• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 1)

weinoo

Rotuts, the first one I bought was sold under the Westinghouse Tritec Oven name - though it was not on the Westinghouse website and was not in way supported by Westinghouse. I bought a returned model off ebay, it was missing an o ring, but once I bought one and put it on, it worked okay. I just checked and I am surprised to see it is still available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Westinghouse-SA66915-Tritec-Oven-Stainless/dp/B0057R5KY2 it has a very confusing series of buttons and dials - you had to hit a certain button, then turn a different dial, and the water container was extremely small. I I subsequently bought the Viking VCSO after it had been discontinued, so I was able to pick it up at half price and it is like night and day. I think we need to get a critical mass of these units sold, so more people will clamor for them, once that happens, main stream makers, not just the high end lines, will start offering them at a reasonable price.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought this oven at Williams Sonoma outlet. They have it on special for 149 dollars. They will also ship, not sure how much it will cost.

I wanted it, was not sure I needed it, had to take it home for this price. Now the fun part: cooking with it.

This was a ceramics piece that was gifted to me by someone. I was afraid that it was too thick but there was no problem. It is like a small casserole dish with lid. I do not have fuzzy logic rice cooker but have a regular rice cooker. Rice tastes very similar to what I remember but you can make much larger amount in rice cooker.

I can report an interesting result of bread making in a steam oven compared to a traditional oven.

I didn't think to take pictures, but my wife made 2 loves of bread - one in the steam oven using the program for white bread (which provided Steam for the start and then just convection heat for the majority of the 40 min cook time) and the other in the normal oven following the directions of the recipe (450 preheat - reduced to 425 then cooked for 30 mins).

The interior of the two bread was nearly identical but the crust was far superior on the steam oven baked bread. The Bottom of the oven cooked one was much darker and slightly burnt.

This is in a Thermadore Steam/Convection combo oven.

• Like 1

from what Ive seen on the Great British Menu Series, ( multiple ) once one understands the steam oven

""Zero attention while cooking.""

that seems to be what those chef's think.

push the wrong buttons by mistake, then its a different matter.

Edited by rotuts (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I hear what you are saying about Egullet inspired purchases: vac sealer, sous vide rig, vitamix, meat grinder, sausage stuffer, on the counter convection oven, numerous cookbooks!, and counting. BUT I am not getting one, I am not getting one, I am not.........not!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

make sure you try to get the extra 10% off w anew email address

this is a one time thing unless you have several email address's    :huh:

they did not send me the coupon to a gmail address    :sad:

• Like 1

Interesting that if I click the link it comes up as $265.66 cdn plus shipping! Not that I have any intentions of buying it though I would volunteer to test it! The video doesn't do anything to sell its features in my opinion.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Well, I've been using my combo oven steadily since, well, the beginning of January.

a. It still works.

b. I really like the quality of the toast. and everything else I do in it...mostly roasted vegetables,  occasional poultry, reheating.  
Does it do things better than the Breville? Hard to say - I don't have a Breville here.  

c. I make it a habit of cleaning the interior just by wiping down with a damp sponge every time I use the steam function as the oven cools down.  The interior looks practically brand new,

d. Just tonight, for example, I steam roasted the side of vegetables shown here...375°F convection steam for 15 minutes and then 375°F just on bake for another 10.  

14_04_06_001.JPG

AT $199, if you can get another 10% off via a first-time purchase, I think it's a good buy.   

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Your veggies look lovely and thank you for discussing the clean-up as I did wonder about that. I think you might have helped me make a couple of decisions here and I just went and ordered the Combo oven! Thanks to you and rotuts both! 

I had to decide between the 10% or free shipping. I went with the free shipping as it was higher than 10% - $22, I believe. I had to do rush shipping as we are heading north for the summer next week and I want to take the oven with us. 

Thank you so much, guys, and I hope to report some lovely meals helped by my new toy!!!   :smile:

This morning, I wanted to try baking something again. So, on regular bake (no steam) I baked a banana bread. Nick Malgieri's recipe, for those who care...

2014_04_12_019.JPG

It smells and looks pretty good. Still cooling, so haven't cut into it.

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Your bread looks quite appealing! It seems some toaster ovens give overcooked areas but yours looks nicely and evenly baked, is that the case? 

I tried out the oven for the first time last night (have been travelling), and I love the Steam Bake function. I made a meat loaf in the full-size oven the night before and wanted to reheat some for a second dinner. The Cuisinart's Steam Bake was perfect for reheating - nicely heated throughout and no drying out. The bit of steam really kept things moist. About 15 minutes on Steam Bake at about 300F. 

Really want to try some fresh salmon and artichokes. 

Your bread looks quite appealing! It seems some toaster ovens give overcooked areas but yours looks nicely and evenly baked, is that the case?  

Yes, quite evenly baked.  I covered it with a piece of aluminum foil for the last 15 minutes or so.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

• 1 month later...

I have been using this little oven quite a bit and really feel that it was a good purchase. I've made mini-baguettes, reheated a lot of leftovers, steamed a lot of veggies and used it more and more for basic cooking. I steamed a pork tenderloin the other day which turned out wonderfully. Steamed at 150F and then pan-seared and it came out with just the slightest hint of pink in the centre and not at all dried out. 

It's a great little oven to use for cooking for two. In warm weather it is a great alternative to a full-size oven as it doesn't require much or any preheating and the room stays cooler.

I have a few pics that I took but can't find them right now. I'll try posting them later. 

In the meantime, I have a question for other owners. There are two elements in the bottom of the oven and three in the top. Four of the five elements heat up and illuminate or turn orange/red at high heat but the centre upper element never does get that hot. I was wondering if this was a defect in my oven but when I emailed the support site, they replied and said it was working properly as is. Still, I'd like to check with other owners - do all five of your elements heat right up or just the same four as mine? 

Also here is a blog devoted to cooking with the VZUG Combi-Steam oven. Because it has some unique settings, not all recipes are easily translated but it looked like there might be a few ideas:

http://combi-steamqueen.blogspot.com.au/

And here's a web site that has similar intent but I think the content is different. (Sorry, only had time to quickly glance at them, but thought they might be relevant to this thread.)

http://steamcookinguk.net/ 

Edited by FauxPas (log)