• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 1)

weinoo

My BSO currently sits diagonally across a corner under cabinets, thus there is more room behind than if it flat against the wall.

Do you think that would be enough open space for the Cuisinart or not?

I guess Ive got a bit of warranty to go !

CSB Steamholes.jpg

here is my CSB where it now sits

note the line of holes on the back  ( R in pic )   steam comes out of these holes as it cooks.

you do not want these under a counter, Id say

Until I moved my CSB as above, I used to put it on a cutting board, this one :

board.jpg

not only is that board HandMade, but its well in front of the cabinets.

its easy to move, initially while it finds its own home.

and it will.

the newer model, pre-release im guessing was to be called 300-N

maybe they scrapped that idea

FP would be the one to know what the newer model is called.

Im very surprised its not discounted.  BB&B will give you 20 % off but they don't seem to have them on

display in my area any more.  Im guessing they will ship it to your house for free

but to use that coupon you have to order while in the store.

so $ 240 USD

Edited by rotuts (log)

Odd

I became obsessed interested in the N model.

N.B.: it has  

Screen

Round Knob

two buttons

then

one button

the original only has two buttons, one above the other.

I call them and the one they currently sell has the original button config.

but I guess a better drain and a studier pan ?

I did not have a toaster oven in this house before, so the Cuisinart was very appealing to me - I was able to get rid of the toaster on the counter and put the Cuisinart in its place and it added so much extra functionality.

This house has no upper cabinets on either side of the range so I could put the CSO on either side. I don't think I would want it sitting right under cabinets but depends on the situation, I guess and the cabinet materials. lindag, I think I see what you are saying and certainly that position would give better air circulation and let the steam dissipate somewhat, but the steam will still vent upwards. Are you cabinet bottoms a standard height from the countertop? Mine are only 16" apart here, so would be really close. In the Instant Pot thread, someone mentioned placing the pot on a Lazy Susan. Maybe the same thing would work in some cases for the CSO? Or a pull-out shelf? 

Both of the models that I bought have exactly the same controls.The one i bought in Canada comes with a bilingual manual describing it as the CSO-300C but I'm pretty sure that 'C' just stands for Canada and refers back to the bilingual labeling. The newer one has the better tray and drainage. I would think that the newer ones sold in the US have that also, right? 

Back to location, in the other house I might risk using the oven under the cabinets. Those cabinets are higher than these ones are and they are old and due to be replaced soon anyway.  :biggrin:

Actually, I have a spot on the opposite side of the kitchen where I could place the CSO, no upper cabinets there.  Not quite as convenient but workable.  I checked yesterday and Costco has the oven for <$250 with free shipping.

It's be worth the extra $10 to me to not have to fool with BB&B and their in-store coupon business.

You see?  I'm talking myself into this!!!

Has anyone used their oven as a bread proofer?  This really appeals to me as it could replace my Brod & Taylor bread proofer and free up that space.

• Like 1

I generally bake the large 9x5" size loaves and even in the BSO there's just not quite enough height for the rise so I continue to bake in my range.  The proof box I use, which works wonderfully well, is quite tall and roomy so I can get almost any size pan inside.

If I have to continue proofing with what I have that's alright too, I just like the idea of the steam a lot.

I generally bake the large 9x5" size loaves and even in the BSO there's just not quite enough height for the rise so I continue to bake in my range.  The proof box I use, which works wonderfully well, is quite tall and roomy so I can get almost any size pan inside.

If I have to continue proofing with what I have that's alright too, I just like the idea of the steam a lot.

Yeah. Don't think you will be proofing or baking in the CSO.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Free-form loaves would work and as far as baking goes, height is the only concern, I've done whole chickens in mine, small ones mind you. Yeah the fact that quarter sheet pans won't fit is a bummer, but I found some pans at a restaurant supply store that work. 

p

odd :

CSB pans.jpg

my replacement pan came quite quickly, but as you can see its the same pan as the original.

I did email them about the 'new' model.   Ill wait a few days and email again

both pans together work fine, stacked

but I wonder where the ridged pan pits in with their business plan.

and why have a 'working' prototype w the third button then not produce it ?

• Like 1

Well now, no proofing, no baking and no quarter sheet pans.  That just may not work for me after all.  I'll just have to think on it a bit longer.

Yeah the most disappointing feature Is its inability to accommodate what most of us consider to be a normal size loaf of bread. Nor can it easily accommodate a baking stone. It has other redeeming features but bread baking is not a strong point. I have done it as have others but there are better ways to proof and bake bread in my opinion.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I remember

I drool 

just saying.

Never said it couldn't be done. I can also hammer in a nail with a screwdriver. A hammer does it more efficiently and for a wider range of sizes of nails. If you want to bake flatbreads, quick breads or small loaves..... But if you want to do some serious bread baking there are better ways.

My 2004 eG Blog

""  But if you want to do some serious bread baking there are better ways. ""

yes  I totally agree.

no one would get the CSB for baking bread.

but if you have it

and not oven .....

there it is.

Absolutely. But if the requirement to bake bread held sway over all other reasons to purchase this oven then it just doesn't measure up. On the other hand if you wanted great toast or a way to reheat KFC's chicken to be almost indistinguishable from fresh......

My 2004 eG Blog

Absolutely. But if the requirement to bake bread held sway over all other reasons to purchase this oven then it just doesn't measure up. On the other hand if you wanted great toast or a way to reheat KFC's chicken to be almost indistinguishable from fresh......

Oh my, yes, I would love great toast, which I don't get with my BSO and I LOVE the idea of reheating with steam.

Maybe I do need one after all.

Weino, that round loaf is insanely beautiful!!! I want to make it!

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 1

This won't be news to people who have decent toaster ovens, and you really don't need steam for this, but I like to cook lasagne in the Cuisinart. I don't make my own pasta, I do really like these ones:

IMGP5263.JPG

The lasagne sheets fit perfectly in a small casserole dish (just over 7" x 9") that fits perfectly inside the CSO, I just round the corners. 

IMGP5264.JPG

IMGP5268.JPG

IMGP5270.JPG

I usually cook it with a bit of steam because I think it can get a bit too dry in a regular oven cycle. 

This makes four generous portions. Perfect if we have another couple over for dinner, or if we want some leftovers (but not too much). 

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 2

FP :

what are the dimensions of that casserole  ?

i have some in that pattern but Ill have to look them over for the CSB

About 7.5 " x 9.5 " width and length along the top. A bit smaller across the bottom - more like 6.5" x 8.5". 

Height or depth is about 2.75".