• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Anna N

Anna N

17 minutes ago, haresfur said:

I just defrost at 55 C or whatever temperature I consider "done". That way it doesn't sit in the danger zone for bacteria growth.

If you are going to set it at 20 C, you might as well put it out on the counter, imo. (ok water is better than air for transferring heat into the food.

If I intend to sous vide something that is frozen then of course I will just put it in at the temperature I hope it ultimately reaches. But we are talking of things that we are going to cook in ways other than sous vide and need to get them safely and quickly defrosted. At least that is what I am talking about!

edited to add: since the object is frozen when put into cold tap water to defrost it is at a much lower temperature than the 20°C that I am allowed to set on the Joule. So it stays in the safety zone for a very long part of the hour to two hours that it takes to defrost. 

Anna N

Anna N

14 minutes ago, haresfur said:

I just defrost at 55 C or whatever temperature I consider "done". That way it doesn't sit in the danger zone for bacteria growth.

If you are going to set it at 20 C, you might as well put it out on the counter, imo. (ok water is better than air for transferring heat into the food.

If I intend to sous vide something that is frozen then of course I will just put it in at the temperature I hope it ultimately reaches. But we are talking of things that we are going to cook in ways other than sous vide and need to get them safely and quickly defrosted. At least that is what I am talking about!