• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 1)

weinoo

I do have one. I think I was an early adopter. Bought it early in 2014. I use it all the time (toast and all), but I am not very adventurous. That is why I joined this group, hoping to get out of my rut and make better use of my CSB. All that being said, if it stopped working today, I would have another one in the house by tomorrow morning, price be damned (kinda like my Vitamix).

I have done quite a few chicken iterations, lots of fish, and potatoes galore. I am more hesitant with meat (roasts, chops, shanks, etc.). Also, I am iffy on using CSB in place of my microwave to reheat food. There are only two of us living here, but I continue to cook as if I were feeding thrashers (yes, I am old enough to know what a thrasher is). It is in my DNA. My mother always wanted to cook enough food for our family, plus plenty for anyone who might drop by. On those rare occasions when we ran short when unexpected guests arrived, Mom always herded us into the kitchen and quietly whispered, "FHB." That was short for "Family Hold Back." Most of the prepared meal then went to our guests while we all filled up on bread.

But, I digress. My point (and I did have one) was that my husband and I always have tons of leftovers. So I would love to learn the finer points of restoring yesterday's dinner to all of its glory. Have any of you SteamBoy experts found any other internet resources for CSB insights?

its a shame the early sales seem to have evaporated.

what ever you pay, and after a short learning curve  well worth it.

Yeah, not many sale prices anymore for the Steam Oven. I think jrshaul is in the US, where the best deal is probably Bed, Bath and Beyond (as rotuts will tell you, you can always find a 20% off coupon). Amazon used to have it priced around $240, I think, but no more. But with BB&B's coupon, that's the same price. 

If you are in Canada, The Bay used it have it on sale for $225 to $250. That's a great deal for Americans (given the current exchange rate), if you are visiting in Canada and if they actually had that sale price again!

But a couple of other choices for Canadians or for mile/points collectors. I acquired a 2nd steam oven (for 2nd house) through Aeroplan miles - Air Canada frequent flyer plan. I had some orphaned miles and redeemed them for the steam oven, but I'm not sure that they are still offering the Cuisinart oven through their rewards. However, Air Miles is also offering it, for 2400 Air Miles. That's not a bad option if you can't make better use of the miles through travel.   

But, I digress. My point (and I did have one) was that my husband and I always have tons of leftovers. So I would love to learn the finer points of restoring yesterday's dinner to all of its glory. Have any of you SteamBoy experts found any other internet resources for CSB insights?

Nothing reheats better than the Steam Girl, in my opinion.

350F steam for about 10 - 12 minutes, and I end up with perfectly reheated rice dishes, pasta,  etc.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered one from Costco today $249.99 plus tax.  I've been eyeing one for awhile, but I couldn't justify buying it to my husband since we had a Cuisinart Exact Heat Convection oven which we both loved.  Unfortunately, after 7/8 years of quality service our oven gave up the ghost and died two days ago. I cook almost everything in that oven, so it had to be replaced immediately.  Our local BBB did not have the CSO in store, so I was forced to search online.  It was $299 at BBB, WS, and Amazon.  I would have gladly paid that, but I checked with Costco, which is where I purchased my previous oven, I'm so glad I did, saved $50. Now the question is, how do I manage cooking without my convection oven until the CSO arrives?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I've been meaning to post this for a bit, but keep forgetting. I bought one of these ovens in the US last year and bought another in Canada this year. Here are a few differences between the two I own. 

The newer Canadian one is bilingual, of course.  

IMGP5253.JPG

And the newer one has a better quality baking sheet, which doesn't warp the way the other (flat) one does. 

IMGP5216.JPG

It also has some differences in the bottom of the oven, as seen here. The other one is completely flat. I assume this is to aid in draining. 

IMGP5221.JPG

I still use this little oven all the time. It's a great toaster and I love the steam function. I used it a lot this summer to steam-roast fresh tomatoes from the farmer's market, which I would then freeze. I remove the stems and steam-roast until the tomatoes start to char a bit. After cooling a bit, the skins slip off and I put them in freezer bags to freeze. They are lovely for sauces and soups, making lasagne or other casseroles. I mix the type of tomatoes I use, but often include some Romas.

IMGP5185.JPG 

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 4

I would be pleasantly surprised to find that Canada has these innovations before the US. We tend to lag behind sometimes due to population and demand. Perhaps someone down "south" could check one out in BBB or some such to see if these differences are evident in the US stock. I don't expect to hear you have embraced bilingualism  :raz: .

p

bed and bath no longer has these on display, nor does WmSonoma.  they are 299 on line at each place

:huh:

SulaTable does not carry them.

do you feel the 'new' canadian drip pan is sturdy enough that you'd get is as an add on ?

FauxPas

thank you for bringing this up

I called Cuisi    800 726 0190

and asked about the new sturdier pan. I wanted to order it.  its about 12.99 or so.

I was ***** very polite *****  and suggested the one w v.1 was flimsy.  they knew all about it

They asked for the SN of my CSB .  v.1

its on the back supposedly in the central area   serial :

but on mine that's blank.   I did see a number under the water tank but in the metal area and that turns out to be it.

they are sending me the new sturdier pan for free

:biggrin:

Im sure mine is out of warranty, but ....  they mentioned the flimsy-ness of the original pan.  first .

:biggrin:

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 5

rotuts, that is a terrific outcome! The new pan is definitely a lot better than the old one. I have heard it softly 'ping' in the oven now and then, but I have never noticed it actually warping like the old one did. The old one was awful. 

Ha! Yes, I have two of them! One for the Canadian house and one was supposed to be for the AZ house. But one is currently in our rental property and the tenant there loves it, so there is a chance I may even end up buying a third one. Or redeeming some Air Miles, that program sometimes has them available as a reward and I have some miles that have been sitting around for a long time. 

• Like 1

FP

Congratulations !  Serious Cookers Here ( who won't be mentioned   :huh: to be a bit polite  not you know gf, have None ! )

if I got my Watts and Amps sorted out  ( sloth is all it is )  and there appeared a CSB v.2 for what I paid for mine  ....

well Id run them at the same time.

in the fall and the winter

I take my CSB outside in the Hot Summer and that also works well  ....

you just have to remember to bring it in for the night !~

• Like 1

You guys are killing me!!!!!   I simply do not need another kitchen appliance and I do not need another toaster oven even if it's better than my Breville smart Oven.

But I am so w-e-a-k.....

• Like 1

You guys are killing me!!!!!   I simply do not need another kitchen appliance and I do not need another toaster oven even if it's better than my Breville smart Oven.

But I am so w-e-a-k.....

I feel myself getting weaker, and weaker the more I read this thread :sad:  :sad:

I don't need another appliance!  Oh, darn it.  My DH asks "where are you going to put it? Huh, where???"

I say, where there is a will, there is a way.

Oh, dear, I'm feeling faint!

• Like 2

the steam comes out the back while cooking.  this is mentioned if you scroll through the thread.

so not under the counter.

it does not quite fit the 1/4 sheet pan as the BVXL does.

however, steam cooking more than makes up for this.

the buzz word is ' more than '

its also lighter than the BVXL, even w the water tank full.

its very easy to move around.

it got 'hand-slots' on each side.

I was also under the impression that the v.2 had a sl different number  

but perhaps not.  check to see which you are actually getting

WSonoma has free shipping + 15 % off for your email address

its one time use.   that's the cheapest Ive seen it.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1