• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

TdeV

TdeV

Clarity

Some other questions: Say the lamb shoulder gets cooked sous vide as one piece. I then want to prepare two dishes of 1.5" diced lamb.

1. Some folks like meat much rarer than I do, I was thinking to cook probably 48 hours at something less than 141F but lots higher than 133F (sorry, @rotuts). Do you recommend doing the meat at two temperatures, and if so, how?
  2. I can cut and sear the meat post sous vide?
  3. The same folks like meat much spicier than I do. I'm thinking of coating one dish of lamb with a mixture of curry powder, dry mustard, black and cayenne pepper, cardamom, cumin, allspice (deSaulniers, Salad Days p.193). Do I use the mixture pre-sear? Post-sear also?
  4. As a general rule, does one use less spice if it follows a sous vide cook?
  5. After searing, can I keep the meat warm in bags in the sous-vide water (cooled by a few degrees)? For a couple of hours? What does that do to the texture?
TdeV

TdeV

Some other questions: Say the lamb shoulder gets cooked sous vide as one piece. I then want to prepare two dishes of 1.5" diced lamb.

1. Some folks like meat much rarer than I do, I was thinking to cook probably 48 hours at something less than 141F but lots higher than 133F (sorry, @rotuts). Do you recommend doing the meat at two temperatures, and if so, how?
  2. I can cut and sear the meat post sous vide?
  3. The same folks like meat much spicier than I do. I'm thinking of coating one dish of lamb with a mixture of curry powder, dry mustard, black and cayenne pepper, cardamom, cumin, allspice (deSaulniers, Salad Days p.193). Do I use the mixture pre-sear? Post-sear also?
  4. As a general rule, does one use less spice if it follows a sous vide cook?
  5. After searing, can I keep the meat warm in bags in the sous-vide water (cooled by a few degrees)? For a couple of hours?