• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Toliver

Toliver

51 minutes ago, TdeV said:

So, in future, can I take an egg out of the fridge and leave it on the counter for 24 hours?

19 minutes ago, haresfur said:

I have heard that there is some difference if they are washed or not but the eggs here seem like they might be cleaned since even the free-range ones in the grocery store don't have any muck on them.

In the United States, the eggs are washed, which washes away the protective coating, before selling  the eggs in stores. If you're in the U.S., your egg needs to be refrigerated.

edited to add: If you're saying you've taken the egg out of the refrigerator and it's still too cold after 2 hours, have you tried cracking the egg into a small bowl/dish and let that sit out? Two hours would be the food-safety maximum. But I would think the bowl would, through heat exchange, bring the temperature of the egg up to a useable degree.

Toliver

Toliver

48 minutes ago, TdeV said:

So, in future, can I take an egg out of the fridge and leave it on the counter for 24 hours?

16 minutes ago, haresfur said:

I have heard that there is some difference if they are washed or not but the eggs here seem like they might be cleaned since even the free-range ones in the grocery store don't have any muck on them.

In the United States, the eggs are washed, which washes away the protective coating, before selling  the eggs in stores. If you're in the U.S., your egg needs to be refrigerated.