• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Absurdly, stupidly basic cooking questions (Part 2)

Pontormo

39 minutes ago, weinoo said:

My guess is that he has one...see just to the right of the cutting board.

He doesn’t need one. A knife in that man’s hand is just an extension and he can make it dance. I find a peeler less satisfactory than a paring knife for dealing with broccoli stems. I think the biggest difference between the apparent ease with which he does it, aside of course from his brilliance, is the quality and freshness of the broccoli. Assistance seek out the best produce for him. I am usually stuck with the supermarket where the broccoli has been sitting around for some considerable time as evidenced by the condition. 

• Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

He doesn’t need one. A knife in that man’s hand is just an extension and he can make it dance. I find a peeler less satisfactory than a paring knife for dealing with broccoli stems. I think the biggest difference between the apparent ease with which he does it, aside of course from his brilliance, is the quality and freshness of the broccoli. Assistance seek out the best produce for him. I am usually stuck with the supermarket where the broccoli has been sitting around for some considerable time as evidenced by the condition. 

Watching the video of his peeling with a paring knife, It strikes me that he takes off a lot  more flesh than the peeler does.   

Broccoli was the only vegetable two grand-kids would eat.   One liked the head, another only the stems.    I peeled three years of broccoli stems.   Fortunately, their tastes have expanded.  

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

I find it helps to cut off a bit of the bottom of the broccoli stem, to get to a little juicIer/softer part, before  using my paring knife.

Yes. That is a good plan. And I do think that the stems tell you how much you need to remove in order not to end up with strings in your teeth! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

re: JP & Stem peeling :

he does seem to take off a little more 

w his technique .

Ill bet its much quicker and easier 

once you get the technique down pat.

using a peeler on a surface that's not completely smooth

is a challenge .

the knife // thumb less so .

im sure during JP's career speed mattered .

17 minutes ago, rotuts said:

ll bet its much quicker and easier 

once you get the technique down pat.

using a peeler on a surface that's not completely smooth

is a challenge .

It is - you just a little piece at the end with the paring knife, and it comes off quite easily.

I note that I have cut myself more often with the peeler than with a good, sharp knife.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 minute ago, weinoo said:

Strangely (or not), Jacques likes a peeler for peeling celery - though I prefer and use a paring knife. (Y'all peel celery, right?)

Definitely a peeler for celery. I think I was doing that before I even knew anything about Mr. Pepin. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

46 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I avoid peeling celery pre-onset :

i never buy it .  Id get the tops if they were available 

if you can find Chinese celery in your market you might give it a try.  https://www.melissas.com/products/chinese-celery  Or try some lovage on your windowsill  https://www.foodnetwork.com/healthyeats/in-season/2013/08/herb-of-the-month-lovage

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, heidih said:

if you can find Chinese celery in your market you might give it a try.  https://www.melissas.com/products/chinese-celery  Or try some lovage on your windowsill  https://www.foodnetwork.com/healthyeats/in-season/2013/08/herb-of-the-month-lovage

Lovage is great.  I used to have a bush of it growing in my back yard.

• Like 1

@heidih

fine tip . thank you .

I ued to frequent ChinaTown , the local

and later , a large Chinese supermarket 

Sundays AM .  they had taking then !

but never looked into Chinese celery.

Ill make a note .

thanks

• Like 1

4 hours ago, weinoo said:

Strangely (or not), Jacques likes a peeler for peeling celery - though I prefer and use a paring knife. (Y'all peel celery, right?)

Sometimes the inner stalks are tender enough and don't need stringing. For tougher stalks I find breaking a stalk gently in half gets exposes a lot of strings you can simply pull, so some of the work is done for you. I've always used a paring knife. It never occurred to me to use a peeler, but it's an interesting idea for outer stalks.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I guess I'm a weirdo.  I never peel celery.  I love the strings.  LOLOLOL

I never peel it for myself.  And never if it's being chopped for a salad, etc. but if I'm making a veggie platter with celery sticks to share with others, I do. 

1 hour ago, Katie Meadow said:

Sometimes the inner stalks are tender enough and don't need stringing. For tougher stalks I find breaking a stalk gently in half gets exposes a lot of strings you can simply pull, so some of the work is done for you. I've always used a paring knife. It never occurred to me to use a peeler, but it's an interesting idea for outer stalks.

I peel outer stalks and break in half as you do.   Last night I gave husband a plate of stuffed celery, having peeled and removed exposed strings.    He returned the plate with several long strings I obviously missed.  

• Haha 1

eGullet member #80.

2 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I peel outer stalks and break in half as you do.   Last night I gave husband a plate of stuffed celery, having peeled and removed exposed strings.    He returned the plate with several long strings I obviously missed.  

Maybe your husband could do the celery prep, Mine won't do it, claiming that he just can't find the strings! Since I'm the one who cares, I do it.

22 hours ago, weinoo said:

22 hours ago, rotuts said:

I avoid peeling celery pre-onset :

i never buy it .  Id get the tops if they were available 

Put me in the @rotuts camp. I buy it only when I'm cooking Cajun.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

My broccoli experiment was not a success.  Note that I am talking here of trying to turn the "branches" into something edible. I pulled out my Thermomix for this occasion as I decided to make soup.  In went shallots and garlic and after chopping them, in went some butter.  Cooked until soft.  Cut up the branches and added them to the pot along with some fresh basil and thyme and some dried sage, salt, pepper and chicken stock.  I must have cooked it for at least an hour.  Blended everything and tried to strain it through a fine mesh strainer.  When that didn't work, transferred it to a not-so-fine strainer.  That didn't work either.  Sigh.  The lot was binned and  the "branches" from the second broccoli are about to land in the same place.  The stem I'll keep and cook up with the broccoli.  I know that works.

• Sad 2

49 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Note that I am talking here of trying to turn the "branches" into something edible.

I don’t think I understood at any point previous to this that you were contemplating cooking the branches as you call them. I don’t think there is much you can do with these unless you have the patience to peel each one which is really challenging. Watching the video upthread even M. Pépin appears to discard them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

48 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I don’t think I understood at any point previous to this that you were contemplating cooking the branches as you call them. I don’t think there is much you can do with these unless you have the patience to peel each one which is really challenging. Watching the video upthread even M. Pépin appears to discard them. 

I did watch the video but that part escaped me.  I started peeling them but them decided I'd just put them in the pot unpeeled and then sieve the tough bits out.  As noted, that did not work out.  Now I'm working on a carrot thyme soup.  I am determined to have some soup!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2