• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Absurdly, stupidly basic cooking questions (Part 2)

Pontormo

Gabrielle Hamilton’s celery toasts

I have no way of checking to be sure that this is the exact recipe but I know it is close. 

Edited by Anna N
To correctly spell the chef’s name (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

I also like Kenta's idea...

Kombu Celery

Celery Victor...https://www.food.com/recipe/celery-victor-431040

And how would one make a Waldorf Salad without celery?  https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/waldorf_salad/

Another excellent winter salad, slightly Waldorfian, is simply apples, celery and walnuts. But no mayo, just a tangy dressing of olive oil, lemon, dijon mustard, a very cautious smidge of honey, and a little salt to taste. Ordinarily I stay clear of honey in dressing, but this works.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DianaB said:

Well that’s me educated for the day!  I had never heard of Cheez Whiz or “ants on a log” until I read your post, now, thanks to a quick search, my mind has been expanded!  

Not sure the “ants on a log” is the name for cheese whiz and celery. I always thought it was peanut butter on celery with raisins on top. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

16 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Gabrielle Hamilton’s celery toasts

I have no way of checking to be sure that this is the exact recipe but I know it is close. 

That's the one. It's a little fussbudget, but that's GH for you. And I don't know what planet her cambazola comes from, but mine isn't easily "sliced."  And she is also a fanatic about Pepperidge farm white bread, which must have been a staple when she was young. I'm less attached, and just use a any pullman like bread.

6 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Not sure the “ants on a log” is the name for cheese whiz and celery. I always thought it was peanut butter on celery with raisins on top. 

Wasn't there a thread once about three ingredients that were horrible together? Peanut butter, celery and raisins belongs there. Throw it into the compost pile and you will get ants on a log.

• Haha 1

I thought I knew the only person on the planet that dis-likes celery. Very good friends now but when we first had them over for a bbq brunch 20 years ago, I noticed he picked out the celery from potato salad. Hates celery. 

I've not been without in my lifetime. If one is missing in a grocery order, it is a backup as one is already in the crisper.

Loving the Kumbu recipe. Must make asap. But I use nori in my furikake. 

Might have been my first solid food. My mother kept celery, carrot spears, blanched brussels and broccoli, in a fridge jar of water with pickles and bit of pickle juice for me. I would dip in mustard. So she put some mustard in the jar.--dipping made a mess. 

I start the ends in water Jan/Feb every year. Plant in a deck pot with other herbs. Grows like parsley. Big leaves and thin stems but intensely flavored. 

Screen Shot 2022-08-25 at 10.15.19 AM.png

Edited by Annie_H (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Anna N said:

From my brief research there are very many variations of “ants on a log”,  according to one account the original involved celery, peanut butter and raisins but other recipes use cream cheese.  😁

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

I thought I knew the only person on the planet that dis-likes celery. Very good friends now but when we first had them over for a bbq brunch 20 years ago, I noticed he picked out the celery from potato salad. Hates celery. 

I've not been without in my lifetime. If one is missing in a grocery order, it is a backup as one is already in the crisper.

Loving the Kumbu recipe. Must make asap. But I use nori in my furikake. 

Might have been my first solid food. My mother kept celery, carrot spears, blanched brussels and broccoli, in a fridge jar of water with pickles and bit of pickle juice for me. I would dip in mustard. So she put some mustard in the jar.--dipping made a mess. 

I start the ends in water Jan/Feb every year. Plant in a deck pot with other herbs. Grows like parsley. Big leaves and thin stems but intensely flavored. 

Screen Shot 2022-08-25 at 10.15.19 AM.png

I know of a couple of folk who are allelrgic to celery.  Didn't know that was a thing.

6 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I only know Ants Climbing a Tree.

Ha ha. I think bits of ground meat make better ant representatives than raisins. It’s just a matter of scale. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

21 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I only know Ants Climbing a Tree.

13 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Ha ha. I think bits of ground meat make better ant representatives than raisins. It’s just a matter of scale. 

Ants Climbing a Tree is what I thought of also.    A favorite dish, while the concept of raisins + jarred cheese + celery eludes me.

eGullet member #80.

On 8/24/2022 at 3:32 AM, Susanwusan said:

Isn't there a way of telling which is the male or female fruit in order to get ones without seeds in?

there is no such thing as a male or female eggplant, or pepper, for that matter.

it is an invention of some totally ignorant-but-need-another-200-words-for-my-column writer that has morphed into urban legend.

the larger the eggplant, the more likely it will have an unpleasant seed cavity.

there are many botanical variations/hybrids of eggplant - so unless you wish to make a really deep dive into what-is-which,

buy small(er)

34 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

there is no such thing as a male or female eggplant, or pepper, for that matter.

it is an invention of some totally ignorant-but-need-another-200-words-for-my-column writer that has morphed into urban legend.

the larger the eggplant, the more likely it will have an unpleasant seed cavity.

there are many botanical variations/hybrids of eggplant - so unless you wish to make a really deep dive into what-is-which,

buy small(er)

I'm going to check out some fat bottomed ones, as per someone's Indian friend's advice.

6 minutes ago, Susanwusan said:

Regarding sandwiches, what do you understand by egg mayo, and egg and cress? 

I’ve never heard either phrase, in regards to sandwiches or otherwise. 
Edited to add that I’m aware that a “tuna mayo” sandwich is what I would call a tuna sandwich or tuna salad sandwich so I’d guess egg mayo might be something along those lines. Never heard of it though. Never heard anyone say tuna mayo either but have read of it in books and on the internet. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1

Egg mayonnaise sandwich filling is chopped, mashed or grated hard-boiled egg mixed with mayonnaise, it can be used as the protein component of a salad also, and sometimes even as a jacket topping (not so common though).  Readymade egg mayo is commonly found in UK supermarkets.

Then there is egg and cress - egg mayo with salad cress (really cress and mustard seedlings) mixed in.  I think there's a difference between egg mayo and egg-and-cress, and egg and cress shouldn't be labelled as simply egg mayo.

2 minutes ago, Susanwusan said:

Egg mayonnaise sandwich filling is chopped, mashed or grated hard-boiled egg mixed with mayonnaise, it can be used as the protein component of a salad also, and sometimes even as a jacket topping (not so common though).  Readymade egg mayo is commonly found in UK supermarkets.

Then there is egg and cress - egg mayo with salad cress (really cress and mustard seedlings) mixed in.  I think there's a difference between egg mayo and egg-and-cress, and egg and cress shouldn't be labelled as simply egg mayo.

If you had all this knowledge at your fingertips, what was the purpose in asking the question?

12 minutes ago, Susanwusan said:

and sometimes even as a jacket topping (not so common though)

Ok, now you made me Google “jacket topping” - eGullet endlessly enriches my vocabulary!

I should add that Google presented me with some recipes involving baked potatoes and quite a few places to shop for trendy sportswear so it was still up to me to figure out what you were talking about!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Haha 4

24 minutes ago, Susanwusan said:

So if you know the answer - why are you asking the question?

• Thanks 1

On 8/25/2022 at 11:37 AM, Annie_H said:

I cannot believe I got this old without learning you could do that with celery.  I am gobsmacked.

The celery leaves are my favorite part (better than parsley!), and market stalks are always naked of them now.  I can't wait to grow my own celery this winter with big leaves!  Many, many thanks, Annie_H.

• Like 2