• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 1)

weinoo

if I got my Watts and Amps sorted out  

I hear ya, rotuts!  When I first put the CSO in this house in my preferred location, it turned out to be on the same circuit as my Over-The-Range micro and I could not use both at the same time. 

It helped that we were finishing the basement at that time, so they had easy access to electrics and could accommodate the changes I wanted.

I purchased this just a few (3) months ago. My oven has a drain hole inside.  I haven't made bread in it yet, but it was one of the selling points in my decision to buy this oven.  I'm working on my starter now and expect to bake bread this week.  I have read a lot of reviews from people who proof and bake in this and  besides the obvious issue of loaf size, it appears to work well.  So I'm hoping for the best.  I'll be disappointed if my bread doesn't turn out well, but after having used this oven for the last few months, I've found that the benefit of having an oven that has a steam function goes far beyond just baking bread,  This oven has brought many a left over meal back to life, even fried tortillas taste fresh out of the oil when reheated in this thing.  Dumplings are perfect and so is rice.  For me even without being able to bake bread, this oven beats out other counter top ovens. 

• Like 1

have no idea why Canada gets a sl different model.  w the 'ridged' in side pan  So I emailed Cuisinart :

Valued Customer,

Thank you for your inquiry. We do not have a model CSO-300N. The only model we have is the CSO-300.

If you have any further questions please reply, with history, to this email. We invite you to call our Customer Service Department at 1-800-726-0190. Please keep in mind the Customer Service Agent will not have access to your e-mail information. The hours of operation are 7 AM -11 PM EST Monday through Friday and 9 AM - 5:30 PM on Saturdays and Sundays, excluding major holidays.

Sincerely,
Jason
Cuisinart Customer Service Representative

BTW  V 1 has a drain hole, V 1.1 has a drain hole w a little more indentation.

Edited by rotuts (log)

have no idea why Canada gets a sl different model.  w the 'ridged' in side pan  So I emailed Cuisinart :

Valued Customer,

Thank you for your inquiry. We do not have a model CSO-300N. The only model we have is the CSO-300.If you have any further questions please reply, with history, to this email. We invite you to call our Customer Service Department at 1-800-726-0190. Please keep in mind the Customer Service Agent will not have access to your e-mail information. The hours of operation are 7 AM -11 PM EST Monday through Friday and 9 AM - 5:30 PM on Saturdays and Sundays, excluding major holidays.Sincerely,JasonCuisinart Customer Service Representative

BTW  V 1 has a drain hole, V 1.1 has a drain hole w a little more indentation.

Very interesting!

http://www.cuisinart.ca/cuisinart_product.php?product_id=500&item_id=465&cat_id=14

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

maybe the C is for the Canadiene model , eh ?

it has the newer ridged drip pan which you can see in the you-tube vid if you have Eagle Eyes

the Chef in the video is Canadiene eh ?

and it's bi-ligual on the front.

no " parts " yet for it.

I wonder if a Canadian Safety Board of some kind made them re-design the drip tray.  It was clear to me the first day

I used it it had the potential to be a hazard.

No Teeth S. of the Boarder on the Consumer Boards it seems.

Edited by rotuts (log)

Many appliances are manufactured with that "C" suffix on their model numbers indicating Canadian. I suspect but do not know for certain that the standards to obtain the UL certification are different than those required to obtain the CSA certification -- not better just different. It can be very disturbing at times. My daughter has an over the range microwave which is rated very differently in Canada than in the US and proved to be a very underpowered and disappointing purchase.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I am not up on what the difference is between CSA standards vs the states standards.  However, I did find out that if an appliance or piece of equipment malfunctions causing an insurance claim, and it is not CSA approved then your insurance company will not allow the claim. 

Why? Since we do use the same power wattages and outlets, this makes no sense but insurance companies are always looking for a way not to pay.

I have been watching this thread with great interest and now I want one!!  I just don't have the counter top space until the toaster oven finally dies :-(

CSA and UL are both companies that test and certify products regarding their safety. In Canada, certain products can not be sold unless they have undergone and passed this testing and display their CSA approval. I believe the same is true of the US.

p

you will love it.

you've head the expression " alway room at the top ?"

well  there's always plenty of room on the counter for the Very Best Stuff

F.D.: May not be applicable in Canada,  restrictions, taxes, Mounties,  Hockey, etc 

Edited by rotuts (log)

Hockey!  Don't go there.  We're very sensitive :laugh:

You are right about making room for the very best stuff:  beside the Vitamix; beside the Polyscience Sous Vide Rig; beside the Cadco UNOX Convection oven; beside the Waring Pro Ice Crusher (for cocktails); beside the meat grinder; beside the sausage stuffer, beside the WaringPro Deep Fryer; beside the VacMaster Sealer; beside the.........All of which I would not have had I not joined here $$$$$$$ :blush:

But, in reality I use them all and have found the advice given here to be excellent so, like you said rotuts, I am sure I will love it. :wub:

• Like 1

Oops, sorry for the bad typing...I'm sooo excited.

Toast? You will definitely be needing toast dope. Made some up this morning and had forgotten how good it was. Going to take a jar up north with me next month.

My 2004 eG Blog

Roast beef dripping ....it's a British thing! Next time you roast a beef joint (roast) pour off all the fat and other goodie bits from the pan. Refrigerate . When ready to slather on your toast, mix it up and top with some salt and or pepper.

Toast dope?

Johnnybird's Toast Dope, from Johnnybird himself.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Okanagancook

are you a Student of Meat Loaf ?  your favorite will cook quicker and be moister in the CSB.

don't forget the High Quality Bacon on the top.

Chicken things w skin on are a revelation.  

that's in the thread.   " Chicken Skin Crackers "

potatoes cut up and Steam-baked are not just creamier but have some crunch.

Im a bit disappointed that there are no longer  'bargain' prices.

why ?   Id not mind a second one in the 'reserve' area, 

and, although im extremely talented at spending other peoples money

Ive done this thoughtfully (  :huh:  i.e. Ill be over soon to test out your new   ##### ) and Ive

never had any complaints what so ever.

this as a toaster , and only a toaster , would make HomeBreadBakers  ( esp Non-Machine-bread-makes )

swooooon in delight.

I can say this as  

1 ) mine sat in a box for several months

2)  although Toast was well documented by several people  ( weinoo et.al ), it took me longer to try  this out.  What a dummy !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2