• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Absurdly, stupidly basic cooking questions (Part 2)

Pontormo

most cornbreads are quick breads; imo the dish it's cooked in has more to do with what form factor you want than really affecting the bake (doing it in a hot cast iron with melted butter gives a nice crunchy crust, though). i often use mix-ins when i want something different (i make a lot of cornbread). i like adding jalapenos to a slightly sweeter cornbread, mostly because i really enjoy the combo of sweet+hot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Our local food store sells a jalapeño corn bread.

If your heart is set on cornbread then this will not be of value to you. When the borders were open and I could travel I would often pick up a loaf of jalapeño cheese bread from Wegmans for my son-in-law.  I then began simply adding chopped, pickled jalapeños to my own cheese bread recipe. I’m not suggesting it’s the same as cornbread but is very good and just another alternate way of incorporating jalapeños into bread. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

If your heart is set on cornbread then this will not be of value to you. When the borders were open and I could travel I would often pick up a loaf of jalapeño cheese bread from Wegmans for my son-in-law.  I then began simply adding chopped, pickled jalapeños to my own cheese bread recipe. I’m not suggesting it’s the same as cornbread but is very good and just another alternate way of incorporating jalapeños into bread. 

oh man i love jalapeno cheese bread. definitely it's own thing but totally good

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I made mayonnaise this afternoon; it's better than the last time I tried to make it, but still a bit wonky. I told DH he had to use it up! 🤣

But, I decided late that I wanted to make mayonnaise, and so I fussed all afternoon because the egg was cold for a very long time.

So, in future, can I take an egg out of the fridge and leave it on the counter for 24 hours?

20 minutes ago, TdeV said:

So, in future, can I take an egg out of the fridge and leave it on the counter for 24 hours?

You could but it isn’t really necessary. Two minute mayonnaise.

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

29 minutes ago, TdeV said:

I made mayonnaise this afternoon; it's better than the last time I tried to make it, but still a bit wonky. I told DH he had to use it up! 🤣

But, I decided late that I wanted to make mayonnaise, and so I fussed all afternoon because the egg was cold for a very long time.

Grocery stores here don't refrigerate eggs and we just keep them on the counter at home. Fridge space is too precious. I have heard that there is some difference if they are washed or not but the eggs here seem like they might be cleaned since even the free-range ones in the grocery store don't have any muck on them.

• Thanks 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

51 minutes ago, TdeV said:

19 minutes ago, haresfur said:

I have heard that there is some difference if they are washed or not but the eggs here seem like they might be cleaned since even the free-range ones in the grocery store don't have any muck on them.

In the United States, the eggs are washed, which washes away the protective coating, before selling  the eggs in stores. If you're in the U.S., your egg needs to be refrigerated.

edited to add: If you're saying you've taken the egg out of the refrigerator and it's still too cold after 2 hours, have you tried cracking the egg into a small bowl/dish and let that sit out? Two hours would be the food-safety maximum. But I would think the bowl would, through heat exchange, bring the temperature of the egg up to a useable degree.

Edited by Toliver (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I've used the two-minute method for years and it never fails me. But not everyone has an immersion blender. The matter of the room temperature Egg couldn't be simpler. Just said put them in warm water for about 20 minutes and you have room temperature eggs.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

An absurdly stupid question about this display of fully cooked packaged bacon:

65695922_BaconcookeddisplayF.jpg.0e4a63a098b92720e318539708bc60fd.jpg

Why aren't these packages being refrigerated?

I took this photo at a local VONS grocery store and have seen the same sort of non-refrigerated display of fully cooked bacon at the local Walmart Grocery store.

Just because they're boxes of fully cooked bacon doesn't mean they can just sit on a store shelf at room temperature, can it?

It's cooked bacon.

Won't it go bad without being refrigerated?

It's not like the bacon is hermetically sealed inside either, or vacuum-packed. I've seen my sister-in-law open a package of Oscar Meyer Fully Cooked Bacon and the bacon isn't in air-tight packaging.

What's going on here?

• Confused 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

well

TJ's has shelf stable fully cooked

dahl and the like

vac packed shelf stable tortellini 

and olives w herbs.

I think Radiation might be involved.

or what ever else gets the few items ive seen

TJ's

( I dont get out that much these days )

its all Delicious Food for Bugs 

• Confused 1

I tried one of the shelf stable tortellini a while back

you did need to cook it

but w the right Amendments

similar to the refrigerated items

it was fine

cooking time might have been different.

not the same of course

from a tortellini meal

made in a small , pleasant town in Italy

near the Coast

w  gentle Sea Breeze

the you could walk to 

none near me , so there it is.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Toliver said:

An absurdly stupid question about this display of fully cooked packaged bacon:

65695922_BaconcookeddisplayF.jpg.0e4a63a098b92720e318539708bc60fd.jpg

Why aren't these packages being refrigerated?

I took this photo at a local VONS grocery store and have seen the same sort of non-refrigerated display of fully cooked bacon at the local Walmart Grocery store.

Just because they're boxes of fully cooked bacon doesn't mean they can just sit on a store shelf at room temperature, can it?

It's cooked bacon.

Won't it go bad without being refrigerated?

It's not like the bacon is hermetically sealed inside either, or vacuum-packed. I've seen my sister-in-law open a package of Oscar Meyer Fully Cooked Bacon and the bacon isn't in air-tight packaging.

What's going on here?

From USDA website:

To make bacon safe to store at room temperature (shelf stable), it is precooked in the plant to have a water activity at or below 0.85 to control Staphylococcus aureus. The cooked yield is 40% of the raw weight.

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/food-safety/safe-food-handling-and-preparation/meat/bacon-and-food-safety

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

From USDA website:

To make bacon safe to store at room temperature (shelf stable), it is precooked in the plant to have a water activity at or below 0.85 to control Staphylococcus aureus. The cooked yield is 40% of the raw weight.

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/food-safety/safe-food-handling-and-preparation/meat/bacon-and-food-safety

Who ever wrote the header for that USDA link is clearly a foodie!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Who ever wrote the header for that USDA link is clearly a foodie!

Who knew that the USDA could wax poetic? Wow!

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

On 3/20/2021 at 10:59 AM, Toliver said:

In the United States, the eggs are washed, which washes away the protective coating, before selling  the eggs in stores. If you're in the U.S., your egg needs to be refrigerated.

edited to add: If you're saying you've taken the egg out of the refrigerator and it's still too cold after 2 hours, have you tried cracking the egg into a small bowl/dish and let that sit out? Two hours would be the food-safety maximum. But I would think the bowl would, through heat exchange, bring the temperature of the egg up to a useable degree.

I'm saying that eggs here certainly seem washed and they aren't refrigerated in stores or usually in people's homes. So maybe the washed vs unwashed thing is a myth and Americans are overly cautious.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

hardly a myth thing.

the chicken puts a coating on the outside of the shell - called the cuticle.

the process of washing/rinsing/inspection washes that away.

leaving the shell 'porous' whereby in theory bacteria can get thru the shell.

some producers re-coat the egg with mineral oil.

the problem is that USA does not require laying hens be vaccinated against salmonella.

many other countries do.

but our government prefers to make the most stupid decisions possible - and require refrigeration from chicken to pan.

economically it is way seriously less expensive to vaccinate the hen than run all those refrigeration units - but heh, USA is energy independent, right?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, TdeV said:

How does one make sure that scallops have had all the grit removed (before grilling)???

Scallops?!  At least in the US generally they are shelled at sea and rinsed so by sale they are baby clean. Mussels and clams different process. What have you experienced grit wise? I love them and have never experienced grit.

56 minutes ago, TdeV said:

These weren't. Not the first time. Don't remember if they came from the same place as I last noticed the grit. :(

Seldom I treat myself to scallops but I never remember grit from scallops.  I was about to ask of grit in clams.  I have two dozen littlenecks in the refrigerator.  The last batch I got from Citarella were a little sandy.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

10 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Seldom I treat myself to scallops but I never remember grit from scallops. 

Cannot get my head around gritty scallops. 

My 2004 eG Blog

Scallops - rinse them off once out of the shell.

clams - I like to soak in a bowl of cold, sea-salted water barely to cover, for an hour or two.  Some use cornmeal. 

I once shucked 240 diver scallops for an event. You wouldn’t believe the stuff inside the shells. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

16 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I once shucked 240 diver scallops for an event. You wouldn’t believe the stuff inside the shells. 

Never been quite so lucky as to have scallops that fresh! Guess we need to know more about the source of @TdeV scallops. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

This was my prep station...

IMG_0005_01.thumb.JPG.bc0041ed98746c78057fc515cb4f2af4.JPG

Downstairs at Aquavit (the groundbreaking Nordic restaurant here in NYC), at the time helmed by the great chef Marcus Jernmark, currently of Frantzén in Stockholm.  See all those little anchovy like fish at the bottom left? They were the least of what was inside these day-boat diver scallops, dived off the coast of Maine. There were also all sorts of little crabs, so a little grit was par for the course.

They got rinsed.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I don't know if this query is absurdly, stupidly basic; but I am embarrassed about the lapse which is reflected in my having to ask.

How long can I keep un-rendered beef fat (suet) in the refrigerator.  It was previously frozen, but I did not have room to put it into my freezer with the actual beef.  I haven't gotten around to dealing with the rendering, and it's been exactly two weeks. 

Toss??? 

Edited by SLB (log)