• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Absurdly, stupidly basic cooking questions (Part 2)

Pontormo

see this entry in wikipedia.

there are cultures that use other animals for milk. i think it comes down to convenience and the fact that the animals that are more commonly used for milk produce enough on a daily basis to be commercially viable.

it is likely that horses, donkeys, etc. don't produce enough milk...they don't have udders (?)...to make it practical.

please don't laugh

Why is milk/cheese only from cows, sheep, goats, and water buffalos? 

Why not horse milk, llama cheese, camel cheese, etc?

I'm guessing milking an omnivore/carnivore would make funning tasting milk...or would it?  Bacony flavored cheese anyone?

If I made anyone vomit, sorry

please don't laugh

Why is milk/cheese only from cows, sheep, goats, and water buffalos? 

Why not horse milk, llama cheese, camel cheese, etc?

I'm guessing milking an omnivore/carnivore would make funning tasting milk...or would it?  Bacony flavored cheese anyone?

If I made anyone vomit, sorry

Well, llamas, camels, horses etc are all herbivores, so don't meet

your carni / omnivore hypothesis....

Camel's milk is used in those communities who have lots of camels.

Same for mare's milk in Mongolia,

Yak milk in the high Himalayas,

most if not all of these are used as milk and other milk products

(fermented, cultured, drink-like or cheese-like, etc. etc.)

Wasn't Cleopatra supposed to bathe in donkey's milk?

Tiger's milk anyone? The problem would be to get it.....

Milagai

Cheese, yogurt, (and butter) can be made from the milk of most grass eating mammals, which also includes antelope, giraffe, and wildebeest. Getting the wild ones to hold still for milking is the major problem with some.

The ancient Egyptians made cheese from camel's milk and the process is depicted on tomb paintings from the 3rd dynasty, more than 4000 years ago.

The Mongols made all kids of dairy foods from mare's milk, in fact, they often lived exclusively on it while on long treks.

The Lapplanders make reindeer cheese - caribou also produce sufficient quantities of milk.

In the Andes, in South America cheese is made from llama milk.

This page notes the animals that have been used to produce milk and milk products.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Camel's milk is used in those communities who have lots of camels.

Part of Gordon Ramsay's show "The F Word," features a segment where they investigate foods that are not commonly eaten in Britain, like goat and alligator... In one episode, they looked at camel milk, and touted it as having more calcium and more vitamin C than cow's milk -- while also having less fat. Oddly enough, the reporter had to travel to Germany to check it out, since it was illegal to import the stuff to the UK (they did not say why).

I want to make a blackberry sauce to accompany a seared duck breast. My question is:

What is the best way to deal with those pesky seeds

1. A food mill ? I don't think my smallest disc will stop the tiny seeds.

2. A sieve? - mine are all so fine that I suspect I might not get anything through.

3. Suffer the seeds?

4. Or?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I want to make a blackberry sauce to accompany a seared duck breast.  My question is:

1.  A food mill ? I don't think my smallest disc will stop the tiny seeds.

A food mill works for my blackberries. They might have bigger seeds than yours, though.

I've used a sieve before, too (I don't remember why), and it was a lot more work than the food mill but turned out fine.

Edited by beccaboo (log)

If push comes to shove, Anna N, you could food mill it first to get the skins and some seeds out, then use the sieve to get the rest of the seeds. Cheesecloth will do the trick too, but then you'll lose some of the juices. I haven't tried any of this with blackberries, but milling and then sieving worked for me on wild raspberries. I was mighty proud of that puree. :wub:

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I want to make a blackberry sauce to accompany a seared duck breast.  My question is:

2. A sieve? - mine are all so fine that I suspect I might not get anything through.

3. Suffer the seeds?

4. Or?

Anna, if you are going to cook the sauce, cook the berries in a tiny bit of water and push the pulp through a sieve. That's what I do for raspberry syrup.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Thanks, everyone! With a little patience and the back of a small ladle, the sauce passed through my strainer with little difficulty. The sauce tastes really good! Now to get those duck breasts cooked to crispy-skinned perfection!

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

3. Suffer the seeds?

4. Or?

To get a richer, fuller bodied, and smoother puree and sauce you should deep freeze the berries first, then take them out of the icebox until just thawed (Still a bit icy), then spin them in the blender or food processor. The main process that makes the coulis better is that during the freezing process, the liquids in the cell walls expands and causes them to burst, the ice crystals also do this and what spun at the just thawed stage the crystals help macerate the berries. As far as sieving, I would just throw it in a china cap and let it take it's sweet time. (search the ideasinfood blog for more clarification)

As for the milk question:

The reason you don't see any milks or cheeses from anything other than cows, goats and buffalo (and even the latter two can be very hard to come by, especially in the States), is that commercially, it isn't really viable to do so. Cheese itself takes a large amount of milk to produce a little finished product, and other beasts of burden have a very low yield. Cows, goats, and buffalo have been bread for hundreds of years for their milk production, and over the years different breeds have emerged that produce the greatest yield. For large scale production, it just isn't possible to economically make these products from the likes of camels, etc. (reference McGee's "On Food and Cooking" if you want more information)

ok a quick question that i totally should know the answer to, but i'm wavering about it. i'm probably going to make this recipe for beet/ricotta stuffed pasta tonight. is there any reason i couldn't freeze half of them once made? i know about freezing stuffed pasta in general and have frozen ricotta-stuffed ravioli with no real harm before, but i'm wondering about the egg and butter in the stuffing, and the general state of the mixture. anyone?

Edited by mrbigjas (log)

MrBJ: Despite what you wrote about Catalan spinach in the Tapas cooking thread where you omitted a terminal "s" in your moniker, I will answer.

It is okay. The Inimitable Ms. Rodgers gives explicit advice for freezing and thawing uncooked ricotta gnocchi, also made with eggs, butter and cheese. Same advice would apply here: just make sure to leave space in between each piece you freeze when you put a tray in the freezer; you can always layer them on parchment once they're frozen.

When thawing, let the entire process take place in the fridge. At this point, it's crucial that each one is separate so nothing sticks together and gums up, or tears and loses stuffing when you take them out and place them gently in the pot of boiling water.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Oops, you're right. Neither do I. I just do for the gnocchi. What I meant to encourage is freezing the raw egg in the mixture without worrying about getting sick. We all have spinach scare on the brain.

MrBJ:  Despite what you wrote about Catalan spinach in the Tapas cooking thread where you omitted a terminal "s" in your moniker, I will answer.

haha! i just couldn't resist.

It is okay.  The Inimitable Ms. Rodgers gives explicit advice for freezing and thawing uncooked ricotta gnocchi, also made with eggs, butter and cheese.  Same advice would apply here: just make sure to leave space in between each piece you freeze when you put a tray in the freezer; you can always layer them on parchment once they're frozen.

excellent. thanks!

Last night I made a slow braise, using a 2-lb. piece of bottom round. Despite more than the requisite number of hours of simmering in a bath of white wine, minced fatty meats, and vegetables including three pounds of slivered onions, it was only just at the point of seeming somewhat tender and the amount of liquid needs to reduce a bit more.

Question: Why do recipes tell you to leave the dish out on the counter for an hour BEFORE reheating?

Will texture or taste be compromised otherwise? I figure it's worth asking since I intend to cook it for about an hour more. There's a bag of pretzels in the house, but that's a long wait.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

Hi, I have a question. I saw some of the discussion in the beginning posts about how to thicken a gravy. My question is how do you choose between a cornstarch/water slurry and a roux to thicken a soup/gravy/sauce? Is there an obvious choice in any case where one is better than the other?

Last night I made a slow braise, using a 2-lb. piece of bottom round.  Despite more than the requisite number of hours of simmering in a bath of white wine, minced fatty meats, and vegetables including three pounds of slivered onions, it was only just at the point of seeming somewhat tender and the amount of liquid needs to reduce a bit more.

Question:  Why do recipes tell you to leave the dish out on the counter for an hour BEFORE reheating?

Will texture or taste be compromised otherwise?  I figure it's worth asking since I intend to cook it for about an hour more.  There's a bag of pretzels in the house, but that's a long wait.

what was the verdict on this? did you figure out anything?

i wonder if it's something like recipe authors worrying about pans warping or cracking if they're taken directly from the 37F/3C fridge and put on the fire. i've never seen it happen but i reckon it could.

Last night I made a slow braise, using a 2-lb. piece of bottom round.  Despite more than the requisite number of hours of simmering in a bath of white wine, minced fatty meats, and vegetables including three pounds of slivered onions, it was only just at the point of seeming somewhat tender and the amount of liquid needs to reduce a bit more.

Question:  Why do recipes tell you to leave the dish out on the counter for an hour BEFORE reheating?

Will texture or taste be compromised otherwise?  I figure it's worth asking since I intend to cook it for about an hour more.  There's a bag of pretzels in the house, but that's a long wait.

what was the verdict on this? did you figure out anything?

i wonder if it's something like recipe authors worrying about pans warping or cracking if they're taken directly from the 37F/3C fridge and put on the fire. i've never seen it happen but i reckon it could.

I would have thought that it was just to bring the dish to room temperature as many recipes will ask you to add additional cooking time if it comes directly from the 'fridge.

My 2004 eG Blog

Hi, I have a question.  I saw some of the discussion in the beginning posts about how to thicken a gravy.  My question is how do you choose between a cornstarch/water slurry and a roux to thicken a soup/gravy/sauce?  Is there an obvious choice in any case where one is better than the other?

Tim~

good question,and I'd love to hear answers from others. I use cornstarch in asian dishes or any dish where a clear 'glaze' type gravy seems appropriate. The flour/ roux gravies are opaque and heartier,a bit.

For example, if I made a chicken like this (Roast Chicken thread) my gravy would be with a roux. (and so yummy !)

Chicken "Ah Leung" Style, (Lemon Chicken) on the other hand,although it is just a sauteed chicken breast, would get the cornstarch sauce (and so yummy !)

How do you know? I am not sure........rice or potatoes/pasta? Dunno........ :huh:

Also, you do have to consider the properties of cornstarch.

It will thicken when heated to a certain point. However, if you continue heating it, hold it at simmer for too long, it will thin out again.

That is why it is used for quick cooking dishes that are served immediately and also for puddings that are cooked, then cooled.

Acid also affects cornstarch, will keep it from thickening or will thin it out if an acid is added to a cornstarch mix. (Note, this is the reason it isn't used for lemon curd.)

I would not use cornstarch in a soup.

I use only flour in a roux, for stew, etc.,

The best thickener for soup is some kind of cereal or potato starch - (the only reason I buy the small packets of potato flakes is to thicken soups, works nicely without adding any noticeable flavor.)

Another excellent thickener is couscous - whirl it in the blender to grind it to a fine powder - a little goes a long way. To thicken a fine cream soup, use egg yolks,(one yolk for each 8 oz of soup) well beaten and whisk constantly until the soup has reached the desired consistency then immediately remove from heat and strain through a wire mesh strainer to remove any lumps.

The best thickener for chili is masa, AKA corn flour.

Arrowroot is an excellent thickener and will thicken liquids at a lower temperature than either flour or cornstarch.

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Also, you do have to consider the properties of cornstarch.

It will thicken when heated to a certain point.  However, if you continue heating it, hold it at simmer for too long, it will thin out again.

That is why it is used for quick cooking dishes that are served immediately and also for puddings that are cooked, then cooled. 

Acid also affects cornstarch, will keep it from thickening or will thin it out if an acid is added to a cornstarch mix.  (Note, this is the reason it isn't used for lemon curd.)

I would not use cornstarch in a soup. 

I use only flour in a roux, for stew, etc.,

The best thickener for soup is some kind of cereal or potato starch - (the only reason I buy the small packets of potato flakes is to thicken soups, works nicely without adding any noticeable flavor.)

Another excellent thickener is couscous - whirl it in the blender to grind it to a fine powder - a little goes a long way.  To thicken a fine cream soup, use egg yolks,(one yolk for each 8 oz of soup) well beaten and whisk constantly until the soup has reached the desired consistency then immediately remove from heat and strain through a wire mesh strainer to remove any lumps. 

The best thickener for chili is masa, AKA corn flour. 

Arrowroot is an excellent thickener and will thicken liquids at a lower temperature than either flour or cornstarch.

Excellent points !

I am almost 50.  I know better than to pick up a pan that has been in the oven by the handle without a potholder.  Why do I keep forgetting?

This one is so bad I'm debating the ER or darvocet.

Er, shouldn't the this be on the "I will never again" thread? :laugh: (sorry, Snowy!)

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Anna, thanks for response. I thought the advice about bringing chilled food to room temp before continuing to cook didn't make much sense, so I popped pot directly onto burner. Perfectly fine. Better.

New Stupid Question:

How come tomato preps turn from deep red to bright orange when blended even for a brief period of time?

In both cases I've observed recently, olive oil has been involved along with a few other vegetables that were (of course) not as fully mixed up with the tomato until whirred in the blender. Gazpacho, raw tomato; tomato sauce, cooked with fresh tomatoes for more than an hour.