• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 1)

weinoo

I know, I know - everyone who has one raves about the Breville. Owners are convinced it's the best thing since, well, sliced bread.

But what about this Cuisinart? The price is gentle, it gets good reviews - including this rave in Food & Wine.

Anyone have one? Thoughts?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I've been thinking about this for a while. I don't need one but I want one. From what I understand, the temp control is good enough at the low end to do sous vide-like tricks with meats. The interior looks small. But that price at WS is amazing. If I had more counterspace...

Edited by gfweb (log)

exactly. they goofed it up a bit by not understanding the importance of the 1/4 sheet pan

or the 13 x 9 brownie pan.

BTW Im quite keen on something like this for Home Made Bread

they are a bit mis-leading in the sense that you can not 'proof' the dough in the oven

the lowest setting are too hot.

Breville : En Garde !

BTW in thinking about the Cuisinart, you wont be able to put this one under the counter even if the cabinet bottoms are a decent height above it : think of all that hot water vapor.

they must have decided on the optimal foot-print similar to the Breville-xl then had to decrease the size of the oven due to the space requirement of the water reservoir.

another Amazon comment to give pause:

"" the whole oven gets super sticky and slimy with fat and grease ""

continues along this vein and difficult to clean when the fat cools

no wonder the restaurant models have a 'steam clean' feature.

time will tell ...

its not so much a single review, but what a review says might suggest you think about things you haven't thought about.

the sheet pan issue is obviuos

but the ( possible ) clean up on a steam oven vs a regular one does indeed merit further review.

another Amazon comment to give pause:

"" the whole oven gets super sticky and slimy with fat and grease ""

continues along this vein and difficult to clean when the fat cools

no wonder the restaurant models have a 'steam clean' feature.

time will tell ...

But on the second page of reviews, 3 different reviewers all say that the oven is easy to clean or clean-up is easy. I wonder what the difference is with the reviewer you quote? Cooking very different types of foods?

Edited by FauxPas (log)

I happen to find myself at BB&B, just now :huh:

so I thought Id take a look: they sell the Cuisi-steam for 300.

these pans 'just fit' < L **** R >

http://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Metallic-Non-Stick-4-Piece-Toaster/dp/B0001WPNA4/ref=sr_1_10?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1388160932&sr=1-10&keywords=chicago+metallic

you can see the size on the amazon page.

the broiler pan that comes w the unit is smaller L to R

those pans are stainless steel

It my understanding of the commercial combi-ovens is that they are 'plumbed in' w a drain for cleaning

Im in no way trying to talk anybody out of this unit.

assuming Cuisinart is correct that a 5 lbs chicken fits in here, there is going to be splatter.

I cant say if clean up for some is different than others or related to what you cook.

the inside is stainless steel with two heating elements top and bottom.

hope to hear from eG members who put this through it paces.

Breville has to have taken notice. whether they plunge in or not cant say.

• Like 2

FWIW, full review from cnet.com.

The good: With multiple steam cooking settings, the CSO-300 successfully expands the functionality of the common toaster oven, and it sports a luxurious, easy-to-use interface, as well.

The bad: At $299, that new steam functionality doesn’t come cheap. On more traditional settings like toasting and broiling, the CSO-300 couldn’t consistently beat the less expensive competition, and when it did, it usually wasn’t by much.

The bottom line: Creative home chefs looking for a powerful, versatile alternative to their full-size oven should give the CSO-300 first consideration, but those just looking for something to heat up Pop-Tarts and Red Barons should stick with something less expensive.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Ive got it for the BV-XL

if they do the match, id go there if its convenient as they will always give you your money back if you keep the receipt

or a gift card if you loose it and its not on any current credit card.

they can easily check any current credit card for any past purchase made with that card while its current.

keep the box !

Edited by rotuts (log)

""" Cleaning the oven is rather easy. A tray at the bottom catches drips and crumbs, then slides out easily for quick cleanup. For heavier messes, you can always run a 30-minute steam cycle to loosen things up, then wipe the interior clean with a damp cloth. ""

from the above review.