• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

typo

1 hour ago, Orbit said:

Stupid question: Can you put a hot pan on a granite counter? Will it crack it?

Will what crack - the pan or the counter?  

My understanding is that granite can generally handle the heat from hot pans.  Sealants and adhesives joining slabs may be less resistant. I do put hot pans on my granite counter from time to time and have not had a crack yet.  

When baking in glass or ceramic pans, I put them on a rack, or a dry, folded kitchen towel more for the sake of the pan than the granite counter. 

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

1 hour ago, Orbit said:

Stupid question: Can you put a hot pan on a granite counter? Will it crack it?

Will what crack - the pan or the counter?  

My understanding is that granite can generally handle the heat from hot pans.  Sealants and adhesives joining slaps may be less resistant. I do put hot pans on my granite counter from time to time and have not had a crack yet.  

When baking in glass or ceramic pans, I put them on a rack, or a dry, folded kitchen towel more for the sake of the pan than the granite counter.