• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Absurdly, stupidly basic cooking questions (Part 2)

Pontormo

What does (SQ) mean in a list of recipe ingredients?

I am looking at the big Alain Ducasse dessert cookbook, and while for most of the items, a weight or amount is listed, there will occasionally be the note (SQ). For example, in a recipe for Szechwan Pepper Creme Brulee, there are the quantities for milk, cream, egg yolks, etc. But the last item is "Szechwan Pepper (SQ)." If I had to guess, it would be "to taste," but I was wondering if someone actually knew.

Thanks.

SQ or QS means 'quantity sufficient' ie enough. So in this case as you say - to taste.

Why don't they make non-stick sealed cooktops? They'd be so much easier to clean.

The PTFE (teflon) in non-stick coatings breaks down under high heat plus it's susceptible to mechanical damage, so it probably wouldn't last long. Plus super-heated teflon releases stuff into the air that you're probably better off not breathing.

"High heat" as in what we're cooking with? So you're saying it breaks down in our pots and pans, as well, using this same heat to cook with.

What about an anodized coated stove top? Is that any better?

Sorry, I hadn't seen this thread for a couple of weeks.

Yes, the teflon coating on pans breaks down under heat as well, which is why they caution not to heat them dry or use them in a very hot oven. I think the threshold temp is something like 450-500F, so it's pretty safe for most cooking but not good for very high-temp applications like searing and broiling.

I don't really know much about anodized coatings. I recall a thread here once about Calphalon One "infused" anodized pans that totally lost the finish when used to braise something in an acidic sauce.

I don't really have a cleaning problem with the enamel finish on my cooktop, though, except for the gunk that gets cooked onto the catch trays under the burners. That's basically like the "seasoning" on cast-iron and almost impervious.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Canned beans (of the previously dried variety). Does a serving size include the liquid? How does one calculate the amount of dried beans to equate a cup of them when they are cooked?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I've been reading a lot of baking recipes lately where it calls for a stick (4 oz.) of unsalted butter and also a 1/4 teapoon of salt.

A stick of regular (salted) butter is 4 oz. of unsalted butter with a 1/4 teaspoon of salt added.

So if you're going to add the salt anyways, why not just use regular (salted) butter?

There has been an eGullet discussion in the past where some have said that unsalted butter is considered fresher than salted butter (the salt in the butter acting as a preservative so that the salted butter can stay on the store shelf for a longer period of time). But in a well patronized grocery store in a large city, I don't think lack of product turnover really becomes an issue.

I've also heard the argument that it's better if you control the salt. But a 1/4 teaspoon is a 1/4 teaspoon, whether I add it or the manufacturer adds it to the butter.

So why make that trip to the grocery store to buy unsalted butter when the recipe math says that the salted butter I have on hand will suffice?

Talk to me.

Just skimming this thread and wanted to add something I heard from a butter producer a while back. Among the other reasons stated she said that higher quality, and fresher cream is required to make unsalted butter (that tastes good) even though they will both end up graded the same. There is no salt to help boos the flavor.

Jeff

So, why is it called "corned" beef? Where's the corn? Seriously.

Someone explained it here once before but, um... I forget.

Thanks.

"Corning" is the process in which it is salted. the seasoning remined the sailors of the corn they had seen. It was about the same size so they named it by association.

OK - I have one. How do I roast garlic resulting in sweet, caramelized garlic? Everything I have tried, fiddling with temperatures and times, results in the same bitter garlic that I often come across in restaurants. I know there's a chemical change that turns it bitter - how do I avoid this?

Do you have a gas stove? Some aluminum foil? All I do is cut the end of the grlic off, rub with olive/pomice oil and season with s&p. The wrap loosly in aluminum foil and stick directly over the flame. I don't know how long it takes I go by instinct and smell. But, it should be soft, almost mushy to the touch and an amber-brown. Good Luck! AND USE TONGS!

I expect to see dissertations.......the number of correct answers to your question

are many. :laugh:

One tablespoonful is 15cc and 1 1/2 tablespoonful is one tablespoonful plus 1/2 tablespoonful (15+7.5=22.5cc)

One teaspoonful is 5cc

Therefore 1 1/2 tablespoonful is not one tablespoonful (15cc) and 1/2 teaspoonful (2.5cc) or 15+2.5 = 17.5cc

For practical purpose remember 1 tablespoonful (15cc) is equal to 3 teaspoonful 2x5=15cc)

Canned beans (of the previously dried variety).  Does a serving size include the liquid?  How does one calculate the amount of dried beans to equate a cup of them when they are cooked?

Based on this website, it seems that 1 cup of dried beans would give you between 2-2.5 cups of cooked beans.

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

Last weekend I tried to make a batch of slow-cooker caramelized onions. I looked up a ton of recipes that made it seem like the easiest thing possible, and was excited to have some around to boost other recipes.

On Friday around noon I sliced 3 punds of yellow onions, tossed them with olive oil and a little salt and put them in the slow-cooker on low. They were still pale and wimpy when I went to bed at 9 that night, so I left them on overnight. Saturday when I left the house at 5 am, they were just barely brown - more beige - and wet, so I boosted the heat to high. I had asked family members to turn them off, but no one did, so when I got home a little before 11 that night, they were still on. Darker, but not really caramelized and water-logged. Unwilling to spend any more electricity on them, I called it quits.

I've used them a couple of times since, and they're fine. Still kind of onion-y (you know what I mean? they still have a bit of bite) and not caramel-y, not very sweet. I also have to give them some time sauteeing to make them the right consistency. Should I leave out the salt next time? Maybe add a sprinkle of sugar? Set it on high from the get-go?

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

Are they always covered? That may be the culprit...

They were most of the time. I had them uncovered for a couple of hours on Friday evening, but didn't want to leave them that way when no one was home.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

Last weekend I tried to make a batch of slow-cooker caramelized onions...

On Friday around noon I sliced 3 punds of yellow onions, tossed them with olive oil and a little salt and put them in the slow-cooker on low. They were still pale and wimpy when I went to bed at 9 that night, so I left them on overnight. Saturday when I left the house at 5 am, they were just barely brown - more beige - and wet, so I boosted the heat to high. I had asked family members to turn them off, but no one did, so when I got home a little before 11 that night, they were still on. Darker, but not really caramelized and water-logged. Unwilling to spend any more electricity on them, I called it quits.

Hmm... my experience exactly. maybe it's a Friday thing. :laugh:

Finally chucked mine into a dutch oven and cooked them down on the stovetop.

Oh, and I did add sugar, didn't seem to help that much...

Will have to try again....

According to this website, carmelization occurs at 338 deg F. Does a slow cooker get hot enough to accomplish this? And I'm sure the temperature achieved by setting the cooker on "HIGH" probably differs between models and manufacturers.

I was wondering the same thing, whenever I caramelize onions for French onion soup I always use an electric skillet and they normally set it at 350 to get the onions to caramelize correctly. And I don't think most slow cookers get that hot.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

According to this website, carmelization occurs at 338 deg F. Does a slow cooker get hot enough to accomplish this? And I'm sure the temperature achieved by setting the cooker on "HIGH" probably differs between models and manufacturers.

I was wondering the same thing, whenever I caramelize onions for French onion soup I always use an electric skillet and they normally set it at 350 to get the onions to caramelize correctly. And I don't think most slow cookers get that hot.

When I carmelize onions, say for Onion soup, and I am looking for sweet, delicate, and soft not slimy onions, I use a large stockpot or rondoe. First I turn up the heat in an empty pan until the air in the pan feels like about 200 degrees (or count one, two and you have to move your hand before two) add butter and oil to melt/ coat bottom of pan- if its 3# as mentioned before you'll need about 3T butter and 4T pomice or canola oil (depends on the size of your heavy-bottomed cooking vessel). Wait until the butter is competly melted and add thinly sliced onions (I cut mine 3cm with a mandoline). reduce heat to low. stir every 60-90 seconds. Season as you go along with S&P. I add a boquet garnet if adding to soups or poltry dishes. This process should take 45-75 minutes. It is worth your time and pateince. If adding to brown stock soups, I deglaze the pot with dry redwine or congac (sometimes both). If a main focus under a protein I deglaze with stock that is matching and appropriate to that protein (IE: Chicken, chicken stock- lamb, lamb stock- Beef, veal stock). I hope this helps!

If you go over to the Onion Confit topic, there's more than you'd ever want to know.  And, yes, the lid on was probably the culprit.

The Onion Confit is fantastic, and thanks to that, I'm completely addicted to the stuff. Anyways, I make it on a regular basis in a slow cooker, and yeah, it takes a loooong time for it to get just right, usually 12 hrs minimum in my slow cooker. My problem in the beginning was a lot of liquid coming from the onions, so I saute them on the stove now to get as much liquid out as possible. Set it on high for a couple hours, then down to low for a bunch of hours. Back on high near then end, and I crack the lid open to evaporate some more. I also cheat with brown sugar, dash of soy, and a little balsamic....

• 2 months later...

what would be the best way to reheat roast turkey... 50 lbs of it? i.e., I am roasting 9, x 13 lb, turkeys, then carving & chilling, to be served the day after. The sliced meat will be in 4 hotel pans, because that's all the space I have in the oven.

Recommendations, please?

Karen Dar Woon

add about an inch of low sodium broth and cover Tightly with foil

Tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

• 1 month later...
The expiration date on my buttermilk is April 15th.  Is it still good to bake with?

I want to make a black magic cake.  I often use buttermilk a week after expiration, but not almost a month. 

It does smell kinda funny.

If it smells fine I use it - funny I don't!

Buttermilk keeps quite a long time and a month after the sell-by date is usually fine as long as there is no evidence of mold.

For future reference, buttermilk freezes beautifully. Since most recipes require a cup, I freeze it in one cup containers and bag the small containers in a ziplock bag - in freezer up to a year.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett