• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 1)

weinoo

PS :  I happen to walk by WS in the Maul, on the way to Apple to Breath in some Chips, and they did not have any CSB on display.

decided not to ask.  its the Apple Buzzz, not something you want to waste.

• Like 1

you are going to so love this puppy.

please report back on the ciabatta.  Id love to make something like this in it.

The ciabatta turned out nicely in this machine! I baked one loaf in there and one in my regular kitchen oven. The one in the cuisinart got great color; my kids reported back that they liked both loaves.... I need to work more on my bread because the crumb was horrible. Only a couple of nice air holes- but the bread was devoured.

I did the proof with steam at 100 for 15 minutes, then. Baked at bake/steam at 450 for 25 minutes. I am definitely going to keep at the ciabatta and also try the pain l'ancienne (both from Bread Baker's Apprentice).

As an aside, have made chicken thighs for dinner the last two nights and they were fantastic- moist with super crispy skin. Last night's I put pesto under the skin and sprinkled them with Cyprus sea salt. They were really fantastic. Tonight we're trying pork chops. I can't believe I have never had a toaster oven before & I'm really glad I followed this thread with such interest!image.jpg

• Like 2

iCongratulations.   Id love to hear more on all the bread you do in the CSB

esp the ciabatta once you perfect it.  Id love to make a 'decent' loaf w some sourdough flavor and good crumb for toast and

sandwiches.  well, toast w a lot of butter would be fine !

• Like 1

Williams Sonoma has them on clearance(in store only) for 179.00. I decided to call the WS outlet in Primm, NV since we are driving to Vegas on Sunday. Omg, it was 134.95 there. I got an additional 10% off for military. I have a Breville, however that price was too good to pass up.

• Like 4

One of my favorite ways to use it is to take short rib/chuck/pork shoulder etc, flavor, season (generally little or no liquid) and wrap tightly in parchment.  Wrap that whole packet in foil just to keep things neat and in it goes at 325F Covection Bake for 120 min.  Let it sit even after the cycle's done until it's cooled.  throw the packet in the fridge.  Next day, portion/shred and crisp in a frying pan.  The jus left in the packet makes great sauce.

• Like 1

Thanks for the pointers to the Williams Sonoma sale!  Got 2, one a floor model without box for an extra discount, too.  Although I'm lucky to cook often in a kitchen with a Gaggenau combi wall oven, it's good to have the steam oven option elsewhere, too!

It will take a bit to calibrate to cooking in the Cuisinart.  Here is my first effort at beets, following the Cuisinart manual recipe suggestion of steam-broil at 500 for 30 min.  I used peeled and cut red beets, yellow beets, and parsnips.  The steam broil left the pan still watery, so cleanup was easy. Parsnips very soft, beets firm but cooked through.

The pan just out of the oven:

broilsteampan.jpg

Close up:

broilsteamcloseup.jpg

• Like 3

Bake steam whole cauliflower 30 minutes at 350 degrees.  Prior to baking I rubbed it with mixture of yogurt and several different spices.  It came out super tender but was still holding together nicely when cut into quarters.  Left overs were reheated at 300 degrees steam for about 11 minutes couple days later.  

cauli.jpg

• Like 5

Bake steam whole cauliflower 30 minutes at 350 degrees.  Prior to baking I rubbed it with mixture of yogurt and several different spices.  It came out super tender but was still holding together nicely when cut into quarters.  Left overs were reheated at 300 degrees steam for about 11 minutes couple days later.

Looks amazing. Kerry and I compared notes a while back. We both noted a couple of occasions when we missed that oven. However, neither one of us missed it enough to give up counterspace to it! But I will be putting your cauliflower on the menu for when we reunite with it in October.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

When I started using a Gaggenau steam oven I found we almost never used the microwave anymore, since the steam oven's 'regenerating' setting reheats a plate of fridge-temp leftovers in 12-15 minutes and with much better results than the microwave.  And I was willing to wait 15 minutes for great food.

The Cuisinart manual suggests 'Bake Steam' at 250 degrees for 20 minutes.  However, I found it left most food a little dryer than I liked.  

But ..  "Super Steam" at 250 for 15 minutes has worked great for reheating wet leftovers (stews, curries, stir fries, basically anything you don't want dried out or crispy). 

I wonder if there is a way to do two shelves of plates in it.  

minor additions to the 'turkey-ML' studies above:

ground turkey was again on sale, so I thought Id make two as the previous ones are Long Gone.

same basic mix.  88 today here, so CSB went outside as before

I tried 325 steam, then with the pan in the lower rack, added Steam-Broil to brown the top bacon.

this took 40 min total for the same sized loaf.  I used the broiler-steam when the internal temp was 170 and after about 4 minutes

of steam-broil the bacon looked good and the internal temp was 180

to took the loaf (s) out to cool

after they were 'luke-warm' I made a 1/2 TML sandwich.  it was delicious on Home Made ( Machine ) bread,

that I now make w the whiteWholeWheat  1/2 the amount of yeast and all the water at 70 degrees which I mix up in a plastic container w lid and leave out over night.

in the AM I mix this up and when  the 'rise' gets high enough in the pan I use the 1 hour bake.

very nice bread.  might bake it a few minutes more.  very moist and a touch of 'sour'

• Like 1

Thanks for the pointer to the extra shelf, Mitch.  I will give a try to see if two plates can fit and cook in the same time -- might be too much mass to cook in 15 min still, but will try.

Love the look of the whole cauliflower -- any pointers to good marinades or do you just wing it, chefmd?

• Like 1

I tried the Vinegar Chicken with Peppers  recipe from the Cuisinart manual. The liquid from the vegetables and chicken filled the baking tray but did not spill over.

Here it is before going in to the oven:

chick thigh before.jpg

Here it is after 1 hour at Bake Steam at 300 degrees:

chick thigh after.jpg

And here it is plated:

chick thigh plate 2.jpg

I reserved the liquid for soup the next day.

Although the skin looks nicely roasted, it was not crisp.  Chicken meat was very moist.

• Like 2

We're at the tail end of winter here, and since I've had the CSO-300 it has become a preferred method of reheating frozen soups (sealed in a chamber vacuum, around 300g per bag, pushed out to an even, ~1cm thick slate).

Steam at 100c for 20 minutes gets it from frozen solid to a hot serving temperature.

• Like 1