously, it's not (entirely) true, but is there any basis at all for this?

• Like 2

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

3 minutes ago, Dave the Cook said:

Ground, huh? I was brought up to believe that the reason one used whole bay was so that one had to pluck it out of the finished dish, because to actually ingest bay would lead to . . .. issues. Obviously, it's not (entirely) true, but is there any basis at all for this?

I always thought it was because they posed a choking hazard and are quite unpleasant as they never soften much at all. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

32 minutes ago, Dave the Cook said:

29 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I always thought it was because they posed a choking hazard and are quite unpleasant as they never soften much at all. 

That. And...

But Apollo was relentless. He followed and chased her along the river banks, praising her beauty and growing in his lust. The more she spurned him, the more he wanted her. Exhausted and terrified, she finally called out in desperation to her father to protect her. In one story, her father, the River Peneus, hearing his daughter’s plea, transformed her into a Bay Laurel tree, so she could forever remain chaste and rest peacefully beside the river of her birth. In another version, Gaia heard her call and opened the earth to swallow her, placing a Bay Laurel tree in her stead.

https://atemplewild.com/journal/bay-laurel#myth

Or, this...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay_leaf

• California bay leaf. The leaf of the California bay tree (Umbellularia californica, Lauraceae), also known as California laurel, Oregon myrtle, and pepperwood, is similar to the Mediterranean bay laurel, but contains the toxin umbellulone which can cause methemoglobinemia.
  • Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

42 minutes ago, weinoo said:
  • California bay leaf. The leaf of the California bay tree (Umbellularia californica, Lauraceae), also known as California laurel, Oregon myrtle, and pepperwood, is similar to the Mediterranean bay laurel, but contains the toxin umbellulone which can cause methemoglobinemia.

I've sold them - tax free - considered a food item or like a betel leaf ;) 

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Sure, that's why you take them out. But then why not use the ground form to begin with?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

That. And...

Dude. My mother told me about bay leaves. I do not need the story to which you allude intertwined with thoughts  of my mother. 

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

California bay leaf. The leaf of the California bay tree (Umbellularia californica, Lauraceae), also known as California laurel, Oregon myrtle, and pepperwood, is similar to the Mediterranean bay laurel, but contains the toxin umbellulone which can cause methemoglobinemia.

This kind of makes sense. My mother would have gotten the bay leaf lore by way of her childhood cook/nanny, who, come to think of it, would have been a bit prone to believe in a tale that involved blue skin. And blood.

• Like 1

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

26 minutes ago, Dave the Cook said:

Sure, that's why you take them out. But then why not use the ground form to begin with?

I didn't think the question was why don't we use the ground version.  I thought the question was why do we take them out.

Edited by Anna N
Gobbledygook (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

13 hours ago, lindag said:

I have a tree or a tree with enough suckers that it looks like a bush and I'd say don't worry about it if you can get dried that aren't turned to a stale crisp. I think the flavour actually changes a bit when dried. I use both but mostly fresh just because I have them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.