• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Puff Pastry is very sticky

ilovecake123

Hi, I just brought some puff pastry today. I made meuifeille with it and time went on it became very sticky and unbearable to handle.

Can someone help me to sort out the dough. It has become very sticky and it would be a shame to waste it thanks.

What can i do to sort out the dough?

thanks

I would put it in the freezer for a while. I generally cut off the portion I am working with and let the "to be used" part rest in fridge or freezer. I also favor using a cold surface and cold pin. I roll out on granite counter.

• Like 1

What Heidi said. It sounds like your kitchen its too hot or you weren't working quickly enough. Puff pastry needs to be handled quickly, in a cool environment and with cool hands and utensils. I have a slab of granite I keep in the freezer specifically for pastry and chocolate work.

• Like 1