• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

Here is a recipe that I have used for years and bakes well in a loaf pan. It is also easy to cut the recipe in half.

Moist Chocolate Cake 

QBZtbEKvl9QX-DOYyYZ6V-lTGtkFKglOjgkhXMssIEbSa9HJQUsrAgkA_EtU9Em3Ch8PudivWa2maYOTwEuCWXVBZqey7GT6tFDBL6IH0sXnIN7mLRrc_H6IkOu3_Q4x-Hf8C4Ng=s1600

I found this recipe about 25 years ago and I haven’t baked any other chocolate cake since.  It not only is the easiest and cheapest, it is by far the best tasting.

2  cups  flour

3/4  cup  cocoa 

1  teaspoon  baking  powder 

2  cup  sugar 

2  teaspoon  soda 

1  teaspoon  salt

1  cup  oil 

1  cup  milk 

1  cup  hot  coffee 

2  eggs 

1  teaspoon  vanilla

Mix dry ingredients together, and then add oil, coffee, and milk.  Stir two minutes. Add eggs and vanilla and mix  well. (This order of adding ingredients is important) Bake in two 9” x 5” loaf pans. Or it can be baked in two 9” layer pans. If baked in the layer pans, reduce the time to 30 to 35 minutes.

Bake at 325o for 40 to 45 minutes

Frost with cream cheese frosting.

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

Here is a recipe that I have used for years and bakes well in a loaf pan.

Moist Chocolate Cake 

QBZtbEKvl9QX-DOYyYZ6V-lTGtkFKglOjgkhXMssIEbSa9HJQUsrAgkA_EtU9Em3Ch8PudivWa2maYOTwEuCWXVBZqey7GT6tFDBL6IH0sXnIN7mLRrc_H6IkOu3_Q4x-Hf8C4Ng=s1600

I found this recipe about 25 years ago and I haven’t baked any other chocolate cake since.  It not only is the easiest and cheapest, it is by far the best tasting.

2  cups  flour

3/4  cup  cocoa 

1  teaspoon  baking  powder 

2  cup  sugar 

2  teaspoon  soda 

1  teaspoon  salt

1  cup  oil 

1  cup  milk 

1  cup  hot  coffee 

2  eggs 

1  teaspoon  vanilla

Mix dry ingredients together, and then add oil, coffee, and milk.  Stir two minutes. Add eggs and vanilla and mix  well. (This order of adding ingredients is important) Bake in two 9” x 5” loaf pans. Or it can be baked in two 9” layer pans. If baked in the layer pans, reduce the time to 30 to 35 minutes.

Bake at 325o for 40 to 45 minutes

Frost with cream cheese frosting.