• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

TdeV

TdeV

Clarity

During a conversation about making stock, I think I'm remembering @btbyrd saying that uncut chicken bones will give up their goodness and flavour in a couple of hours.

So, I made a bean and ham hock soup in the Instant Pot (no pressure) at various temperatures (185-205°F) over 10-12 hours, then I refrigerated. Today, I defatted the pot, shredded the meat, and blended the vegetables. The whole pot is now reheating at 180°F.

Would there have been any value in adding the cleaned, uncut bones back into the soup? Is there any more flavour to be gotten out of them?

TdeV

TdeV

During a conversation about making stock, I think I'm remembering @btbyrd saying that uncut chicken bones will give up their goodness and flavour in a couple of hours.

So, I made a bean and ham hock soup in the Instant Pot at various temperatures (185-205°F) over 10-12 hours, then I refrigerated. Today, I defatted the pot, shredded the meat, and blended the vegetables. The whole pot is now reheating at 180°F.

Would there have been any value in adding the cleaned, uncut bones back into the soup? Is there any more flavour to be gotten out of them?