• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 1)

weinoo

You know, I toasted half a bagel and a slice of multi-grain at the same time this morning. They came out great and I'm thinking - hey, this unit is pretty cool for Cuisinart.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Also, even though the preheating cycle is a joke (as it is in all ovens, imo), I stuck 2 oven thermometers in the unit and let it go for 30 minutes. They both read within 5 - 10 degrees of the oven setting, which is also impressive in my book.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 3

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I definitely think it toasts better than my Dualit toaster -- my main issue with that has always been that the single toast function kind of sucks for some reason. To think that the Dualit was roughly the same price. I think rotuts was talking elsewhere about fancy kitchen items....sounds like my dualit fits right in to be honest.

Edited by Unpopular Poet (log)

for $ 197.10 ( + tax your area ) w the WS 10 % coupon it really seems attractive for certain things

( BTW WS does not seem to want to send that coupon to Gmail. had to use a 'real e-address' )

I do have one concern: bread. the pics Ive seen on the reviews had the loafs with more or less over brown tops, which seems to also be a known issue w most if not all oven-toasters as the clearance on the top is quite tight if your item gets too close to the heating element.

My wife is going to be making bread this week -- I will have a full report. Also, my next venture is going to be something akin to the steamed cheeseburgers from Ted's in Meriden, CT -- I have never been there, just heard that they are amazing. Here is a youtube link to the cheeseburgers... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8YouisYQtE

I'm really not so worried about its ability to bake loaf bread, since I rarely do that. The reviewer that I linked above did a decent bread that he said tasted great. Once I get better arm usage, I will try some flatbreads (i.e. focaccia) however.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Oh No ! :hmmm:

Ive had those steamed burgers ! they are to die for. make sure you have a crusty bun to soak up that goodness.

worth 'Your Own Grind' even if its in the cuisinart processor . at least 15 + % fat. look for good beef.

think Bernaise or Hollandaise. those I eat :huh:

think 130 or 140.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

would there be a guess as to how long the water in the tank would last?

if that's ever an issue, would one turn the oven off, refill, then turn back on ?

Its too cold to move here but tomorrow might be better for me to motor down to BB$B to take a few more measurements.

for 197.10 this would qualify as "Lab Equipment" or "Experimental Apparatus" or "Cool Toy" for me.

the auto steam rise appeals, as does the 'steam burger' which might translate to "Steam Meat-Loaf" w the eye on future sandwiches.

Experimental Sandwiches you see.

for the focaccia, would you plan to use the pan it came with or find something a like pyrex? the 9 x 9 pyrex fits right in there.

Edited by rotuts (log)

like to learn a bit more on the 1/8 sheet pans.

an 11 " pizza pan fits ?

Id think about evaluating those aluminum "disposable' pan in every supermarket

no need to toss them, I dont: parchment paper works well w these

and you can easily 'modify' them with your bare hands.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

An 11" pizza pan should fit, since my 11.5" round cazuela fits with a little room to spare.

Check this out...

Polar Ware

Or this...

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/chicago-metallic-41800-eighth-size-aluminum-sheet-pan-6-1-2-x-9-1-2/32641800.html

Edited by weinoo (log)

Tasty Travails - My Blog

So I ran my tank for 120 minutes and I would say that the tank was probably 2/3 full when the cycle was done. You can only run the machine for a maximum of 120 minute before you re-up the countdown, so I don't see there being an issue with pulling the tank and refilling when need be.

Indeed. thats been the price at BB$B all along so something was up at WS.

so its now $ 240 at BB$B w that ubiquitous coupon.

Amazon at $ 299 also

Im pleased I snuck in at 197. it gives me something Ive been interested in for a long time to study.

Im pleased I snuck in at 197. it gives me something Ive been interested in for a long time to study.

Yeah - me too. Always feels good to get something at a steep discount. Maybe they'll do Vitamix next!

Tasty Travails - My Blog