• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 1)

weinoo

Duck breast.  Took out of refrigerator, scored the fat, straight into CSB steam 140 degrees for 30 minutes.  Seared in cast iron skilled with another skillet on top to facilitate fat rendering.  Very minimal rest and no precious juices leaking out!  Steaming made fat very soft and allowed for quick rendering and searing without overcooking the breast.

cso duck.jpg

cso duck1.jpg

• Like 5

Very happy.  Probably could have seared a few minutes longer but it could have resulted in a trip to a Therapist: "I have overcooked duck breast".  The skillet on top while searing seems to be the key.

What about using one of those remote thermometers than you put into the bird and has a temp alert?

Could you thread the cord successfully out through the oven door?

Me too, I don't think a probe would be good due to the seal problem.  I will just check it  more often.  

I reheated three thin slices of pizza and tried to use the leftover pizza note from my chart.   Must be someone using the Breville because the CA steam function doesn't go to 450. I used Super Steam at 400F (the highest it goes) for five minutes then changed to Convection Bake at 450 for 5 minutes.  The pieces were getting pretty brown mainly because it was thin.  I think it would work well with our homemade thicker pizza.  The crust was nice and crisp.  Definitely the way to go to reheat pizza and quick too.

DSC01155.jpg

• Like 4

Me too, I don't think a probe would be good due to the seal problem.  I will just check it  more often.  

I have used a remote in mine, I threaded it out near the bottom of the door as I felt the top area was most important to the seal.

p

• Like 2

I have tried to make the charts larger and this is the best I can do.  I think they are readable now.  Thank you Rotuts for your help.

If anyone wants the Mac Numbers spreadsheet or I can convert it to Excel then send me a personal email and would be happy to send it to you.  Then you can update your chart as you go.

Screen Shot 2015-10-04 at 9.44.13 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2015-10-04 at 9.45.02 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2015-10-04 at 9.45.30 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2015-10-04 at 9.46.05 AM.jpg

• Like 1

Reheated the pork ribs and yorkshire pud from dinner the other night.  15 minutes on Bake Steam at 300F then changed to broil on the first shelf at 300F for 5 minutes.  Perfectly moist and crispy.

DSC01157.jpg

Made some roasted jalapeños, done whole on Convection Bake at 450F for 15 minutes then on the middle shelf on Broil 500F for 5 minutes.  Nicely cooked.  I deseeded them and popped them in the freezer on a sheet pan for later use.

DSC01160.jpg

Next up were one inch flowerettes  of cauliflower, tossed in a little oil.  Steam Bake at 350 for 10 minutes, then onto the top shelf and Broil 500F for 4 minutes.  In retrospect, I would have cooked for only 8 minutes (they were a little bit over done for our tastes) and then broiled them a little longer to get some more brown on them.DSC01164.jpg

• Like 2

Okanagancook, that is a great job you did on the spreadsheet. If only I had a CSO. ......

Ditto.

I may start shopping and watching sales. I have a crappy convection/toaster oven that is not great at either and has a broken knob to boot. I keep a pair of hemostats near the oven to turn the stem that used to hold the knob. I get a raised eyebrow every now and then.  

Cyclea, sounds like you have more than enough reasons to spring for one of these babies! It took me a year but finally got one and I am really enjoying cooking in it. A lot of control of cooking available and if you are cooking small batches of food it seems economical and definitely quick. Go for it.

cyalexa & ElsieD,  I'm with you on coveting these things.  Okanagancook is making it ever harder to resist with that great spreadsheet and more great examples of its use.  

I haunt this thread in hopes of learning about a good deal or price cut.   Someday……my deal will come  :biggrin: !  

For those of you trying to resist buying one of these, look away, far far away  :raz:

Fresh centre cut pork loin chops, 6 oz each.

Seasoned with a rub from Cook's Illustrated (it was in the cupboard); Pan seared briefly; Bake Steam at 425F for 7 minutes; centre was around 144F so for us it was just slightly over done.  Next time I will put them in for 5 minutes and then check.  They were still very juicy and ready so quickly.  How much energy did that use compared to heating up one's oven.  I updated my little spread sheet.

DSC01166.jpg

DSC01167.jpg

DSC01168.jpg

DSC01170.jpg

• Like 4

This morning:  cubed potatoes in at 450 Bake Steam for 20 minutes total.  The raw sausages were put in for the last 10 minutes with the potatoes.  Then everything was Broiled for 2 minutes.

The sausages were done perfectly and so were the potatoes.

DSC01171.jpg

• Like 2

the bottom slider is to collect crumbs from toast

as far as i remember, that's its only use so the crumbs don't accumulate in the bottom and later burn

Thank you!