• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

SLB

SLB

Thank you.  I am wanting to make it as a backpacking snack, so I'm not sure the stem stuff would work.  I can get nauseous when backpacking with a large pack, I'm not really sure why.  But I'm thinking, ginger is what they give you for that in helicopters . . . .

Anyway.  I have a killer trail mix -- candied dried rhubarb; dried strawberries (this year I'm trying to candy these too; strangely strawberries dehydrate to kinda bland although it's not a bad bland); and cashews.  Or pecans, but something about the cashews works out well (I don't actually like cashews anywhere else. 

Or anything all sweetened up like this, anywhere else.  Outside of strenuous physical activity I can't really tolerate sugary-sweet anything.  This could be related to the nausea, possibly, the fact that I am suddenly wolfing down straight sugar garnished with a little fruit and fat . . . .)

Anyway -- sometimes m&ms also go in, for tradition's sake (preferably dark, let's not get carried away on this hyper-sweetness).

Anyway.  I was thinking of sticking little candied ginger sticks in that.  

Although I do like bits of candied citrus peel in cookies and cakes, my only other routine use of candied anything is cocktails.  I think candied citrus peel is just divine in my likka.  And I suspect that candied ginger is going to perform very well there, if it turns out that I can't take it on the trail.  Or if I, uh, have some extra.  

SLB

SLB

Thank you.  I am wanting to make it as a backpacking snack, so I'm not sure the stem stuff would work.  I can get nauseous when backpacking with a large pack, I'm not really sure why.  But I'm thinking, ginger is what they give you for that in helicopters . . . .

Anyway.  I have a killer trail mix -- candied dried rhubarb; dried strawberries (this year I'm trying to candy these too; strangely strawberries dehydrate to kinda bland although it's not a bad bland); and cashews.  Or pecans, but something about the cashews works out well (I don't actually like cashews anywhere else. 

Or anything all sweetened up like this, anywhere else.  Outside of strenuous physical activity I can't really tolerate sugary-sweet anything.  This could be related to the nausea, possibly . . . .)

Anyway -- sometimes m&ms also go in, for tradition's sake (preferably dark, let's not get carried away on this hyper-sweetness).

Although I do like bits of candied citrus peel in cookies and cakes, my only other routine use of candied anything is cocktails.  I think candied citrus peel is just divine in my likka.  And I suspect that candied ginger is going to perform very well there, if it turns out that I can't take it on the trail.  Or if I, uh, have some extra.  

SLB

SLB

Or anything all sweetened up like this -- outside of strenuous physical activity I can't really tolerate sugary-sweet anything.  This could be related to the nausea, possibly . . . .)

SLB

SLB

Or anything all sweetened up like this -- outside of strenuous physical activity I can't really tolerate sugary-sweet anything.  This could be related to the nausea, possibly . . . .)

Although I do like bits of candied citrus peel in cookies and cakes, my only other routine use of candied anything is cocktails.  I think candied citrus peel is just divine in my likka.  And I suspect that candied ginger is going to perform very well there, if it turns out that I can't take it on the trail.