• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 1)

weinoo

Just picked this up on Friday, still sitting in the box.  Been agonizing for months as to whether to get this or the Breville XL and a sale for Cuisinart made the decision for me, and now the Breville is also on sale :(  so the decision process starts again as I can still take the Cuisinart back but I am leaning towards keeping it instead of getting the Breville ....  I use my little toaster oven almost every day to make dinner so the extra space with the Breville really would be useful but I also really really want the steam ...

Anyway, I am having some friends over for dinner tomorrow night and would like to make a cheesecake.  If I do make my decision today and keep the cuisinart, I am wondering if the steam bake would work well for cheesecakes in place of a water bath.  Has anyone tried?  I am also a little concern about it being close to the top element and having the top burnt but I supposed I could use a lower temp ...

Edited by yatyat (log)

AnnaN's results w beets in the M.T.K. thread got me thinking about 'Super Steam' which I know nothing about.  Id guess its for cleaning the oven.

against my 'Push the button first, lets see happens' philosophy , I pulled then 'manual' out of moth balls and took a look :

"  Super Steam

Steam plus the additional heat of the bottom element is the ideal setting for perfect rice.  .....  

Super Steam also does a great job w steam-roasted vegetables.  Put vegetables in the lower or middle rack position and set

up to 400 F for at least 20 minutes. "

so cant say what happened w those beets.   Ive had great success at Bake-Steam 425 for 30 + minutes for beets.

re- water bath:   the manual states that Bake-steam can replace a water bath.  you cover them and use bake steam at a low temperature.  custards 225.  'heartier' dishes  ( bread pudding ) 325.

they dont have a cheese cake Rx in the book.

Ive only made C.C. a few times and to me its on the temperamental side of baking.

best of luck !

re- water bath:   the manual states that Bake-steam can replace a water bath.  you cover them and use bake steam at a low temperature.  custards 225.  'heartier' dishes  ( bread pudding ) 325.

they dont have a cheese cake Rx in the book.

Ive only made C.C. a few times and to me its on the temperamental side of baking.

best of luck !

Thanks Rotuts!  I should've read the manual fully, I only glanced through the recipe section last night in a hurry :)

I just commented over on the Manitoulin thread and didn't see that you folks were discussing the same thing here! I think I said before that i find the Steam Broil the least useful function for my purposes so far. Super Steam is great for cooking rice but I'm not sure I would use it for a lot of other functions though I will still try playing with it a bit. 

It makes sense that it's easier to burn things by using only the upper or lower elements for cooking - for example, 400F on Steam/Bake uses both upper and lower elements, but if you are trying to maintain a 400F oven by only using the lower element, then anything in the oven is more at risk of burning from the bottom, esp if your tray/rack are in the lower position. I assume that those elements are going to have to stay hotter to maintain that temp than it would by sharing the job with the upper elements. 

There might be times when you want extra heat on the bottom of the food, but with most I think you want even heat from above and below. Broiling, of course, has some obvious applications. 

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 1

More cooking in the Combo oven:

This one was just OK. I put some fresh baby spinach in the little casserole dishes, then cracked some eggs on top and then some red peppers. My timing was off for the eggs, as the yolks became too hard. I did a steam only at 210F, not sure how I could make this work better. Definitely needs work. 

IMGP2551.JPG

Very basic blueberry muffins. Needed something quick and had some blueberries and not a lot else. They baked up very nicely in the oven though. 

IMGP2741.JPG

This was a huge winner - lasagna on the Steam Bake. The lovely thing is that you can make a non-watery sauce and the noodles (not home-made!) cook through very nicely without any of the dried out hard edges you can sometimes get in a regular oven. The sauce stayed thick and the noodles were just right and the cheese still browned nicely. Also, a decent-sized casserole dish fits in this oven, made 4 very generous servings.

IMGP2719.JPG 

IMGP2748.JPG

And finally, we have a bit of a weakness for Papa Murphy's pizza, so had to try a 12" one in the oven on a day when we had little time for making a meal. The oven was great, I rotated the pizza after this pic which evened out the baking. I do think the back is a bit hotter than the front so turning food is a good idea when you want even browning, etc. 

This is a Papa Murphy's with creamy garlic sauce, artichokes, mushrooms, black olives, feta cheese and pineapple. It looks a bit bent because it got squished in the car on the way home! 

IMGP2690.JPG

All in all, still loving this little oven. 

• Like 2

Another meal that turned out very well in the oven was braised beef short ribs. Usually, I would not be keen on making this on a warm day but short ribs were on sale and it's a fave dish. 

The oven did a fabulous job but this became messy. No need for a lid on the baking dish because the oven can generate the necessary steam, but I would either use a lid or a lower temp next time because this did splatter around the inside of the oven quite a bit. I used Bake Steam at 325F and maybe even Steam only at 210F would have been sufficient without causing the splatter? 

It's pretty easy to clean out the oven after doing an extra Steam run but I didn't really like having to do extra clean up. 

The meat was fabulous though and you don't need nearly as much braising liquid as you would in a dry oven. Maybe I used too much? But at the same time, even with the steam, you do get some evaporation after cooking that long. (I did almost 2 hours, but not sure I needed that much time) 

All the usual braising methods, pretty much - brown the meat, sauté onion, carrots, shallots, garlic - add red wine and beef stock. Put in casserole dish with some thyme and rosemary and bake-steam! 

IMGP2775.JPG

IMGP2778.JPG

IMGP2781.JPG

After the meat was done, I removed it and strained the liquid and defatted it. Threw some lovely local nugget potatoes and carrots in the oven and steam-baked them while I reheated the braised ribs in a saucepan on the induction burner. 

IMGP2784.JPG

Not a beautiful pic, but a very tasty meal! 

IMGP2785.JPG

• Like 2

If a lid is put over a dish, does that diminish the value of the steam in the steam-bake cycle? If so, then would a small spatter screen over a dish (like your tasty-sounding short ribs, FauxPas) reduce the mess from spattering, without interfering with the steam?

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

If a lid is put over a dish, does that diminish the value of the steam in the steam-bake cycle? If so, then would a small spatter screen over a dish (like your tasty-sounding short ribs, FauxPas) reduce the mess from spattering, without interfering with the steam?

Yes, that would certainly help! I'll have to try a similar dish again. 

I think i have a few choices - some kind of cover/screen, less liquid, higher-sided dish, lower temp. 

The manual (when in doubt.... ) does say to cook things like short ribs directly on the baking tray with minimal or no liquid. Start at a medium temp (approx 350) and then reduce after 1 hour (to approx 225) with a total cooking time of around 2 hours. "Minimal to no liquid is used in steam-baked, braised dishes because natural juices are drawn out from the meat, providing the perfect braising liquid."  (p 9) 

I do like making the sauce along with the braised meat, though I could have braised the meat separately.

Maybe next time I will try - brown the meat then remove from skillet and into the steam oven. Add aromatics to skillet and sauté and deglaze as usual with wine and stock. Set liquid aside. When meat is done, defat as necessary, then add to liquid and heat through. I think that would work quite well. And use a lower temp for the last hour of cooking, which I did not do this time. 

And I might still use a small casserole dish for the meat rather than just the baking tray. 

Thanks for helping me work this through!!! 

Edited by FauxPas (log)

DSCN3083.jpg

Made this flan today.  Used the steam setting.  Was experimenting a bit - started with 60 minutes at 180 but it didn't set - so increased to 200 for thirty minutes.  Suspect that 40 minutes at 200F would be perfect.  Set up so the rack was at the lowest, flan dish was on the tray and put the 9.5 inch silicone cover on the dish.   Emptied the water trap once during the cooking.  

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Between this thread and Manitoulin 1&2, I'm thinking that  the combi oven topic has matured to the point where it deserves a rigorous approach akin to the SV threads of years past.

Perhaps a series of focused themes for group study.... eg are short ribs better SV or combi or braised?  What combi settings are optimal? A number of us are equipped to do all three techniques and could generate useful data/recipes.

I also suspect that there are a lot of commercial combi-oven recipes and approaches that are not available to the general public. Perhaps our pro-chef eG colleagues could suggest resources...

• Like 1

A question for those who have one of these - how much power does it consume? Since it's plugging into a standard US outlet, I'm sure it draws less than 15A (1800W) but I was just curious. Watching this thread, plus the several other scattered posts are making me very interested... but considering that the cooking gas in my apartment is free, and I have to pay for electric, I was just wondering what it costs to operate this on a regular basis.

Also, if you keep searching you can find resources for Steam Convection ovens - like the Thermidor site here:

http://www.thermador.com/Culinary/Recipes/steam-and-convection-oven

And there are a few blogs, like the VZUG Combi-Steam Queen. 

https://www.facebook.com/vzugcombisteamqueen

Had a quick look at your Thermador link and saw a great idea-skinning tomatoes by steaming them at 210F for a couple of minutes. Sounds like an easy way to accomplish this task.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

its your initial cost on the CSB that will 'cost you'

if you can afford that, the electrical won't be something you notice 

if I remember, the next time I use it    ... a doz.  eggs are up soon ...

Ill put it on my Kill-a-Watt.

Edited by rotuts (log)

Had a quick look at your Thermador link and saw a great idea-skinning tomatoes by steaming them at 210F for a couple of minutes. Sounds like an easy way to accomplish this task.

It does work well, but I seem to recall needing more than 2 or 3 minutes to loosen the skin. Probably at least 5. 

179.  if you are a first time buy-er at S la T

That's an excellent price! And the site says free shipping for orders over $59. Though you might not be able to combine that with the 1st time discount. I don't think they ship to Canada, though. 

I'm tempted to buy a second one at that price and keep one in both houses. 

• Like 1

i was able to combine the sale price at the time w the extra 10 % off at the tme

but things change

one think about their sales, they dont tell you how long they are for.

Edited by rotuts (log)

It does work well, but I seem to recall needing more than 2 or 3 minutes to loosen the skin. Probably at least 5. 

Just tried this, as I wanted some peeled tomatoes. Five minutes with 210F Steam-only did not loosen the skins much on the tomatoes I have. So I put them on Steam-Bake at 350F. And then I got distracted with a phone call and it was 15 mins before I checked them, at which point I had to let them cool a bit but then the skins slipped right off.

So, you need less than what I did, but almost certainly more than the 2-3 mins that the Thermador people say! But depends on what you want to do with your peeled tomatoes, of course. The cooking time I used today extracted some of the water from the tomatoes but left tomatoes with lovely concentrated flavour. I've done the same thing before when I wanted tomatoes to peel and use for a sauce, but at a slightly higher temp. 

IMGP2851.JPG

ETA Here is the link to a more formal cookbook by Thermador:

http://www.thermador.ca/Public/Media/pdf/26204724_9000882530.pdf

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 2