• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Absurdly, stupidly basic cooking questions (Part 2)

Pontormo

Ummm, can I use frozen bread to make 'fresh' bread crumbs? :huh:

I have no idea why I'm lurking in this thread today... I'm sure I should be writing my dissertation or some nonsense...

Yes, definitely. The difference between "fresh" and "not-fresh" when it comes to breadcrumbs is whether the bread has been dried or not. Fresh breadcrumbs have a much higher moisture content, so absorb less oil, etc. Frozen bread should work fine, though for whatever reason I generally thaw it first. Probably not actually necessary...

Thanks Chris. And here's another dumb question: other than making bread crumbs or croutons, what the heck else can I do with frozen leftover bread? We never eat a whole baguette between the two of us, and I usually end up composting the stale leftovers - whatever they say, bread bags suck! - or throwing it in the freezer waiting for a good idea about what to do with it. And its usually making more dang croutons. :sad:

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

Thanks Chris.  And here's another dumb question: other than making bread crumbs or croutons, what the heck else can I do with frozen leftover bread?  We never eat a whole baguette between the two of us, and I usually end up composting the stale leftovers - whatever they say, bread bags suck! - or throwing it in the freezer waiting for a good idea about what to do with it.  And its usually making more dang croutons.  :sad:

I don't understand, what is this "leftover bread" phenomenon you refer to? :biggrin: Isn't that what cheese is for? :raz: Can't really help with this one... bread pudding? Poultry stuffing?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I can't fry a sunny side up egg to save my life.

Are you having trouble with the yolk leaking, or with getting the white to set? Or something else?

I can never get the last stranghold of white around the yolk to set without cooking the whole thing to death or going over easy. I've tried water instead of oil, spooning hot oil onto the egg (this kinda worked but the egg was soooo greasy and nasty), tight lid, no lids. I just can't get the hang of it.

This probably isn't proper, but I crack an egg into a medium heat, slightly oiled nonstick pan. Then, I just take my spatula and poke around/scoot the chalazae (the part that usually ends up as "egg snot") so that it is exposed to the pan's surface- it cooks to the same texture as the rest of the white. Finally, to warm the yolk through and keep the whites from toughening, I shut off the heat, cover the pan and let a few minutes of carryover cooking work its magic.

Oh, and leftover bread- a lot of times, those frozen stale pieces make for great binder after pouring a little milk/stock over, letting it thaw a little and mushing up. Great for meatballs, meatloaf, fish cakes, etc.

Ummm, can I use frozen bread to make 'fresh' bread crumbs? :huh:

I have no idea why I'm lurking in this thread today... I'm sure I should be writing my dissertation or some nonsense...

Yes, definitely. The difference between "fresh" and "not-fresh" when it comes to breadcrumbs is whether the bread has been dried or not. Fresh breadcrumbs have a much higher moisture content, so absorb less oil, etc. Frozen bread should work fine, though for whatever reason I generally thaw it first. Probably not actually necessary...

Thanks Chris. And here's another dumb question: other than making bread crumbs or croutons, what the heck else can I do with frozen leftover bread? We never eat a whole baguette between the two of us, and I usually end up composting the stale leftovers - whatever they say, bread bags suck! - or throwing it in the freezer waiting for a good idea about what to do with it. And its usually making more dang croutons. :sad:

French toast! Egg, milk, maybe a bit of vanilla extract, soak slices and pan fry in butter. Yummy! Real maple syrup or honey; bacon on the side... :wub:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Re: salting pasta cooking water, I actually add a lot of salt, probably on the order of 1 tablespoon of regular table salt per quart of water, although I don't measure it. Remember that no matter how much salt is in the water, most of it will end up going down the drain. I've found that if you sample it right out of the water with no sauce or anything, it can taste pretty salty, but once drained and residual moisture has been absorbed, it just tastes nicely seasoned. YMMV, of course.

French toast! Egg, milk, maybe  a bit of vanilla extract, soak slices and pan fry in butter. Yummy! Real maple syrup or honey; bacon on the side... :wub:

i agree!! (french toast being my all-time favorite breakfast). even more decadent: replace some portion (larger is more decadent) of the milk with CREAM. omg it's heaven. (cooked in cast iron, of course....)

French toast! Egg, milk, maybe  a bit of vanilla extract, soak slices and pan fry in butter. Yummy! Real maple syrup or honey; bacon on the side... :wub:

i agree!! (french toast being my all-time favorite breakfast). even more decadent: replace some portion (larger is more decadent) of the milk with CREAM. omg it's heaven. (cooked in cast iron, of course....)

Yay! A great idea, thanks! As is using it for stuffing, but I don't make bread stuffing so much anymore - my husband prefers my mushroom stuffing, the ingrate. :wink:

Re: adding salt to pasta water - Why should you wait to add it just before the water boils? I've always added it at the beginning . . . .

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

And here's another dumb question: other than making bread crumbs or croutons, what the heck else can I do with frozen leftover bread? 

Panzanella (bread salad) or riboletta (bread soup) are also way yummy. The Panaznella uses croutons that are mixed with veggies & herbs (think tomatoes, olives, cucumbers, onions, etc. and basil, parsley, garlic......) and a vinaigrette dressing.........OH, with anchovies........the BEST summer meal ever. EVER.

Riboletta is a similar concept, you take stale bread, and cook it down in a stock with some veg and some cheese. And there's always bread pudding, which can actually also be savory. I have on my agenda for next week a fennel, Italian sausage and sourdough bread pudding. Sounds very interesting....

And as to salting pasta water, I've heard that the water should be salty like the sea before you add the pasta, so you should add lots. A tablespoon per quart actually sounds about right.

Edit--because "the" does not have a "Y" in it, at least not in the English language.

Edited by Pierogi (log)

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

.... or French onion soup, or French anything, really. Check out any bistro cookbook. The French could feed the whole nation with stale bread.

Notes from the underbelly

....what the heck else can I do with frozen leftover bread? 

Bread pudding is another good use for leftover bread.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I can't fry a sunny side up egg to save my life.

Are you having trouble with the yolk leaking, or with getting the white to set? Or something else?

I can never get the last stranghold of white around the yolk to set without cooking the whole thing to death or going over easy. I've tried water instead of oil, spooning hot oil onto the egg (this kinda worked but the egg was soooo greasy and nasty), tight lid, no lids. I just can't get the hang of it.

I'm sure all the pro chefs out there will cringe, but my solution is to make the eggs in a pan with a good lid, and to pour in a few tablespoons of water next to the egg right before putting the lid on. This causes the white on top to steam, rather than forcing it to be cooked by the heat from below. I find that it works very well, though maybe I prefer my whites cooked a bit less than you.

Very good advice and very similar to how I make them.

I learned from a short-order cook who cooked SSU eggs on a flat griddle beautifully, whether one, two or three at a time. He used the clear glass Pyrex domed lids, and just a few drops of water.

The lids contained the spread of the whites so when one ordered the "Lumberjack" breakfast with three eggs, one would have almost a perfect circle of eggs served on the platter.

When I prepare them, I use a large skillet or a griddle so the Pyrex lid will fit snugly on the flat bottom of the skillet or griddle. They cook rapidly with the white completely done and the yolk still runny.

They turn out similar to "basted" eggs but with much less fat needed.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

....what the heck else can I do with frozen leftover bread? 

Bread pudding is another good use for leftover bread.

And don't forget "strata" or savory bread puddings, "Pain Perdue," etc.

One of the Lenten meals I recall fondly from my childhood and prepare at any time of the year is:

Homemade noodles tossed with a lot of buttered, toasted bread crumbs. This is not just a topping, the bread crumbs become part of the dish. Topped with stewed dried fruits (plums or prunes, apricots, etc.,) this makes a very filling and tasty meal.

The butter in which the bread crumbs are toasted can be flavored with any kind of herb or spice you may enjoy to give a more complex flavor. Make it to your taste. I have used curry spices, paprika, herbs de Provénce, etc.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Re: adding salt to pasta water - Why should you wait to add it just before the water boils?  I've always added it at the beginning . . . .

I think the main reason is that the extremely high concentrations at the bottom of the pot before the salt has fully dissolved can cause some surface pitting on the stockpot, which might degrade performance for certain uses. I don't worry about it, personally, because I buy cheap stockpots.

Re: adding salt to pasta water - Why should you wait to add it just before the water boils?  I've always added it at the beginning . . . .

I think the main reason is that the extremely high concentrations at the bottom of the pot before the salt has fully dissolved can cause some surface pitting on the stockpot, which might degrade performance for certain uses. I don't worry about it, personally, because I buy cheap stockpots.

That makes sense. Thanks. Most people tell me not to rinse pasta after cooking, as the starch helps the sauce cling better. When - if ever- should you rinse your cooked pasta?

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

And since I am loving a thread devoted to stupid questions, here's another: if I buy a cooked ham, I just need to add a glaze of some sort and heat it through, yes? When one buys a ham, does it usually have the bone in? What different kinds of hams and flavour profiles are there? I've never bought or served one before, but love a 'real' Easter ham.

My next stupid question: what is the best way to cook asparagus, if offering as a side dish? I usually pan-sautee them with olive oil and cracked pepper, but wonder if poaching isn't a better service to the vegetable?

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

And since I am loving a thread devoted to stupid questions, here's another: if I buy a cooked ham, I just need to add a glaze of some sort and heat it through, yes?  When one buys a ham, does it usually have the bone in?  What different kinds of hams and flavour profiles are there?  I've never bought or served one before, but love a 'real' Easter ham.

My next stupid question: what is the best way to cook asparagus, if offering as a side dish?  I usually pan-sautee them with olive oil and cracked pepper, but wonder if poaching isn't a better service to the vegetable?

Honestly, i like to microwave them, with butter and a bit of lemon juice. They stay the perfect blend of tender and crunchy, and I don't get the stinky problem nearly as bad! :shock::raz:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

My next stupid question: what is the best way to cook asparagus, if offering as a side dish?  I usually pan-sautee them with olive oil and cracked pepper, but wonder if poaching isn't a better service to the vegetable?

Blanch them, shock, and saute them in garlic & butter + oil.

I find asparagus is much better you keep it away from water in the cooking process. How I cook it partially depends on how big (diameter) it is. The small very young asparagus I just sauté in butter and olive oil and then add a little salt and pepper at the end. For larger stalks I steam a little prior to sautéing them. No matter what don't overcook asparagus!

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

And since I am loving a thread devoted to stupid questions, here's another: if I buy a cooked ham, I just need to add a glaze of some sort and heat it through, yes?  When one buys a ham, does it usually have the bone in?  What different kinds of hams and flavour profiles are there?  I've never bought or served one before, but love a 'real' Easter ham.

Oven roasted is also a good option. I like put them on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and toss. Salt and pepper and sprinkle parmesan or pecorino. See here..

I find asparagus is much better you keep it away from water in the cooking process. How I cook it partially depends on how big (diameter) it is. The small very young asparagus I just sauté in butter and olive oil and then add a little salt and pepper at the end. For larger stalks I steam a little prior to sautéing them. No matter what don't overcook asparagus!

Curious: why do you recommend avoiding any water in the cooking process? The reason I asked about poaching asparagus is that my mum often microwaves the stalks in a shallow dish of water.

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

Yes, that's right: a cooked ham is, by definition, fully cooked, so just heat and serve. You can get them bone-in or bone-out. I prefer to buy them bone in, spiral sliced. The bone can be used to flavor soups, etc. and is really tasty. The flavor profile of this type of ham varies significantly from producer to producer, but in general the main flavor is of the curing salts (nitrate/nitrite) and smoke (depends on the wood type used). Depending on the pig and curing procedure, you may also get a nice pork flavor, brown sugar or maple syrup flavor, etc. Then, there are country hams... takes ham to a whole 'nother level.

Re: asparagus. I do it just the way you described doing it, a simple saute in butter or olive oil, sprinkling of salt and black pepper, and maybe a squeeze of lemon juice at the end. Also makes a delightful omelette filling when coarsely chopped.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Salted water has a higher boiling point than unsalted water. Some people believe the water takes longer to boil if you salt it so adding it just before the boil (or just after) would make sense, if you believe that.

However, an SSB (Smug Scientific Bastard :laugh: ) posted in another discussion that the difference between the boiling points of salted versus unsalted water is negligible so it doesn't really matter when you add the salt.

Do what you want. It's your kitchen. :wink:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver